What glue to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What glue to use?

I have a 1998 Lumina LS and the door lock switch on the drivers side pushed back into the door on one side of the plastic "triangle" cover plate. I bought a new switch and instead of buying a new off color cover plate and/or painting it to match the other cover plates(my cover is leather colored and not available); I want to glue the new switch back in. the switch hold tabs are broken on one side but are intact on the other. Can I glue this new switch in on the broken side with model cement (the cover is ABS plastic) or could I use epoxy or does the switch plastic not work with cements or glues? Does anyone have a better recommendation for mounting the switch?

If it were my car and needed to fix it I would rough up the plastic with some sandpaper on the switch and panel and try some epoxy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I had the same issue. Super glue failed in days.

I cut a plastic cd cover to fit and used JB Cold weld (an epoxy as PRocket metioned). I also used RTV to keep the knob from wiggling around on the metal rod actuator thingy. 1 year later it still holds (cross fingers).

Do not squeeze epoxy onto the knob slider or else it will stick and fail by breaking the tabs again (wanting to move out if it can't move forward/back).

You COULD epoxy the knob to the metal rod and just place the cover over that. I considered that if the epoxy failed, but so far so good.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Working...
      X