What is this guy telling me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this guy telling me?

Regarding an engine swap into an Opel (other members have swapped 60ºV6, so this is nothing new...)

Originally posted by Red0ktober View Post
    ...So I'm opting for a plentiful GM 60º V6 and a ubiquitous T5 5-speed (I already have them).
    Originally posted by wrench459 View Post
    A word of warning with the 60.
    There banked injection and are getting long in the tooth.
    I would first remove the six pin connector.
    IIRC ohm the pink/black to each leg...light/green..light/blue.
    If they ohm out close to each other your golden.
    For what it's worth I had one just today.
    4.1 ohms on one bank..3.2 ohms on the other.
    Friggin shorted injector:banghead:
    I have a complete wrecked but still running and drivable '93 Cavalier Z24 with the Gen-II 3.1L 60ºV6. I'll try to remember to check the injectors at some point, but it does run great...
    The 93 3.1L is still banked.
    The kicker is the idle air control valve...it's a stepper.
    The density system uses the IAC as a virtual MAF.
    Go figure...
    Oh and it's multi-plexed with the EGR valve
    Originally posted by Red0ktober
    150k miles later and it all seems to work just fine. I'm not worried.

I have to stick with the older engines because they use a stamped steel oil pan instead of the structural aluminum ones on the Gen-3+. No RWD pans available for the newer ones and they are much harder to modify.
    My job is to find out whats wrong with the system.
    Ok yours is working good for now. Good for you.
    When it goes down....
    Do you have something to suggest, other than the fact that a medium-high mileage and twenty year old engine might eventually develop problems?
    Originally posted by wrench459
    I've seen NEW vehicles being deliverer at the dealership
    with massive problems.

Now your asking about 20 year old pita's?

Do you know what the PCM connector was rated for?
    Connect at the factory 1
    Disconnect at the dealership for warranty work 2
    Three strikes your out most of the times.
    Yes you can get away with with it some of the times BUT not ALL of the times.
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

IAC a virtual MAF? I think he forgot the give part of "puff, puff, give" and kept puffing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The 93 3.1L is still banked.
      The kicker is the idle air control valve...it's a stepper.
      The density system uses the IAC as a virtual MAF.
      Go figure...
      Oh and it's multi-plexed with the EGR valve
      At first I thought it might be prudent to check the impedance on the injectors, but at this point I was thinking

Comment

Well checking an engine for shorted injectors does make sense to me, but I think half of what he told you he said while tripping balls or high as a kite.

I mean, who wouldn't want a structural oil pan when modifying an engine for power? If he means its too hard to tap for an oil return I don't believe it is.

And the PCM connectors... If they were that bad at maintaining a connection after being reconnected 2-3 times I don't think there is a car out there that would make it out of the warranty period without a harness swap.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-21-2013, 07:48 AM.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, just some guy that believes he knows more than he really does.

It seems he's under the misconception that batch fire (The genII 3.1 is really batch fire and not "bank to bank"), is somehow a problem, or maybe inferior to SFI which is definitely not the case.

I don't understand the IAC as virtual MAF, he must not understand the function of an IAC (which MAF systems still had) or what a MAF does, and they do two very different things.

Also what's multiplexed with the EGR? If he's talking ECM control of the EGR, it has it's own drivers and control lines.

I have yet to find any OEM connector that fails after being disconnected and re-connected 3 times. I've have my ECMs unplugged dozens of times each, without any issue.

It's just some guy trying to sound smart, but making himself out to be quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            I mean, who wouldn't want a structural oil pan when modifying an engine for power? If he means its too hard to tap for an oil return I don't believe it is.
            I said that bit. I would like to use a Gen-3/4 block, I have an LX9 that I would love to use for something. I boxed the aluminum FWD pan to go over the Opel crossmember, it still doesn't fit as nearly as nicely as a RWD steel pan though. And my RWD motor mount options are reduced as well. I can't modify the crossmember much because of the transverse leaf suspension. Since I have the Gen-2 already, I'm just going to use that with all the Trooper and Camaro RWD parts I have laying around.

Comment

IAC a virtual MAF? I think he forgot the give part of "puff, puff, give" and kept puffing.
              moar below.

And the PCM connectors... If they were that bad at maintaining a connection after being reconnected 2-3 times I don't think there is a car out there that would make it out of the warranty period without a harness swap
              moar below.

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
              Yeah, just some guy that believes he knows more than he really does.

It seems he's under the misconception that batch fire (The genII 3.1 is really batch fire and not "bank to bank"), is somehow a problem, or maybe inferior to SFI which is definitely not the case.

I don't understand the IAC as virtual MAF, he must not understand the function of an IAC (which MAF systems still had) or what a MAF does, and they do two very different things.

Also what's multiplexed with the EGR? If he's talking ECM control of the EGR, it has it's own drivers and control lines.

I have yet to find any OEM connector that fails after being disconnected and re-connected 3 times. I've have my ECMs unplugged dozens of times each, without any issue.

It's just some guy trying to sound smart, but making himself out to be quite the opposite.
              and it seems most of the questions were already answered.....

anyways, "IAC as virtual MAF", i can see where this thought comes from. the hybrid alpha-n idle used with the MPFI V6 calibrations could be described that way, since IAC position and learned IAC minimum position are a LARGE factor in determining fueling IF THE FLAG IS ENABLED AND SCALARS ALLOW IT. literally the first thing i disable in every 60V6 calibration, otherwise weird fueling inconsistencies pop up. i also removed the possibility entirely with nAst1, that is how much i dislike it.

no 60V6 was ever operated in bank mode unless you count the TBI setups(i think), but those are certainly not the topic here. most are wired to appear as such if you don't know that 7727/7730 and their descendants use a single driver that shares load across two pins.

i don't even know what is being implied with EGR.

i've connected and disconnected the 7727 style PCMs many times without issue. dozens would also apply to me as well.

he knows something, but his wires seem to be crossed about certain aspects.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Drunk, high or tremendously misinformed... pick 2.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                X