Integrating DIC Into Our Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrating DIC Into Our Cars

Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on here, but I had a question that I couldn't find any information on, so here it is. I've noticed a lot of late 90's/early 2000's gm's have what they call DIC (Drivers Information Center) that includes features like instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, range, fuel left in tank, and trip meter. I was just wondering how hard it would be to incorporate this into our cars, and if it were possible, what would it take to get this feature working? What I was thinking would be easiest would be to take an overhead console from a 98-up Blazer/Jimmy, and throwing that in there, along with the compass and outside temperature. I'd love to have this, basically as a reminder to stop driving like a jackass. Lol. Thanks in advance guys!!
    -1997 Monte Carlo Z34. 1997 LQ1 with 95 cams, paired with a freshly rebuilt 4t65e. Still working out a few problems but its good to have it back after 4 months!

sigpic

Easiest way to get that is Scangauge or Ultragauge. This is how it was mounted in my buick.

2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)

2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

1998 Sandrift Metallic Buick Century Limited (Traded in)

Comment

Huh. I think I've seen those before. IIRC they just plug into your OBD-II port, right? Is it pretty accurate or what? I'm thinking if that works through the OBD-II system then it wouldn't be that hard to integrate the factory system. I might have to look into this
      -1997 Monte Carlo Z34. 1997 LQ1 with 95 cams, paired with a freshly rebuilt 4t65e. Still working out a few problems but its good to have it back after 4 months!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by farley463 View Post
        Huh. I think I've seen those before. IIRC they just plug into your OBD-II port, right? Is it pretty accurate or what? I'm thinking if that works through the OBD-II system then it wouldn't be that hard to integrate the factory system. I might have to look into this
        Yes the Scangauge pictured is plugged into OBD II port and cord tucked under the dash. I haven't put it in the ECO yet to verify how optimistic the DIC is since it reads higher than what it really is and OnStar MPG is even higher than that number. I don't know where I want to mount it exactly.
        2013 Black Granite Metallic Chevy Cruze ECO 6MT (DD)

2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)

1998 Sandrift Metallic Buick Century Limited (Traded in)

Comment

the only significant issue with using a factory piece is that the communications scheme that the factory DIC relies upon may or may not be present/possible with your PCM/calibration. it doesn't use generic PID requests.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            the only significant issue with using a factory piece is that the communications scheme that the factory DIC relies upon may or may not be present/possible with your PCM/calibration. it doesn't use generic PID requests.
            Oh, alright, I guess that makes sense. I was just wondering because I do believe the 96 Grand Prix's came with the DIC, and they also had the same engine as I do, which makes me think that they share the same PCM. If it makes any difference, I have a 97 Monte Carlo Z34 with the LQ1 and 4T65e. I'll have to get onto Ondemand5 at my school and look up the diagrams.

sigpic

Comment

similar PCM, but not the same. the 96 used a rather non-standard 256KB calibration, compared to the 97-later. it MAY work as-is with a 96 GP DIC, but i wouldn't know.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
              X