Home Made Modular Electric Engine Component Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Modular Electric Engine Component Hoist

For the “CLIFF -NOTES” facts/figures/descriptions of this Home Made Modular Electric Engine Component Hoist device, please see the highlighted portion at the bottom of this tome:

Shakespeare wrote in the play about Hamlet that, “Troubles come... Not as Single Spies... but in Batallions...” Back in February of this year, I was working on my son's 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer by removing engine components in preparation to remove the 90 lb aluminum head due to burnt exhaust valves after the vehicle had traveled around 250,000 miles flawlessly prior to this failure. In the course of working on the engine through the driver's side wheel well, I very badly injured my lower back, losing sensation, feeling and control of my left leg. After being bedridden for around two months, I finally had a Cadillac of an operation (Micro-Discectomy in the L-4,L-5 region of my spine removing an oyster sized portion of the inner disc(s). That very real problem had stopped me in my tracks and pretty much put the Kibosh on my ability to finish the repair job and replacing the Vortec 4.2L Atlas Engine cylinder head... or doing anything else for that matter...and so then... time passes...

After months of physical re-hab and and no small amount of effort, I've manged to get back to walking around again, albeit in a very clumsy manner with a cane, but I'm no longer able to bend and pick up weighty things or do the marathon repairs as I have on so many occasions in the past. Even so... these difficulties have not defeated me and had little if any impact whatsoever on my ability to think and to solve problems. To that end, I recently to put some serious, creative thought into coming up with a mix of mechanics and carpentry that may prove to be an elegant solution to the problem. I had already decided not to use my Transformer like 2.5 ton hydraulic Cherry Picker Engine Hoist because it would require me to be in two places at the same time to either raise or lower the lift while either removing or guiding the old head off and out from under the hood or installing the new one with a precision alignment of this 90 lb chunk of aluminum to the head gasket and not FUBAR myself up again while doing so.

What I wanted had to be something I could both build or disassemble while sitting down in a folding chair and then after the job is finished, reduce the components into manageable parts and pieces I could put away in my garage with ease. I thought it would have to be something that was strong enough to span a lateral distance of 7 feet on the width and have a height of 4 feet 7 inches with a dual base having the wheels 2 feet apart to accommodate moving over the engine compartment on ball bearing caster wheels along the driveway to reach all the way back almost to the engine firewall. In addition, it would require four symmetrical upright supports and two strong parallel cross top beams to accommodate a movable section of 2” X 6” that would hold a swiveling cable pulley. This device would be very useful in lifting/holding/guiding heavy engine heads, cast iron exhaust manifolds, headers as well as taking them from the bench to the installation site with the ease of micro-motions courtesy the electric throttling up and down switch.

And finally, I needed two swivel mounted pulleys to transfer the lift force from my Haulmaster Model 60344-47 Electric Hoist which will be bolted onto the passenger side wheel base mount at ground level, with the hoist cable guided vertically to the first pulley that will be attached to the underside of the cross-member and then routed 90 degrees over to the second pulley mounted underneath the middle of the same cross-member. Doing this pulley arrangement will allow the hoist cable and hook to move freely up and down, without having the big electric motor and hoist drive mechanism taking up all the space nearby and making it difficult to have easy access between the raised hood and the upper engine block. The cool part about this is that there are “STACK-IT BRACKETS” made for making firewood bins out of 2”X4” (Two By Fours) with built in slots at the correct X,Y,Z positions that allow for variable lengths of wood in all three axis and so the idea translates well into other uses besides just this one repair job and gives the builder the chance of a flexible application for the use of this device. Oh... and just in case anyone doubts that wood components might not be strong enough to hoist under these compression stress conditions, here is a link to the information necessary to know on the subject

Hello everyone. I have been working on putting my small hobby machine shop together for the past year. I purchased a really nice Craftsman/Atlas 12x24 lathe with a bunch of tooling a while back and have been shopping for a used bridgeport ever since. Two days ago a friend called and offered me a...

Home Made Modular Electric Engine Component Hoist

Parts List:

(1) One Haulmaster Model 60344-47 1,300 lb Electric Hoist @ HF- $169.00
    (2) Two Swiveling Hoist Snatch Block Anodized Wire-Rope Pulley Blocks @ Amazon $19.99
    (3) One 24” Harbor Freight Wood Dolly serve as the mobile base when scavenged @ HF $20.00
    (4) Seymour Stack-it Brackets Set of 8 @ Amazon $65.82 w/ free S&H
    (5) A Few Lbs of Flat-head Cad-plated 1” and 1 1/2” Screws to secure the brackets Home Depot
    (6) The Hillman Group 44079 M10-1.50 x 70 Metric Flange Bolt, 4-Pack for bolting the hoist to the Base/Wheels @ Amazon $13.60
    (7) Assorted Lengths of High Quality Two by Fours/Sixes to accommodate these dimensions:

a) 2 -- 2” X 4” X 7' For the Cross-members (Width)
    b) 4 – 2” X 4” X 4' 7” For the Vertical Struts (Length) Varies if Vehicle is Lifted!
    c) 2 – 2” X 6” X 3' For the Mobile Base/Electric Hoist Mount (Width)
    d) 4 – 2” X 4” X 3' For the Width Segments, Top and Bottom (Depth)

Do NOT use WHITE PINE for anything you want to depend upon for STRENGTH!

If there is any doubt about the strength of wood in use for this “Temporary Hoist” design:

Here is an excerpt from that link critical to using wood in this application:

Re: Weight Limits For Load Bearing Studs...
    "Although "varying by specie" is VERY true and something to be considered when you get outside the "norm" of standard framing material ... the rule of thumb would be 500lbs. per square inch of material = end grain carrying capacity. Thus a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece of material is 12.25 sq. inches of material = 6,125 lbs. of end grain support. I would use this number up till the point that member reached 8' of vertical hold without diagonal bracing. If the 4x4 were used in a shed with rated sheathing on the exterior wall ... the original number will hold.

As far as the "cracking" that you see ... it's called "checking." Very common in all materials 3" thick or thicker. I do a lot of post and beam construction and it's one of my many headaches trying to explain to HOs that have exposed beams and see this happen. I've had them ask "how do you fix it" ... my general response is "that's wood ... that's what it does ... and quite frankly, those that truly "love" wood ... enjoy every bit of character it adds ... speaking of character ... I threw that in for free." Most times they just laugh and understand.
    EasTnBldr is offline Reply With Quote
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 10-11-2015, 10:30 PM.

With the exception of the part contributed by Shakespeare and the part concerning my injuries...Disregard almost everything I agonized over above...

Geoffrey Occam posited that:

"The Simplest Explanation or Solution to a Problem...is almost always 100% CORRECT"

I might be paraphrasing a bit but... since I have been accused on more than one forum or another and on more than one occasion of Over-Engineering my inventions and since I was well on my way to proving their point, I feel fortunate to have dreamed this solution up as a hopefully better and more useful idea. Instead of all that previous Rigamarole ... I may have just beat the record for having taken three separate and distinct Harbor Freight Heavy Duty Tools and managed to blend all three into one device that still allows all three components to either work in concert one with the other... or be separated very easily and have each one remain intact and fully functional to their intended purposes when they go their separate ways:

Ladies and Gentleman... Without Further Ado... I give you... "The FrankenLifter" ....LOL

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

COMPONENTS:

All from Harbor Freight Tools in Largo, Florida

2 Ton Hydraulic Lift (This the Primary Lift and it Remains UN-MODIFIED)
    1,300 LB Electric Garage Hoist (Bolted over the 2 ton Cross-Beam with adapted HW-4-Longer M10 X 70 Bolts and 2 factory brackets)
    2 Ton Pittsburgh Floor Jack Cross-Beam ( The beam is disassembled with the center square tube inverted and then all 3 parts combined)
    2 High Quality Pulleys with hardware allowance for dis-assembly to introduce the steel cable
    Some Basic Tools
    Stainless Steel Large U-bolt t(To provide a pivot point at a Right Angle to the Electric Motor and fitted in front of a Large Cross Bolt)

Now I can pull the Trailblazer 4.2L Engine Head with micro-control and support items like the heavy cast iron exhaust manifold or... lift the front of the engine with ease long enough to pull out the motor mounts and drop in new ones... and NOT wind up getting injured again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 11-01-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

unnecessary overcomplexity is a vice of mine as well... good to see you found a route that will appear to give you at least the same level of capability without nearly the amount of auxiliary components.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Okay... I finally was able to play Garage Rubik's Cube well enough to make the necessary room I needed to finally test out "The FrankenLifter". I conducted a pretty good series of very successful tests and I observed some issues regarding Common Sense Safety that I will address below. I posted the 42 additional images on my Photobucket at this link:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

A Word or Two about How to Use this Device SAFELY!

If you create your version of this device or use the design I have described, you assume full and entire responsibility and liability for doing so and shall hold harmless all, corporations, entities, and persons, living, dead and even those not born yet, harmless for any actions you take regarding the use of this device in every imaginable manner.

Do NOT....:

Do NOT Run the Hoist Cable all the way to the Top Outer Pulley and THEN also try to use the Hydraulic Lift Pump handle afterwards! DOING THIS IS DANGEROUS!
        Why? Because when the cable Hook is foreshortened right up against the Upper Pulley... actuating the Hydraulic Arm has enough built in force to PULL THE CABLE TO HOOK CLEAN APART ...WITH OBVIOUS DISASTROUS RESULTS!
        What should I do instead?
        First... if you need a greater lift angle from the Lift Arm...you should lower the cable hook to be below the upper support arm by AT LEAST ONE FOOT! Then as you use the Hydraulic Jack Handle to elevate the Lift Arm...you will notice that as the Lift Arm rises... the Cable Hook to Upper Pulley distance will get closer and closer to one another ...if need be ...keep lowering the cable again to keep at a least 1 Foot between them. Once the Lift Arm is where you want it... THEN you can use the Electric Hoist to once again raise the object on the hook much higher and not risk snapping the cable!
        Do NOT hold the cable while the hoist is being actuated either Up or Down.
        Why? Because you can have your hand crushed and your fingers amputated if you get them caught between the Hook End and the Upper Pulley attached at the Lift Arm.
        Do NOT allow a Second Person or an Assistant actuate the device when you are near the cable.
        Why? Because if you get snagged on anything...he won't react fast enough to stop it!
        Do NOT hoist ANYTHING and then work on it while it is suspended just from the Hoist Cable.
        Why? "The FrankenLifter" is like a hydraulic jack... in that you would NEVER get under a vehicle unless the vehicle is safely sitting on Jack Stands. Likewise with "The FrankenLifter" If you intend to work on anything suspended by the Hoist Cable...you MUST use a Strong SAFETY HOIST CHAIN to secure the suspended item to the Hydraulic Lift Arm... just in case the Hoist Cable SNAPS!
        Do NOT place any part of your body or hands underneath any objects being lifted.
        Why? In case the Cable Snaps and you get crushed, injured or killed when the object being lifted falls on you!
        Do NOT allow children, family members or by-standers anywhere NEAR this device when it is being used.
        Why? Because this device can be DANGEOUS to the Uninformed, the Unaware, and the Incompetent who may encounter it and think it would be fun to try and use it like a Toy!

Comment

"All Solutions... Breed New Problems..."

I have made some additional modifications to "The FrankenLifter Hoist" since its original design.and posted more complete demonstration images of it in action while being used to lift a bare GM 1995 Lt-1 350 Engine Block. My investigation of its performance under a variety of lifting conditions requires that I post this Important Safety Warning mentioned here for anyone contemplating using this or any similar design and hardware they can build as follows:

When using the Electric Cable Hoist Portion for Hoisting... Should it become necessary to Elevate the Lift Arm Hydraulically to an Increased Angle... it is imperative to LOWER THE LENGTH OF THE HOIST CABLE BEFORE JACKING UP THE HYDRAULIC LIFT ARM...and the safest way of doing this is to lower the Hoist Cable Hook DOWN to a Minimum Distance from the underside of the Pulley attached below the Lift Arm by at LEAST ONE FOOT (12")...!

The Reason for this Precaution is that without adding in AND MAINTAINING the additional Minimum Length of 12" of Hoist Cable... it is possible to raise the arm with sufficient Hydraulic Force to actually PULL THE HOIST CABLE HOOK OFF OF THE CABLE...! As the Lift Arm is Raised... the Cable distance is DECREASED UNTIL THE HOOK BOTTOMS UP AGAINST THE LIFT ARM PULLEY. The Lifting Force of the Hydraulic Arm is 2.5 Tons...and could easily Rip the Cable Hook from the Electric Hoist Cable if it is allowed to do so with Catastrophic Consequences...!

If this were to occur when there is any weight attached to the Hook... if the Cable Hook-to-Cable connection was to separate, the object would fall suddenly and there is the obvious risk of being crushed or injured if a person or parts of their body are under the weighted object during such an event. In another scenario...even if no injuries or death occurred... the elevated object would certainly suffer damage or destruction.

Some astute observers among us may note that a few of the latest images displaying the L-Support Arm on the 1,000 Lb Engine Stand show that it appears to have been installed BACKWARDS. You should know that as soon as I observed this, I employed the ease of using "The FrankenLifter" to lift and hold the bare V8 Engine Block with the attached Engine Stand Bracket... while I immediately corrected and rectified this problem.

I AM ALSO RECOMMENDING THAT A SECONDARY LOAD SECURITY CHAIN BE USED TO SECURE THE OBJECT BEING LIFTED AT ITS FINAL ELEVATION DIRECTLY TO THE STEEL SUPPORT ARM AND COMPLETELY ELIMINATE ANY CHANCE OF THE OBJECT FALLING DUE TO EITHER A FAILURE OF THE HOIST CABLE/HOOK... OR A LOSS OF HYDRAULIC LIFTING FORCE ON THE SUPPORT ARM.
          Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X