X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more reason to hate California...

Originally posted by CNN
    Calif. sues automakers over greenhouse gases
    Ford, GM and Toyota among six automakers charged in groundbreaking suit that contends companies cost state millions due to vehicle emissions.

September 20 2006: 1:51 PM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) -- California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp. (up $0.62 to $49.91, Charts), the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. (up $0.40 to $32.95, Charts) and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. (up $0.22 to $22.58, Charts) .

It also charges that vehicle emissions have contributed significantly to global warming and harmed the resources, infrastructure and environmental health of the most populous state in the United States.

Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide."

Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.

The lawsuit comes after California passed legislation supported by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that requires the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 25 percent by 2020. California was the first state to mandate reduction of greenhouse gases.

California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.

Shares of GM (up $0.24 to $31.64, Charts), Ford (up $0.15 to $7.81, Charts) and Toyota (up $0.80 to $107.16, Charts) were all higher in early afternoon trading Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to sue other states that don't have emissions laws? Oh wait, they are both stupid ideas...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Don't hate us because we're beautiful...

...Someone has to take the lead in cutting down emissions. Where I live many children including my nephew suffer from serious chronic asthma from the level of pollutants that are directly a result of car pollution. So before you go hating on California inquire about the issues. Have you experience a smog day over 150-200 points. It feels like your suffocating, especially to someone with asthma like me. Some lawsuits are good. I wish they would go after Nabisco for putting processed wheat in their food. Oh wait, already happening. I'm not making any assumptions, but some people care enough to do something for the greater good other than making money like Republicans.

Comment

Ok, but the point is, they are suing because vehicles are emitting so many pollutants and harming the environment. California has the most stringent emissions standards, so even with the largest population of cars, the level of pollutants should be limited, compared to a state where there are no emissions standards. If all the cars in Cali are passing their standards, then emissions are lower. Its not the auto makers' fault that so many people want to live in Cali. I know I was offered a job there and yet took a job at almost half the pay because I didn't want to live there.

As far as having medical issues due to pollution, I'll give you an answer. MOVE!! Medical issues cost $$, so even if you take a cut in pay, you'll probably end up pretty even. And you'll live in a cleaner, healthier area. Not to mention, you won't have a half-million mortgage on a 1000sq ft house...
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Been thinking about movng out of California very, very seriously. I cannot afford to pay 300,000-500,000 for a house. You have a point,we do have dense population, but I think cars can be made even cleaner burning. Automakers have dragged their heels on this issue for 40 years. I think they need to get some motivation other than 'pretty please'.

Comment

If Cali wants to sue someone they should sue the Federal Govt and the EPA. Automakers are only going to make cars meet the neccassary requirments (its just makes business sence). If you want automakers to make cleaner cars regulate it. Fact is the federal goverment has done little to encourage automakers to make cleaner cars or to encourage folks to drive more fuel efficient veichals. The tax credit for Hybrids is a joke and you can get a bigger write off by buying a huge SUV for "business purposes" not to mention the previous 2 administrations relaxes MPG restrictions due to pressure from lobbyists.

If Cali wants to sue someone sue those who are in the best position to influence the automakers. Lawsuits like this will do little to help, seriously, have they stopped people from smoking? from eating mcdonalds? No it jst makes a ton of money for some lawyers and a lot of publicity that will be forgotten 2-3 years from now.

1995 Monte Carlo LS
          3400 SFI 60v6
          FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

Comment

Industry is responsible for about 70% of greenhouse gasses. They need to quit barking up the wrong tree and get their heads on straight! Looks like they found a way to make themselves look good while not doing a dam thing that will really have any positive results. Want to go after someone, how about China and their BLATANT use of R12 refrigerant!! Some people need to get a head check.........my 2-cnts that's all!!!!!!!

Comment

It's all rubbish if you ask me, one more person trying to be famous or to change history. Everytime a large volcano errupts it puts out 1o times more pollution and harmful gasses than every automobile in history put together.

14.60 @ 96.33 for now...

Comment

I will acquiesce on this issue...

...Politicians are ultimately responsible for public health, but I think there is blame to go around. Car pollution is responsible for the majority of pollution in large metro areas like mine. The fact is we get the pollution from other places becasue we are situated in a valley that traps pollution. The EPA surveys have concluded this, but maybe they are covering for the corporations. I wouldn't doubt it.

Comment

If California wants to actually remedy the problem, just outlaw cars and semi-trucks. That seems like the most logical/easiest thing to do.

Who does California think it is, trying to sue every automaker? Seriously, that doesn't even make sense.
                  Robby Whitesell
                  2006 Pontiac G6 GT
                  1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

You have got to be kidding me! I am not even going to comment on this one.

I will say this, It all a bunch of bullshit!
                    1999 Grand Prix SE 3100
                    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Ext cab. 5.2L
                    1977 Dodge Power Wagon, Short bed, Fuel injected 360, 4spd, Dana 60's, Little Red Express bed.

Comment

i think is the california burrito's that causing the problems in cali.
                      i just love to watch the wheels turn around and around

Comment

Only in America. Man they come up with the most bogus lawsuits. You know why this would never happen in Canada? Because no one can afford it.

In the states if you lose your lawsuit you only have to pay your lawyers. In Canads if you loose you have to pay for all the lawyers. Imagine the state of California paying for the lawyers of 6 major auto companies of they lose? Right they would never want to pay it so they would never risk such a stupid lawsuit.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

They will never win, because nobody forced them to drive cars, it was all there own choice, thats a load of horse shit.

Jake
                          GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

A lawsuit against automakers for polluting the air is foolish, especially when the entity suing shares equally in the suituation they're seeking to correct through litigation.

To put it another way: Who built the roads for these cars to operate on?
                            I wish I still had my sixty degree.
                            Subwoofer Tools

Comment

They are going about this all the wrong way. By suing and saying that cars are contributing to global warming implies that A) Global warming is a fact, and that B) Cars, not factories as stated earlier, are solely to blame. Ideally all that should come out of a tailpipe from a semi-modern car is nothing but CO2 and Water vapor. Granted if the cat and engine are working properly you will see darned near close to zero CO, HC, and NOx emissions.

Apparently even the state of California has now taken the "Never let facts get in the way of a good arguement" motto a step further.

Comment

Working...
                              X