My Autocross weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Autocross weekend

Like Aweb, I had an awesome weekend with my high speed autocrossing. Unfortunately, the guy I brought with me to film me going around decided to be a corner worker instead. But on the track, I absolutely tore the crap out of my GP. With the new rear sway bar and GMPP trailing arms, I was able to kick the tail out in the corners and steer the car through with the front end, which took a bit of getting used to but it was awesome once I got it down. Here's an image of Blackhawk:

On a 1.95 mile road course, my best time was 1:31.926, a second faster than my time last year. Average speed: 76.365MPH!!!

I was blown away when I did the math on that this morning. And what's really amazing is I still don't have the good front suspension that I want. The front camber is still all screwed up, and I just have the ST lowering springs. Once I get some properly heavy springs and the new A-arm setup, I'm afraid of how fast the GP will be. May even break 1:30.00, and the only FWD car I've seen be able to do that is a Mini Cooper S with an LSD and race tires. Anyway, great day, I can't wait for our next race there in a month.[]
    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

little late but very nice. im hoping to get mine on a track of sorts this year.

not really autox but i have heard from a few peeps that there is an oval course around langley, VA that has a "run what you brung day" on their oval track.

i am going to have to check into it.

they say all i need is a helmet and a car. sounds like fun. also any tips for me on suspension setup?

i have speculated that if i tune my coilovers to make one side of my car higher than the other it will help on a oval. is it the right side or the left i cannot remember. i am thinking right side higher than left.

any idea how much higher?

other than that i may install my headlight covers to eliminate some drag and maybe use some tape to cover up foglight holes and maybe a body line or 2 nascar style . it will look ghetto i am sure but it may yield some results.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Originally posted by dohcfiend View Post

they say all i need is a helmet and a car. sounds like fun. also any tips for me on suspension setup?

A tip you may find helpful, DOHC, is since your track is oval, there is sure to be some banking. Take your race tires to an EXPIERENCED tire cutter and have him shave the tires to the bank of the track. Sounds funny but it will give you more tread contact with the track hence more grip= faster times!
      Jeremiah
      Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

Working...
      X