Fun with TORQUE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with TORQUE...

Disclaimer!!!! This is illegal and dangerous and it told for entertainment purposes only. Any correlation to any real events is strictly a coincidence. Any comments about dangerous driving etc. will be ignored. If you are a do-gooder and don't like to read about road racing, do not read. Simple as that. Now that that's out of the way...
    I just had real fun with a "boy racer" in a very new VW GTI. It was the sporty little hatchback model. I was in my 86 Century with primer hood, primer truck lid, dented right-rear quarter and no hub caps. (and a 300 HP turbo-intercooled engine)
    The road we were on is 6 lanes through town, and goes to a 2-lane road about 1/4 mile past the last traffic light in town.
    The VW driver had been driving agressively in thown, so I expected a battle at this intersection. I have seen this guy before and he is very aggressive and not used to loosing.
    All the locals know that you need to be in the inside lane at that light if you plan to go out of town, otherwise you will have to turn right into a shopping center, or merge into the through lane.
    I was in the "through" lane at this light, and the silver VW was next to me. He had been looking over and easing forward, waiting on the light to change. As soon as I saw the opposing light go yellow, I eased on the gas until the turbo started to whine, and prepared for launch. As soon as the light changed, I eased it to the floor and launched with enough torque to aim my lights into the trees! The silver GTI kept up until about 40 MPH, then he had to shift, but I had nothing but turbocharged torque carrying me like the wind!
    Mindful of side roads and traffic, I easily made the gentle curve as the 2-lane started. There wa no other traffic. I looked in the mirror and the VW was only 3/4 of the way from the intersection to where I was. He was flashing his high beams.
    For the next 5 miles this sore looser rode 6 inches from my rear bumper and kept his high beams on. We were in traffic at 40 MPH, and I was leaving a nice safe following distance in front of me.
    Finally out of town it was just me and the VW following an 18 wheeer at 55 MPH. I knew this road and was waiting on the passing zone coming up.
    Before the double-yellow line ended, the VW starts to pass on a blind hill, he was halfway around the 18 wheeler when the "legal" passing zone began and I started to pass.
    Flooring it from 55 brougnt the power on instantly with a converter-locked downshift to 3rd gear. Headlights went in the trees again and speedometer needle fell to the right as if it had broken!
    Within seconds I was reeling in the VW like he was a fish on a string. Hoping he wasn't going to try to wreck both of us by comig over on me, I walked on by him with the power on, waited until there was room to safely come back over, signalled politely, and got back in the right lane.
    By this time the passing zone was about over! With a few final flashes of high-beams and other rude gestures, the insulted VW driver turned off the highway on a side road, which went only one place - a trailer park.
    I felt good about this because A, I didn't wreck and get killed, B, I didn't go to jail, and C, I outran this car on both acceleration AND top speed. And it was by a large margin...
    Hoep you enjoyed this read!
    David
    David Allen - Northport, AL
    1986 Century T-Type, Iron Head 3.1 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
    1988 Olds Ciara XC, GenII 2.8 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
    1972 Chevy Nova, 305 Small Block V8 EFI
    1984 Century Olympia, 3.8SFI Turbo, over 400 HP
    http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbokinetic
Working...
X