No announcement yet.

VTEC just kicked in yo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way in hell 16.99. Even 3.33 FDR wouldn't put you at 16.99, but I am amazed they used it on an A body. I thought it was all lower for them and mostly 3 speeds.

140 crank is about 100 at the wheels, as that is what the beretta I tuned had to start with. I know others had similar results. You didn't lose 31% of the original power.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Exactly, the auto tranny stole ~31% of your power...
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
        I am amazed they used it (3.33 FDR) on an A body. I thought it was all lower for them and mostly 3 speeds.
        The three speeds were mostly 2.84 (though I've heard of Fieros with 3.33 three speeds), and some four speeds were as well. Those were usually found in the 3.8 SFI (Century GS and T-Type, Cutlass Ciera GT) and 3300 cars, since those engines had enough torque to still motivate it quite well.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Originally posted by leftventricle View Post
          3.8 sfi
          blasphemer!
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
            Exactly, the auto tranny stole ~31% of your power...
            That's why I hate them there autos...
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              That's why I hate them there autos...
              clutch pedals FTW..
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I didn't add one to my 91 for no reason

BTW, because of this subject line, I saw a VTEC Civic at a light today and thought to myself "My VTEC kicked in, yo!" and I chuckled.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

A manual, while it would be novel in a wagon, isn't really within the realm of feasibility. Since I had my first A-body seven years ago (an '84 6000), I have seen exactly one A-body with a manual in Las Vegas, and it was in a junkyard. The swap is possible, but everything aside from the transmission itself has to come from an A-body. J, L, N and P cars aren't compatible. I'd have to get parts from Mexico probably, since they seem to have a higher number of manual cars.
                  Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Well something to shoot for is never a bad thing :P In all honesty, before I had swapped the 91 to a manual, I had never seen a manual W body, period, let alone a DOHC one. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't as impossible to find as you might think.
                    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 05-23-2009, 11:18 PM.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Manuals in A-bodies appear to be incredibly rare. I don't have any solid numbers yet, but given the line's image, that of a sedate grocery getter, I don't think it was a very popular option.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftVentricle View Post
                        a sedate grocery getter
                        that just makes it that much better when you do find one...
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Five speed manuals were only available from 86-88, and only on the Celebrity and 6000, and around 1% were optioned. Quite rare.

X-body cars may have compatible parts...

Comment

get a good toque converter and shift kit. and swap to a gen 3 top end (if that is not possible port your gen 2 stuff) that should help out.
                            01 olds shilluette 3400/4T65-E stock for now

Comment

Working...
                            X