2009 Results (so far) V2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Results (so far) V2.0

Was at the same event as Asylum, but raced a different class, it was great times. This year alone the car has over 30 low 12 second passes and still remains very reliable. (no 11's yet although a close 12.104

A vid from CSCS season opener on May 31 first : (commentary here is funny)

From the J-body bash last weekend, (I won 1st in the Quick 8, and got third place in Braket racing)

Another shot of my car, and Eric's Beretta

Burnout : (open diff works half the time, like here for example, it worked)

JCO Quick 8 Final : (my opponent was sleeping at the light)

Soo, no 11's yet, but a good start to the year. Weather has been great. Next up are a bunch of 1/8 mile events that I have to go back to street rubber, so no personal bests will be set there. Hoping the car stays reliable though.

Loving the reliability of the 3400, and it looks like I found a Getrag that holds up to some abuse.
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

You just cant get around the crappy traction at sparta. Us windsor guys can either choose sparta or grand bend and bar none grand bend is the better track. Its much more difficult to hook up here than many tracks, as mars was spinning second with those monster slicks. LoL i know about the open diff, one day ill have to as well take the plunge and drop the 900 or whatever amount of money on the EP diff, Treez24 has one and loves it, i cant see those inserts helping you much mars. Maybe if you welded the diff up but then you got to worry about added stress on the trans and cv shafts when making turns, just not worth it IMO. All of that aside, if you have not heard this car, you really need to considering comming up to watch it run. I was talking to the 3rd gen guys about how excited i was to watch mars run, they really didnt even know what i was talking about. But 5 minutes after arriving, there goes mars down to the staging lanes and everybody broke there neck trying to see what the heck sounded so good. Its an amazing car, now get her into the 11's!

Comment

Nice times I can't wait to see some 11's.

Correct me if im wrong but did that guy actually say 3.8 turbo on the first vid?
      Last edited by Nick-G; 06-09-2009, 03:15 PM.
      sigpic
      ----------
      BUILT Turbo 3400/4t65e-HD powered Grand AM in the making.

Comment

3.8 Turbo ?

No thanks, I already own a boat anchor.

Comment

He said supercharged 3800, then changed his mind and its a turbo 3800. Gotta love how that motor gets all the credit if its used or not:P
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My dad heard the same thing in the bleachers at Dragway 42 after I came out of the box. He's been reading the site since my 3400 swap.

Dad has the told them, "that ain't a POS L67, thats a 3400."

For old school, he's learning!
            sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
            A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
            Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
            Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
            PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

very nice!! makes me excited to finish my whipple setup.....

S...........L...........E...........E...........P...........E...........R

Comment

you guys are making me want a blower!
                sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Ha, Mars you may have trouble getting 11's if you couldn't do it with a 40mph tailwind as seen in that first vid! J/K Love how your car wrinkles the tires on the launch, people give me a blank stare when I tell them that you car does that and doesn't break axles. You still running stock axles, right? I have one stock axle with 210k miles on it (just replaced the outer boot around 160k) and one stock replacement autozone axle.

Hope you have good reliablitiy this season, makes me feel better about running drag week again this year if your car also holds up.
                  '89 Z24 3400 5-speed
                  TO4E 50-trim/T3 Stage II turbo; 13psi
                  Quarter mile: 11.95 at 118.7mph
                  www.khturbo.net

Comment

Haha, it was a crosswind and it was hard to keep the car straight.

I have found out that when I run meth/ water I lose 4 MPH and about .2 of a sec.

I think I need more timing with the water/meth for it to actually make a difference.

Yeah, stock axles with roughly 200 000 miles on them. ha ha ha.

I have ALOT of 12 second passes and smokey second gear burnouts, well over 60 I've been racing the car regularly for the past few years.

Seems like the trans. are the weak link as I've blown a differential and synchros in another one. This is my third one now.

Pretty sure if you have it tuned right (which you do) it will last you MANY high 11 / low 12 second runs !

Best of luck buddy ! I wish I had went turbo back when i did the blower setup.... Live and learn.

Comment

Mars, how hard are you launching on the slicks? do you just dump the clutch or ease into it?
                      Past Builds;
                      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                      Current Project;
                      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Sidestep at around 4500 -5000 whatever the track will hold that day.

Comment

Damn.. i'm gonna have to try that at the v6 bash then. i'm tired of these 1.9 60' times.

gotta fix my e-brake so i can get in a good smokey burnout first though
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Mars View Post
                            I have found out that when I run meth/ water I lose 4 MPH and about .2 of a sec.

I think I need more timing with the water/meth for it to actually make a difference.
                            Yeah, I don't think the water injection will help you unless you take advantage of it! I'd try more boost, more timing, and/or less fuel when you use it. Maybe your spraying too much water mix?
                            '89 Z24 3400 5-speed
                            TO4E 50-trim/T3 Stage II turbo; 13psi
                            Quarter mile: 11.95 at 118.7mph
                            www.khturbo.net

Comment

I'm working off of a Butt dyno, lol, but to me it seemed to work best on 100% water.

I like using it on the street as it keeps the insides of the motor clean of carbon buildup.

Comment

Working...
                              X