Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buick with V-6 Engines: Under Six Seconds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buick with V-6 Engines: Under Six Seconds?

With no racing experience whatsoever...but being an old drag racing enthusiast...and curious about what the V6 engines can do when wrung out completely....am I reading the elapsed times right that one of these Buick V6 cars is cutting the lights on occasions ...under Six Seconds? How is that even possible? If its true...that is just incredible! This series of track runs/Dyno test make me ask...what are they doing to get so much HP out of these six cylinder vehicles? How come they are not self-destructing?

Massive boost... running alcohol...

Brad is shooting for big power on a 3500, so we'll see what he does... He will go with built bottom end etc...
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Boost.. lots of it.

that's what GN's are all about. Same thing with Sy/Ty's

1:30 sec video with pics and video footage of 1200hp twin turbo v6 hitting the dyno and the track. must see!
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        Boost.. lots of it. that's what GN's are all about. Same thing with Sy/Ty's
        the one advantage of iron heads...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

What advantage is that?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

the ability of iron to take massive amounts of boost?
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

but doesnt it run through a plastic intake manifold before it gets to the iron head?? plastic, boost and heat dont mix in my books. (edit) -the L27 i mean lol the GN has a metal intake im sure, and i dont know about the syphoon mix there, but im willing to bet its not plastic. i wouldnt turbo a 3800 for a daily driver anyhow.
              Last edited by SofaKingWeToddDid; 11-22-2009, 04:26 PM.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

PSI is a measurement of flow and restriction. Most aluminum head motors that I know of are higher flowing than iron heads for the same setup. Perhaps I am ignorant of a such a market, but I know it is not the case for 60V6s. The big blocks used for racing that I have seen are aluminum block and heads.

This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .

That might be of interest
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

aluminum heads will take just as much as iron heads, just avoid detonation.. lol
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

My guess is...if the engine compartments were just a wee bit roomier... You guys would be trying to stuff a Turbocharger on each bank of every V6 on the lot! LOL.. I have to say... the performance is absolutely stunning and I'm really surprised... Thanks for the heads up on "Boost" its amazing what "...just one more atmospheric pressure ( + .3 PSI) will do..."

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                      My guess is...if the engine compartments were just a wee bit roomier... You guys would be trying to stuff a Turbocharger on each bank of every V6 on the lot! LOL
                      is there something wrong with that?

and Ben and Dave:

i mean that iron tends to reject heat more easily than aluminum, therefore can deal with higher temperatures for longer before total FUBARification.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
                        My guess is...if the engine compartments were just a wee bit roomier... You guys would be trying to stuff a Turbocharger on each bank of every V6 on the lot! LOL.. I have to say... the performance is absolutely stunning and I'm really surprised... Thanks for the heads up on "Boost" its amazing what "...just one more atmospheric pressure ( + .3 PSI) will do..."
                        why when you could just use two of those tornado fuel saver things, one of those plug in power adders (for the coolant temp sensor) and shit, add another for the intake temp sensor too, and a few 'type R' stickers. dont forget to take a nail and drive it into your catalytic converter to get that throaty racing exhaust sound.

also, let about 10psi out of your tires, this way they hug the road better. and make sure you add 150lbs of stereo, only to remove the whole interior for 75lbs of weight reduction, resulting in a 75lb gain, but the weight is transferred to the rear of the car, balancing it out a little more. making it handle even better. as for brakes? take your wheels off and dremel some grooves in the rotors, and drill a few holes in. pattern is your choice here. this will allow you to stop faster because the rotor digs into the pad better.
                        make sure not to dremmel too deep or you will ruin the rotor.

next, remove the air filter. this is just an obstruction on the way to a higher flowing engine. vaselene inside the intake manifold smoothens it out and its kindof like a polish job, without the port. so you will gain some torque here.

finally dont forget your matching dragon embossed floor mat (only one needed due to no other interior or seats installed in car) seat cover and steering wheel cover. if you really want to go nuts, a custom shifter knob and pedals. but then you might get waaay too much torque and start skidding out too much. dont worry, the car will never break as long as you own it.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                          is there something wrong with that?

and Ben and Dave:

i mean that iron tends to reject heat more easily than aluminum, therefore can deal with higher temperatures for longer before total FUBARification.
                          Um, doesn't aluminum conduct heat much better than iron? Therefore no hot spots on the cylinder heads to promote detonation...

Comment

aluminum conducting heat well is the exact reason why it doesn't reject it. iron on the other hand...
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I believe the issue with aluminum heads is they are fine with high boost as long as they don't get too hot. However the saying goes about the direction of heat flow, they certainly are more detonation resistant than the iron heads. GM is using a different type of aluminum for the heads on the Turbo 2.8L borrowed from the Saab and installed in the Cadillac SUVs for 2010. Cast pistons by the way.

Before long the performance world will have to recognize the 60 degree motor because there are quite a few of them now. 1986 IROC Z28 190 hp ~280 lb/ft 5L. 2010 camaro 3.6L 304 hp, 273 lb/ft. That's amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X