Ran the GTP finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran the GTP finally

Posted this on w-body.com and thought I should embarass myself here as well!:

Well since I'm going to have to miss the last autocross, I finally decided I'd run the GTP like I've been wanting to do for the last 3.5 years I've owned it. Made 5 runs.

1996 GTP. LQ1, 4T60-E, 200,000 miles.

Quick rundown of the engine mods:
    CAI
    Magnflow mufflers
    FFP underdrive
    FFP dogbone
    I left WOT shift point set at 6800 RPM

Best ET:
    15.97 @ 87.23
    60 foot: 2.306
    1/8: 10.30
    1000 ft: 13.38

Best MPH:
    16.10 @ 88.29
    60 foot: 2.335
    1/8: 10.39
    1000 ft: 13.51

Obviously that's pretty slow ET and MPH, but wasn't out of line of what I expected. I would've liked lower or mid 15s, but honestly thought maybe I wouldn't even get into the 15's. I've never been to the dragstrip before and really don't know what to make of the 60 foot, 1/8 mile, 1000ft times. Pretty inline for what this car is?
    Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
    1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Well, it is a 15 year old car running on 20 year old technology with 200k miles on it. How long since the last timing belt change? You could be losing some power from the cam timing being off. What sort of condition is the trans in? Were you launching from idle or were you bringing the revs up? When the 91 was an auto it seemed to like launching with some revs, but it I brought them too high it actually ran slower...
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      Well, it is a 15 year old car running on 20 year old technology with 200k miles on it. How long since the last timing belt change? You could be losing some power from the cam timing being off. What sort of condition is the trans in? Were you launching from idle or were you bringing the revs up? When the 91 was an auto it seemed to like launching with some revs, but it I brought them too high it actually ran slower...
      Timing belt's fine, I changed it awhile back when the tensioner gave out and it jumped a tooth on the back bank. I'm half-tempted to try it again with +6/-6 and get a legitimate comparison between the 2 because it's never made sense to me why a 24 valve engine would want more overlap, but I'm not sure I could get it right without the adjustable timing tool. The trans is fine. It has a funny problem of refusing to shift for a few seconds after making a hard turn with trans temps over 180 (which it never gets to unless its over 100 outside), but that obviously wasn't a problem last night driving in a straight line. The trans shifts quick and crisp. I really like it. It shifts a lot better than many brand new cars at work do.

I did rev it up to about 1800 or so the last 2 runs, but I just got a little bit of wheelspin and didn't help the 60 foot any. That surprised me being on a 140 treadwear tire on supposedly a prepped track as I don't hardly spin launching on the concrete at autocrosses. I could have probably lowered pressure since they were still at my autocross setting and maybe squeezed a bit faster time in, but I didn't. I know you have a 5 speed which makes yours different, but what did you run and with what mods?
      Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix

Comment

What I was referring to was the 91 way back when it was an auto. I think it ran about the same thing then with who knows what kind of mileage on the trans, tapered TB, ported LIM, tuned and possibly dremel p&p heads and maybe modified cam timing.

It's been a long time and all of that happened over time, so it's really hard to say what was done and when. I think the car had around 175k-185k on it and I think my best was around 15.8 or 15.7 in the heavy pig. IIRC, 1800 was around the point where the car actually started to slow down on passes, and I don't recall getting much (if any) wheelspin off the line.

Now I wonder if I have any of the old slips in the glovebox, lol. Although, if I did they certainly wouldn't be readable after all these years.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

200,000 miles, only middle aged 3x00. Plenty more years of life left.

(Standing back gazing upon the mildly worn 96 GTP in a cool like manner. TGP37 says to PocketRocket), "Id seafoam her in three different places....twice"

lol..... I saw it and had to type it. Seriously though, if not done recently a good seafoam treatment may really help. And then you could take it out again and actually have solid proof over the Seafoam debate. I swear by that stuff.

Plus, it is a lot of fun smoking out the block. It's a good way to shoo the wife, lol.
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

It will clean fuel robbing carbon and unstick sticky rings. Seafoam is one of the hand full of stuff I will add to an engine other than fuel, oil and antifreeze. Other than that I really dislike those "Fixes in a can" type of stuff.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              It will clean fuel robbing carbon and unstick sticky rings. Seafoam is one of the hand full of stuff I will add to an engine other than fuel, oil and antifreeze. Other than that I really dislike those "Fixes in a can" type of stuff.
              Yeah, if used in small amounts regularly in the fuel, it can literally prevent varnish build up on the injector nozzles. I like putting 1/2 can in the oil, 1/2 can in a fuel tank. Run it close to empty and change the oil. Get another can and treat the intake system.

btw, I am humbled by you quoting me. Pretty cool.
              1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

I think Seafoam is the weakest of all those engine cleaners out there. The GM stuff, Mopar stuff, BG44, other brands are all more potent for cleaning carbon. And personally I wouldn't ever add the stuff to the oil. Even for a few minutes. I want nothing but good synthetic oil in there.
                Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix

Comment

The GM Top Engine cleaner is one of the ones I do recommend.

As for the Seafoam in the oil...

My mom had an Isuzu Rodeo (around a 2000ish). One day it dogged out and would not start after that. It had the DOHC Honda engine... The one that the rings get stuck to the pistons because of clearances being too tight. Isuzu was telling people back when these things were new "Oh yeah, 1 qt of oil consumption in 1k miles is perfectly fine." Then people being silly and not checking vital engine fluids started snapping cams as the top end starved of oil. At any rate, I added a can to the crank case and just from turning the engine with the starter it ended up building enough compression to run again thanks to the Seafoam doing it's thing, so I don't count it out.
                  Last edited by pocket-rocket; 11-07-2011, 03:19 PM.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                  X