Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autocross: How many here have/would like to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross: How many here have/would like to?

Just kind of curious. We've all drag raced one time or another, but I am an avid autocrosser. In fact, my Grand Prix is being purpose-built just for autocrossing. I plan to go to a lot of events this year, and it is a lot of fun. What's more, it really challenges your skills as a driver and can make you a better driver in your daily life. And with the W-body racing suspension kit I'm currently helping develop, even the big cars will be able to handle like dream machines. I'll have more available on that this upcoming month.
    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

RE: Autocross: How many here have/would like to?

I have once. Haven't gotten around to doing more of it, but I had a blast... and what money I've spent on upgrades for my car has been primarily for handling upgrades (poly bushings, Koni sports, etc).

What sucks is my throttle body kicks me up to D-SP, whereas I'd otherwise be in STS. And if I decide to swap the newer style heads and intake manifolds, oh guess what... I think that'd put me in D-mod. Certainly not allowed in street prepared.
    60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

You are legal in street mod as long as you have a gm engine. unless it has changed d mod is 2000 cc's or less over is e mod. I run sm2 in a fiero because of a small race cam (ari #3). Sm2 is same as sm but for 2 seaters. It is good to see another V660 running. To bad you are so far away.

Comment

I run an '84 X-11 in Street Mod. Lots of suspension mods, and it is currently undergoing a heart transplant to get a 3.4/3400 hybrid with an Eaton M90. And an Engineered Performance LSD-equipped 4-spd to put the power to the ground. It is super fast, and ugly as hell.

Marty
        '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
        '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
        '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
        '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
        Originally posted by Aaron
        This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

I know about that. For the longest time my buddy was storing for a friend an X19. They were rebuilding the factory engine, and it was also ugly as hell. Though if you're coming to the 60v6 meet this year, I'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkoolGP
            Though if you're coming to the 60v6 meet this year, I'll be there.
            I'm planning on it. I hope we can get an AutoX included in the mix.

Marty

Quote of the week:
            This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

I went autoxing at Cordova dragway park in Quad cities this weekend. I plan to go to the SCCA Chicago event on May 8th in Schaumburg next.
              Stephanie
              92 GTZ ~SupermoddedW41GTZ~

Comment

How was the event at Cordova? I was thinking about heading up, but the weather turned me away. The last time I was at Cordova, there didn't seem to be enough paved area to run an autocross. Where do they run it, on the staging area, or the dragstrip itself?

Where do you live? I am in Peoria, and plan to run more of the Chicago and Quad Cities events this year, along with Rantoul.
                Marty

Quote of the week:

Comment

We raced on the parking area just behind the staging lanes. It was small so they made it two laps around the course. there were 50 cars alot of nice ones at that.
                  I see you also have a fiero. I hope to bring our 86 SE V6 5spd, and the 90 GTZ with W41 cams to the next event. I need to get some work done because i'm sure the fiero will be an awesome track slut.

I live a minute north of Chicago.
                  Stephanie
                  92 GTZ ~SupermoddedW41GTZ~

Comment

I'll be racing a high speed autocross at Autobahn 1.4 Raceway in Joilet, IL on Saturday, and I may run a parking lot autocross at Miller Park in Milwaukee on Monday if anyone is interested in coming out and hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcar72
                      It is good to see another V660 running. To bad you are so far away.
                      What club do you autox with?

Just now noticed you're in Claremont. I used to live near Lexington and ran once with TSCC.
                      60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                      X