No announcement yet.

I took the 5 speed Z34 to the track...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to sound stupid, but what is an EGR? What is a Transmission switch?

Kyle
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles
    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Comment

EGR- Exhaust gas recirculation, puts exhaust gasses back into the intake i forget why but you dont need it and if you get bens chip he can turn it off for ya. as for the tranny switch, i have no clue?
      92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

Is that the damn annoying rubber hose that goes on the bottom of the intake? If so that damn thing has caused me so many damn problems. Hell, if that is it i am about to go outside and take the darn thing off right now!!!

Kyle
        1992 Lumina Z34
        5 Speed
        Autozone civic intake
        Ultra White lights
        FFP Dogbone mount
        125k miles

Comment

nope its the thing right behind the TB, its got a plug that goes into the top of it and a metal hose that goes down to the exhaust pipe. you cam make a blockoff plate for it and have been turn it off to completely get rid of it.

Comment

I ment the rubber hose on the bottom of the civic intake. Could you post a pic of it. If this isnt it.

Kyle
            1992 Lumina Z34
            5 Speed
            Autozone civic intake
            Ultra White lights
            FFP Dogbone mount
            125k miles

Comment

the o2 sensor code could be a leftover from before you changed it. did you clear the codes off when you changed it (disconected the battery for 10 minutes)???

the code 39, the clutch switch- does your car start with the clutch pedal out??? just by reading it, it sounds like the ecm moniters the clutch switch. if it is bypassed or stuck, that may be whats causing this code.

nothing there is going to set the vehicle into limp mode, so it doesnt explain much as far as why its not as fast as it should be. and the o2 sensor does nothing when the car is above 80% throttle, so even with a bad o2 sensor, its not going to affect your 1/4 mile time that much.

Comment

When the car was floored and when the o2 sensor was bad the car nearly bucked you out of the seat because i guess it loaded up so bad. It also bucked bad under light throttle at lower speeds. It doesn't do that anymore though. The car doesn't start with the pedal out. I will disconnect the battery tomarrow morning. I wish Ben or Mr. Dennis would add their intimate knowledge to this conversation, lol. I just had a new cat put in too because the old one was clogged, but i ran at the track with the clogged cat and bad o2 sensor and still trapped 2mph FASTER than when those two items were fixed. I am just out of things to fix, i think.

Kyle
                1992 Lumina Z34
                5 Speed
                Autozone civic intake
                Ultra White lights
                FFP Dogbone mount
                125k miles

Comment

that thing in the picture looks like the air inlet from the pcv system. thats the point where air is sucked in thru the filter and makes its way through your crankcase by way of the pcv valve. i know on MAF equiped cars this is a metered "leak" so to speak, the pcv air is measured through the sensor, so if your not drawing air thru it as normal you end up lean. i didnt see a maf in your duct there so i dont know if its going to make a difference. probly not, you could just put a filter on the breather side and forget about it.

being an obd1 car would the ecu retard timing or limit power if the clutch pedal switch is stuck in the "down" position?

about your old o2 being half gone, usually heat eats things up like that, and running rich would have the opposite effect. i'd check fuel pressure at the rail to be on the safe side, it could be an indication of being lean.
                  If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

There was a MAF but it is on the bottom so you cant see it. There is another thing on the bottom though that a rubber hose connects to, it is on top of the air box on a stock LQ1 and it runs behind the engine and then around to the left side somewhere, i was wondering what that is. The o2 sensor looked like it had broken off, would that be heat getting to it? Because it definately running extremely rich. Thanks again for all of the help.

Kyle
                    1992 Lumina Z34
                    5 Speed
                    Autozone civic intake
                    Ultra White lights
                    FFP Dogbone mount
                    125k miles

Comment

O2 is an old code. Replace your EGR or have it turned off in the chip code. If you swapped a 5 speed into your auto car, and running a stock 5 speed chip, and didnt swap in the clutch switch (not the one onthe floor, the one that tells the ECM the pedal is off its resting position), then that is you other code. That too can be turned off.

Reset your ECM if you haven't since you put in a new O2.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'll reset the ECM tonight. This is an original 5 speed, btw.

Kyle
                        1992 Lumina Z34
                        5 Speed
                        Autozone civic intake
                        Ultra White lights
                        FFP Dogbone mount
                        125k miles

Comment

Ok, i reset the ECU and now there are no codes showing. I havent driven it around since i reset the codes so i will do that later and then check again. If there are no codes then what could it be then? The way i launch maybe?

Kyle
                          1992 Lumina Z34
                          5 Speed
                          Autozone civic intake
                          Ultra White lights
                          FFP Dogbone mount
                          125k miles

Comment

could be, id try launching at different rpms, id start at about 3k and go from there on weather or not you get to much wheelspin or if it bogs.

Comment

Its not going to magically throw codes after you clear them as the computer doesn't know anything is wrong yet. Drive around and see if the codes come back.

If its a stock 5 speed car, tell me what the 4 letter code is on your chip. The clutch anticipation switch should be installed on 92+ cars.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Is the code on the top of the chip? Isn't the computer under the coolant overflow tank? How hard is it to get to. I do know that it is an original 5 speed because i ran a carfax and it came back as a 5 speed with zero wrecks. Thanks

Kyle
                                1992 Lumina Z34
                                5 Speed
                                Autozone civic intake
                                Ultra White lights
                                FFP Dogbone mount
                                125k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X