No announcement yet.

I took the 5 speed Z34 to the track...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the 5 speed Z34 to the track...

I am very pissd right now. I finally got my o2 sensor changed so i took my 92 Z34 5 speed to the track and i was very disappointed. My best time was a 16.7 @ 83. This doesnt make sense because the first time i went to the track with it and a clogged o2 sensor and my best time was a 17.2 @ 85. How did my overall mph slow down? I am sure that launching is some of my problem, 2.5 60 ft time, i am just pissed off that i got rid of my 15.7 second auto z34 for a supposedly faster 5spped. I have already changed the plugs, wires, o2 sensor, brand new 2.5 inch catback, intake kit, and an FFP mount. The car doesnt stutter or bog or anything like that, the only thing is that the check engine light comes on everynow and then. No one around here has an obd1 scanner so i cant figure out what is wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles
    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

you dont need a scanner to check the code. use a paperclip and short the a&b terminals and count the flashes. that;ll tell ya what the code came on for. and no offence but those times do suck. does if feel like it has power like your old Z? mabey its just a dog and the motors tired. im startin to think thats whats wrong with mine.
    92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

I know they suck. I tried the paper clip thing and the only thing that happened was that my fans turned on. No flashes or anything. The auto had 157 thousand miles, the 5 speed has 125k. The 5 speed does feel like it has more power. I am just mad.

Kyle
      1992 Lumina Z34
      5 Speed
      Autozone civic intake
      Ultra White lights
      FFP Dogbone mount
      125k miles

Comment

even if there were no codes it would still flash code 12 to show its working, are you sure you got the right two ports? do you think its the car or did you just mess the shifts up a little? what was your 1/8th mile mph and et?

Comment

racing a 5 speed isnt as easy as it would seem. getting the launch just perfect takes time. also shifting fast and not missing gears takes practice, and figuring out the exact right time to shift.

my car started off running 17.4, after i built my motor up it ran 16.7, and it took me about 10 runs to get it figured out to get it into the 15s, then down to a 15.6.

just takes time man, keep at it and find out what code you have, and fix it.

Comment

I threw away the slip in disgust and i dont remember the 1/8 mile. The car wasnt flashing at all. The only thing that was happening was the fans were turning on. It was kinda fun for a second messing with the fans, lol. I jsut dont understand how i could trap higher with a bad o2 sensor than with a new o2 sensor and not bogging? My uncle in Illinois has an OBD1 scanner so when i go up there soon i will have him hook it up to my car and tell me what is wrong. I wish there were some people who had raced these cars down here who could try and launch with it and tell me what the problem is. I am now having second thoughts about getting rid of the auto for the 5 speed.

Kyle
            1992 Lumina Z34
            5 Speed
            Autozone civic intake
            Ultra White lights
            FFP Dogbone mount
            125k miles

Comment

illinois is close to ohio, trade ya fer the asomestist auto euro 3.4 around J/K. does it smell like its runing rich or get bad gas mileage? if not it may be running lean. check the plugs out, they can tell lots about whats happening.

Comment

It was running seriously rich ( i guess when half of the o2 sensor is missing that can lead to a problem, lol). It isnt running rich now. It is getting around 18mpg in town, just like the auto. Before i changed the o2 sensor it was getting around 11. I am about to try the paper clip thing again. Maybe it will work this time. (fingers crossed now).

Kyle
                1992 Lumina Z34
                5 Speed
                Autozone civic intake
                Ultra White lights
                FFP Dogbone mount
                125k miles

Comment

i just had a crazy idea, what if....... your ses light is messed up??? id try and unplug somthing and see if it will come on, mabey its supposed to be on all the time but theres a loose connection? just an idea if you cant get it to work.

Comment

Nope, just got the paper clip thing to work. These are the codes it is throwing, 12-clear code, 32, 44, 39. Each code would repeat 3 times. I take it the code 12 is the break code. Any1 know what the other 3 codes mean? Thanks alot.

Kyle
                    1992 Lumina Z34
                    5 Speed
                    Autozone civic intake
                    Ultra White lights
                    FFP Dogbone mount
                    125k miles

Comment

i can get them from my book later tonight if you want.

Comment

Thanks, that would help alot.

Kyle
                        1992 Lumina Z34
                        5 Speed
                        Autozone civic intake
                        Ultra White lights
                        FFP Dogbone mount
                        125k miles

Comment

found a quicker source

hope this helps, looks like problems all over the board so good luck with gettin it fixed. im positive these together is whats cousing your cars problem.

Comment

32 EGR open command did not change the fuel mixture when the command was given during off idle operation. EGR opening should cause the mixture to be slightly richer because of the low oxygen content of exhaust gas.

44 Oxygen sensor voltage was under 0.2 volts for 60 seconds of closed loop operation.

39 Transaxle clutch switch has failed 4 consecutive times. Vehicle was at normal operating temperature and the speed went from 0 to 40 MPH or more and back to 0 again.

Huh? I cant understand a word that is writtten. I dont know what any of that means. The o2 sensor was just changed last wednesday, now what could be wrong with it? This has me severly confused.

Kyle
                            1992 Lumina Z34
                            5 Speed
                            Autozone civic intake
                            Ultra White lights
                            FFP Dogbone mount
                            125k miles

Comment

the 02 sensor thing could be a stripped wire somewhere along the line, same with the egr or the egr could just be bad. the whold trans switch thing, i really dont know but i would replace it because somthings wrong obvosily.

Comment

Working...
                              X