Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took the Z BACK to the track, still mad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the Z BACK to the track, still mad...

Well tonight(6-16-06) i took my 92 Lumina Z34 5 speed back to the track. The only thing that i changed was ; i tinkered around with the intake, got it farther away from the manifold and made a partial heat shield. I also removed the rain guard on the left front to let some heat escape. The temp tongiht was about the same as when i went last time. Tonight my best run, happened to be my first- i let it sit for an hour with ice on the exposed intake pipe, the run was a 16.462 @ 83.83mph. That was my highest trap speed tonight. It was also my second best 60* of the night, 2.478 . I dont think the problem now is my ability to launch, i thought i was launching quite well tonight. After the 16.4 run i consistantly ran a 16.6. I ran 5 of these 16.6s and a 16.5. I had a full tank of gas but i also did last time, and i removed all my speakers and junk in the car. Last time, my best time was a 16.7@83. The car is still throwing an EGR code and a clutch switch code. I will be starting my new job Monday, the $$$ i make will go for replacing the clutch switch and buying Ben's chip and have him turn the EGR off with it. If i have money left over i might take the car to the local Chevy dealer and have them check the injectors and compression. I did take down a few cars though. my friends 2000 Accord V6 3 times and a Nissan passport 2 times. I didn't put this is race stories b/c i was wondering if yall have any more ideas on what could be causing the problems. I wish some of the LQ1 experts lived near here.

I tried to scan the timeslip but it wasnt legible so i will post the time:

R/T- .356

60*- 2.478

330- 6.898

1/8- 10.622

1/8 MPH- 66.58

1/4- 16.462

1/4MPH- 83.83

Thanks a lot.

Kyle
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles
    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Took my car to the 1/8 mile yesterday in Owego, NY. My car is a stock TDC also with a manual shift.
    R/T-2.16
    60ft- 2.13

330ft- 6.76
    549ft- 9.83

1/8 et- 10.51
    1/8 mph- 66.1

My R/T Is bad due to the blinding sunset. Just installed a set of BFG Comp T/A ZR's at 245 45 16. Otherwise the car is in proper tune and is completely Stock with 165272 miles. That's about as good as it gets.
    Last edited by gpse3400; 06-17-2006, 09:12 AM.
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

What the heck is your altitude? I'm assuming it's not too high in Alabama, but ya never know. That can have in impact on your E.T.

Your 60' is about what mine is, but I'm pimping overkill 3" exhuast and you have a manual which could be tricky to launch, I'd imagine.

Time to mod that's all I can say.
      1999 SVT Lightning
      1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
      Next BEATER: a C5
      http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

i was just at the track today and i was very pissed, the best i could run was a 16.3 in the quater at 84 mph, i was soooo mad, but my car is running like shit with the mods i have done it should be in the 14's i think if it does 15.8 stock
        its a
        91 gtp
        3.4L dOHC
        5 Speed
        ported heads
        ported intakes
        ported and tapered TB
        k&n filtercharger kit
        full flowmaster exhaust
        6/6 timing mod
        bens chip
        ffp dogbone
        ffp underdrive pulley

id say that should bring it in the 14's if its supposed to run 15.8 stock or 15.6 i cant remember , but like i said my car is running like shit, and i couldnt launch it worth a shit, but i had a decent reaction time , 0.210 or somethig like that.

Jake
        GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

the 60' time is key. sorry to say, but a 2.47 60' is garbage and your not going to get any fast times with that. a tenth at the 60' is good for 2 tenths at the top end. for me to run a 15.6, i gotta have a 2.25 60'.

work on the launches. the car has more in it for short time, you just gotta find it.

Comment

My old auto would have a 60* of 2.4 and run a 15.7. The car just isnt all there you know? I dont know if the timing is screwed or i have a major loss of compression. Grandprixgtp, that is even worse for you. Maybe the o2 sensor is bad? I am really pissed though. The altitude here is real low, dont know it off the top of my head but it is real low.

Kyle
            1992 Lumina Z34
            5 Speed
            Autozone civic intake
            Ultra White lights
            FFP Dogbone mount
            125k miles

Comment

your gonna have to get the car fixed first (trouble codes) and then build on a good platform. you cant try to improve on broken stuff. get it fixed and go from there.
              92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

I cant make up my mind weather to fix the EGR or have Ben shut it off. I am afraid that shutting it off wont do anything except not throw a code, i do want it to run better.

Kyle
                1992 Lumina Z34
                5 Speed
                Autozone civic intake
                Ultra White lights
                FFP Dogbone mount
                125k miles

Comment

it cant throw a code, when been shuts it off it does the same for the computer so no code will be thrown. did you ever get the clutch switch fixed? whenever you mod anything you want it to be at least up to stock (running wise) so you have a good foundation to build from.

Comment

I know it wont throw a code, i just wonder if it will run better if i just replace the EGR and not shut it off. I haven't done the clutch switch yet, planning on it though.

Kyle
                    1992 Lumina Z34
                    5 Speed
                    Autozone civic intake
                    Ultra White lights
                    FFP Dogbone mount
                    125k miles

Comment

well it should run the same either way, plus then ull have the chip too. an egr is like 250-300 bucks, the chip is only 125. i know what id do.

Comment

what was the other code you got? there were three right?

Comment

And the EGR can always stick or the passage way clogg up and then throw a code. If it sticks open then it can cause driveability issues. I'd disable it if I could.

You can probably clean it and the passage way into the intake manifold and fix it yourself. I've never had one go totally bad. I've been able to clean them and unstick them usualy. It's just a PITA to have to do that.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Improve you 60 fts and you'll improve your ETs

sharkey was absolutely right. Your ET is made or lost in the first 60 feet (unless you have nitrous or something for down track). You need to be shooting for 2.20 or better on street tires. Make sure your front tire pressure is as close to 20 lbs as possible, pump the rear pressure up too. Make sure that you rear shocks and springs aren't so weak that they allow weight to lift off the drive wheels either. You also need to find the optimum launch rpm for a stick car. It may vary from day-to-day and track to track. With my Sunbird, I always had about a 200 rpm window. Too much and I had spin and wheel hop, too little and the engine bogged. With plenty of practice you should drop the 60s, and you'll see better ETs too. Nearly 1000 1/4 mile passes in FWD GM cars has taught me a thing or two. I managed 2.147 best on street tires with my Sunbird, and 1.955 best on street tires with my GTP. These times took ALOT OF PRACTICE and a perfect launch, but they are possible. If I can do it, you can too!
                            Joe Morgan
                            bracketracer
                            '93 Sunbird SE 3.1/5-speed 14.869 @ 90.96 Heavily Modded
                            '00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan 13.689 @ 100.97 Lightly Modded
                            '09 G8 GXP Manual Trans 13.166 @ 106.47 BONE STOCK

Comment

If that was the problem then i would do that. I am getting good at launching. I already run my PSI around 25. As stated before, launching isnt the problem.

Kyle
                              1992 Lumina Z34
                              5 Speed
                              Autozone civic intake
                              Ultra White lights
                              FFP Dogbone mount
                              125k miles

Comment

Working...
                              X