Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took the Z BACK to the track, still mad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dunno how the weather has been but if its been humid your sucking a lot of water wheather you want to or not, more humididty means less o2 and thats just a drag. maybe your clutch is slipping slightly at max power in the higher rpms.
    If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Well talking about the temp and humidity, my old 93 Auto Z34 with 158k on it ran a 16.4 the first time i ran it. I put an intake on it and ran it in november(45*F outside this one night) and the car ran a 15.7. I know that temp has alot to do with it but the auto ran a 16.4 in in 95*f heat, same with the 5 speed, but it should already have 10more hp plus i now have an FFP motor mount, 2.5inch Magnaflow catback, lightweight wheels, and lower mileage. I dont think the clutch is slipping at all, it seems to be the only decent thing on the car as of right now.

Kyle
      1992 Lumina Z34
      5 Speed
      Autozone civic intake
      Ultra White lights
      FFP Dogbone mount
      125k miles
      2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
      60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Comment

Unless your track is slick as snot, you should be able to cut a MUCH BETTER 60 ft with your car. If you get your 60 fts down where they should be, you'll be loving your ETs. No offense meant here, but 2.47 is far from what your car should be capable of (any other W-Body guys with similar cars who can back this up?). You may not think this is a problem, but believe me it is, since your 60 ft impacts everything from then on. I've always felt that my race is pretty much won or lost at the tree and in the first 60 ft (barring parts breakage, missed shift, etc). Weather conditions, although very important for the overall pass, should only impact your 60 ft slightly (like cold making starts slick, or bright sun warming up the line and making it really sticky). Try some of the things I mentioned, and I bet you'll be much happier with your ETs. Until you get those 60 fts down below 2.30, you really aren't getting a good launch.
        Joe Morgan
        bracketracer
        '93 Sunbird SE 3.1/5-speed 14.869 @ 90.96 Heavily Modded
        '00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan 13.689 @ 100.97 Lightly Modded
        '09 G8 GXP Manual Trans 13.166 @ 106.47 BONE STOCK

Comment

In defense of Kyle, when I started dragging my Cutty, it was sad. (I won't sat how sad, but Kyle, it was a lot worse than yours.) It's taken time and some work to get it to 15 flat. And still no major mods.

First thing found, was by Ben. Seemed to run good, but it was timed wrong. I wish we could have dynoed every step, but....

Anyway, he timed it with -6+6, and it improved a lot. Replaced a defective O2 sensor. Then, the chip.....Tuning, some more tuning, and even some more tuning. And it's not done yet. Then, I added a 75mm MAF. Curve ball!!

More tuning. (You ought to see what happens when Ben tunes. He does screw up sometimes, it fell flat on it's face) But, he came through. In one good session.

Got rid of a restriction in the exhaust, dropped some weight out of it, learned how to launch, (tire pressure is very important), and now I sit with a 15.01 fat ass Cutty.

So, this has taken, well, since I joined the site.

So, Kyle, be patient, fix what is wrong and go from there.

I have more stuff to do as soon as Ben gets done with the pushrod heads, but I understand he sleeps on the job.
          If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
          sigpic

Comment

lower mileage? you aren't burning too much fuel, or trying to but not really burning it, are you? just because it isnt throwing a code for being rich doesnt mean it isnt rich. im sure there are tolerances in the tables, and they are probly spread out over both the acceptable and unacceptable range. maybe you should go for a dyno session and make sure your A/F is in the green before you get too dissapointed, running rich tends to run cooler, the extra fuel that doesnt burn off in time in the combustion chamber pulls heat out, heat that could be better used as power.
            If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

There was a time when I used to get 2.0 60 fts with my 3400. I also had a chunky tire on the car as well. This time with my car equipped with the tdc and a manual I as able to get a 2.1, also have a chunky tire on it as well. My 1/8 mile was right with yours which means my 1/4 would be similar. Hooking up is important, but so engine output. In my situation I don't think I could've shifted any better. The last time I had this engine it did a 16.4@84 automatic stock.
              Last edited by gpse3400; 06-26-2006, 10:25 PM.
              Lorenzo
              '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
              '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

there IS something wrong with your launch, unless your engine is backfiring like crazy right after the launch, then youre not launching right. Just because youre not spinning doesnt mean its a good launch. How hard are you launching? Are you pussy footing it? Worried about breaking something so youre not launching as hard as you can? I used to get 2.3+ 60's in my 01 GT (not a pregen i know but same basic thing) because I was so worried about breaking something. About a year ago a said F' it and decided to launch harder. Although my launches are nothing special i managed to get my 60s down from 2.3+ (usually around 2.35) to a 2.20 spinning off the line. Get some good tires and ill be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by stuffy236
                  (not a pregen i know but same basic thing)

what the fuck does pregen mean? are our cars not real because they are gen1 w's?

Comment

The word 'pregen' I find completely insulting. It is used abundantly on CGP, even by the 88-96 crowd! It makes it sound like the first gen W-bodies are a lesser form of car waiting in the shadows for the real W-bodies to emerge. I say F that!

In a 5 speed Z34, a 2.47 launch indicates to me that you're either spinning like mad on the line, or you're letting the clutch out too gingerly. For comparison, my best 1/4 time on street tires is 14.75 @ 94 MPH with a 2.26 60 foot. With the meaty 245 series tires I have, I consider that slow. I should be able to do much better, but I just don't drag race a lot and really don't care to spend the time and money launching over and over to shave another tenth.

Honestly, on street tires, a little spin off the line won't hurt anything. In fact with a stick it's almost essential. What I do is launch around 2500 and when I dump the clutch try to hold it around 2500, then when the tires hook up drop the hammer. Try different things and find out what works best for you. If you really want, you can set up a 60 foot track on a back road and practice. If you can run a 2.35 on the street, you should be able to run 2.30 at the track.
                    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyles93Z34
                      Well tonight(6-16-06) i took my 92 Lumina Z34 5 speed back to the track. The only thing that i changed was ; i tinkered around with the intake, got it farther away from the manifold and made a partial heat shield. I also removed the rain guard on the left front to let some heat escape. The temp tongiht was about the same as when i went last time. Tonight my best run, happened to be my first- i let it sit for an hour with ice on the exposed intake pipe, the run was a 16.462 @ 83.83mph. That was my highest trap speed tonight. It was also my second best 60* of the night, 2.478 . I dont think the problem now is my ability to launch, i thought i was launching quite well tonight. After the 16.4 run i consistantly ran a 16.6. I ran 5 of these 16.6s and a 16.5. I had a full tank of gas but i also did last time, and i removed all my speakers and junk in the car. Last time, my best time was a 16.7@83. The car is still throwing an EGR code and a clutch switch code. I will be starting my new job Monday, the $$$ i make will go for replacing the clutch switch and buying Ben's chip and have him turn the EGR off with it. If i have money left over i might take the car to the local Chevy dealer and have them check the injectors and compression. I did take down a few cars though. my friends 2000 Accord V6 3 times and a Nissan passport 2 times. I didn't put this is race stories b/c i was wondering if yall have any more ideas on what could be causing the problems. I wish some of the LQ1 experts lived near here.

I tried to scan the timeslip but it wasnt legible so i will post the time:

R/T- .356

60*- 2.478

330- 6.898

1/8- 10.622

1/8 MPH- 66.58

1/4- 16.462

1/4MPH- 83.83

Thanks a lot.

Kyle

hey kyle, I took a piece of cabinet grade 3/4" mahogany plywood and cut it to match the upper intake gasket, shellaced it, studed the intake bolts, and welded shut the coolatn port to the TB on the lower. make a phenolic plate its a huge temp diferance on the upper intake. I wish I had a dyno when I did it. But it was a cheap upgrade and easy to do. Provided you have a welder handy and you can work wood. OH, remove the fiberglass hood sound proofing, so it'll clear the hood. SHe'll also get cooler engine bay temps.

PS, I had a '92 Z-34 and I was bracketing in at 16.02 stock. I had an automatic. My track was sitting at sea level and 100+ temps, humidity of 100%, I'll have to look up the baro pressure. during this set up I had blocked off the TB coolant, ran a K&N filter in it's stock box, and modified a mustang 5.0L 180 deg stat to fit. I had stock rubber on her and was running 116 octane race fuel 8 gallons in the tank to keep the pump cool, dex coolant, and put 0w20 synthetic oil in just for the raceing, don't drive on it! I towed her to the track. AC Delco rapid fire plugs I went 2 heat ranges codler then stock and lost .004" on the gap. I found her to run this fast and consistant at 130 deg on coolant temp and 90-98 deg on ambient air temp. Push her to the stage lanes and push her to the all the way to the burn out box. then start it, she will warm up just enough to get you to those temps before the race. In between passes I bungy corded a house floor fan under the hood to blow on her for a good 2 hours before the next pass. It helped, alot!
                      Last edited by 95SleeperAcheiva; 07-07-2006, 01:22 PM.
                      sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                      A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                      Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

didnt know anyone would get anal about the word "pre-gen"

oops... i said it again.

Pregen just means, previous generation... which you are. No one said youre lesser, youre the one saying that.

Comment

Alright, i took the car back last friday night, the 7th. This time i put the stock intake back on, as some instructed. I even iced the intake manifold for an hour till it was nice and cool. That night was around 10* cooler than when i ran a 16.4, it was also much less humid. My best time was a 16.594 @82.24, here is the shitter though. I ran my best 60ft time ever with this car, a 2.394. This is almost the exact time i got with my auto when i ran a 15.7. The only thing i changed this time was i had my tires rotated and balanced, oil changed, and new plugs, wires, and coils installed. So i was a tenth slower and a mph slower than when i ran it in hotter weather and with the old intake. Last thursday night i orded my chip from Ben and i hope it will be here soon to see if it will make a differance.

In response to the idea about the wood, i dont have a welder nor do i have access to one. Thank you for the idea though. Instead of using a fan i just ice my intake manifold and dont run the car for an hour or two. I do push it throgh the lanes.

I'll update yall after i get Ben's chip installed and tell you if it makes any differance.

Kyle
                          1992 Lumina Z34
                          5 Speed
                          Autozone civic intake
                          Ultra White lights
                          FFP Dogbone mount
                          125k miles

Comment

how is your shifting?

Comment

Fine. I did notice this time that power really seems to fall off after 6k. I tried short shifting but it didnt help.

Kyle
                              1992 Lumina Z34
                              5 Speed
                              Autozone civic intake
                              Ultra White lights
                              FFP Dogbone mount
                              125k miles

Comment

well on a stock lq1 power past 6200 isnt going to be there. is the chip in yet?
                                92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

Working...
                                X