Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took the Z to the track with Ben's Chip!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the Z to the track with Ben's Chip!!!

Alright, as most of you know i have a freakishly slow 92 Z34 5 speed. My best time before Ben's Chip was a 16.462@ 83.83. Well i went to the track tonight because i installed Ben's Chip for my car. I love this chip. I ran a 16.292@85.36!!! I picked up 2 tenths and 2mph!!! I am ecstatic about this. I am still wondering what is causing my car to be pitifuly slow for what it is. The only thing i think is left is the timing, i wish Ben lived closer and i would have him time it +6-6. My 60ft was basically identical to the 16.4 run. With the chip the 60ft was 2.471, without the chip it was 2.478. The weird thing is that i took the car last week before the chip and it ran a 16.5 but the 60ft was a 2.35. I thought that i launched better this time, but i guess not. I highly recommend this chip to any1. Ben was great to work with, i ordered the chip on a thursday night and got it in on Monday morning.

Kyle
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles
    2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
    60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Here is a link to the video of the 16.2.

Kyle

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    1992 Lumina Z34
    5 Speed
    Autozone civic intake
    Ultra White lights
    FFP Dogbone mount
    125k miles

Comment

What is your altitude there? Your times aren't right for your 3.4 5 speed. It should be much faster. I ran a 16.2 on FFP pulley/dog bones and a catback exhaust only. And that is with a 95 3100.
      Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
      02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
      www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Really low...I have discussed the problems with my car on many other threads, i dont want this to turn into those threads. Read the last thread i made under the drag racing forum and you'll find some info there.

Kyle
        1992 Lumina Z34
        5 Speed
        Autozone civic intake
        Ultra White lights
        FFP Dogbone mount
        125k miles

Comment

did you ever run a compression test? what did you get? what is your mileage? You sure she's not just worn out?
          sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
          A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
          Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
          Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
          PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

I haven't run a compression test yet, i think my alternator is going out. It whines alot now, my power steering pump leaked onto it. It has 127k miles. I really think the timing is off. I am just not sure who to take it to to get timed.
            1992 Lumina Z34
            5 Speed
            Autozone civic intake
            Ultra White lights
            FFP Dogbone mount
            125k miles

Comment

timing belt ever changed? it could have stretched.

I had a '92 Z-34 with 13k on it. No shit.

at 21k we did head and intkae work so we changed the timing belt. At the time for giggles I brought it up to see where the timing was at...

it was out, way out. we picked up a full second just putting her at stock specs. The belts do stretch.

Before you waster money going any further, run a compression test. If your compression is low you ain't go'in go. Plain and simple. do you know how to do a dry compression test?
              Do you have the tool?

There is no point in pushing for power if this mill is burnt, comp test first. Post results by cylinder if you can do.
              Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
              PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

My alternator did take a shit on me. I dont think i will be able to do a compression test. I don't know how to do a dry test, nor do i have the tool. I am saving my money to have the timing reset, it has to be off because the way the car jerks around at low throttle changes. I wish Ben was closer so i could have him do it, i am not sure the local chevy dealer will be able to put the timing back right. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to have a dealer change/fix the timing? I don't have a clue. I will go there after i get my car back from the local shop that is doing the alternator.
                1992 Lumina Z34
                5 Speed
                Autozone civic intake
                Ultra White lights
                FFP Dogbone mount
                125k miles

Comment

You don't want to know.

Last time I did a parts list I came up with $600 in parts, alone.

I changed timing belt idler pulleys, tensioner, and belt, they add up, though at the time I was on an island so my part prices will be about 25% more than yours or current. It calls for 5 hrs. book time to do the job, provided nothing breaks coming apart. It also calls for special tools that are specific to that motor, so if you don't have them, don't do it.

OTC makes a special tool kit and it runs close to $400. I bought mine on ebay for $220 direct from a GM dealer closing out. Find out what a GM dealer will charge per hour, make sure they have the tools for it and the experience before you go. The GM dealer on my island had no clue that she took special tools for the job till they had one apart. I was working for them at the time and pulled the mechanic off the job because he never did one before. It's a bit tricky your first time but gets easier everytime. I would really recommend you get the timing tool from Ben and do the cam adv/ret. while your at it.

BUT

fix the alternator, low power can cause a world of problems. Buy a screw in style compression gauge, about $15.

Run the motor till she's at operating temps.
                  shut off and remove all 6 plugs.
                  prop throttle open at WOT.
                  disconnect fuel injector electrical harness.
                  put compression gauge on each cylinder and crank motor.
                  do each cylinder.
                  record findings.
                  make sure you number it properly as to which cylinder is #1 thru #6.

Look, you'll be kicking yourself later if you pay to have the timing belt changed, only to find out you needed a re-build and would need to change the belt anyway after or during the rebuild. It's alot easier to change the belt when the motor is out of the car, then in.

Compression testing is one of those first thing diagnostic steps. Kind of like, "Step 1, disconnect the battery." Get it?

Good luck. Feel free to ask for help.
                  Last edited by 95SleeperAcheiva; 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X