Ran my car at the 1/8th mile track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran my car at the 1/8th mile track

I am still tracking down this damn Knock Retard. I still have 7* present and I am looking to change the computer, knock sensor and stiffen the tranny mount. I have been struggling with KR ever since the car has been stock.

Here is the run down of my best time of the night. Keep in mind it was in the 80's humid and the track is somewhat rundown (Terre Haute, IN) and it was my first time to the track (my numbers kept getting better with every run and as the air temp cooled down)

RT: .1810
    60 ft. 2.3030
    330 ft. 6.5049
    ET @ 594 ft. 9.3330
    1/8th ET 9.9578
    1/8th MPH 72.02
    2000 Grand Am GT
    2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

you are defintely in the mid 15's. I'm sure the car feels pretty good around town. The next time your at the track, and they have high octane fuel, buy it. The converter won't be damaged by using it once in a blue moon. Thats so you stop detonating. When you fix that then you won't need it. Your car will be faster. Yeah and heat up the tires some more.
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I was running premium 93 octane, and I have no cat on the car at the moment so race gas might be a good idea next time until I get the cat back on. I really want to try to switch out the computer to see if there is an issue with the early 2001 programming. There are some things that can not be changed as DHP did not unlock all of the tables of the PCM, so I will see if an 02 computer is any better.

I also need to get the 3500 plenum back on as I am currently running a 3400 plenum. Then also check for a faulty knock sensor (the car had minor frontal collision damage in the past)

The front engine/tranny mount is another area that I need to address, I currently have 2 spares and both have tears in the rubber and show signs of being weak.

The track is going to be closed for 2 weeks, so I will see if I can't get these issues corrected by then.
      2000 Grand Am GT
      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Did you change the valvetrain? Knock sensor is tuned to a specific frequency. If the problem persists, try putting teflon tape on the threads, to reduce the sensitivity. Check the plugs for the best reading of detonation.

Comment

Originally posted by hondaetr
          Did you change the valvetrain? Knock sensor is tuned to a specific frequency. If the problem persists, try putting teflon tape on the threads, to reduce the sensitivity. Check the plugs for the best reading of detonation.
          The valvetrain is stock, although I do have the 3500 top end (minus the 3500 plenum) TOG headers, borla catback, 65mm TB, and some tuning. When the car was the stock 3400 it would pull 10-12* of KR.

I will probably pull the knock sensor and put teflon tape on the threads, I have also read that if it is overtorqued that it can cause false knock.

There has also been a few people that have noticed reductions as much as 5-6* KR by installing a stiffer motor/tranny mount.

I look to get this taken care of and get back to the track asap. I also plan on getting on the dyno in december.

The car does feel good on the street, and I wish there was a 1/4th mile track close. The car pulls alot harder around 60-70MPH.
          2000 Grand Am GT
          2011 Chevy Impala

Comment

Originally posted by onefastV6
            I was running premium 93 octane, and I have no cat on the car at the moment so race gas might be a good idea next time until I get the cat back on. I really want to try to switch out the computer to see if there is an issue with the early 2001 programming. There are some things that can not be changed as DHP did not unlock all of the tables of the PCM, so I will see if an 02 computer is any better.

I also need to get the 3500 plenum back on as I am currently running a 3400 plenum. Then also check for a faulty knock sensor (the car had minor frontal collision damage in the past)

The front engine/tranny mount is another area that I need to address, I currently have 2 spares and both have tears in the rubber and show signs of being weak.

The track is going to be closed for 2 weeks, so I will see if I can't get these issues corrected by then.

Why you pull the 3500 intake though? The knocksensor defintely deserves attention of some sort. Didn't occur to me that maybe it is damaged. Fix that and you hopefully it'll read normal. If the computer were to show detonation on 112 octane fuel I'd say your knock sensor circuit has failed. Verify the whole circuit. If your mounts are hydraulic, check in wit napa online and see if you can get solid rubber counterparts. But in the in the best MidWest Tradition... "Good Deal!"
            Lorenzo
            '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
            '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I bet that run you ran would have been in the low 15s. I ran a 10.2@68 and ran a 15.9. Good luck with all that stuff that needs to be addressed.

Kyle
              1992 Lumina Z34
              5 Speed
              Autozone civic intake
              Ultra White lights
              FFP Dogbone mount
              125k miles
              2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
              60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Comment

Originally posted by gpse3400
                Why you pull the 3500 intake though? The knocksensor defintely deserves attention of some sort. Didn't occur to me that maybe it is damaged. Fix that and you hopefully it'll read normal. If the computer were to show detonation on 112 octane fuel I'd say your knock sensor circuit has failed. Verify the whole circuit. If your mounts are hydraulic, check in wit napa online and see if you can get solid rubber counterparts. But in the in the best MidWest Tradition... "Good Deal!"
                The reason I have the 3500 plenum off, is because with the 3500 heads and LIM, the plenum neck had to be ground very thin, so thin that an expoxy filler patch was put in. Well then I as driving one day and the epoxy filler came out and the car wouldn't run (Huge Vac leak). So needless to say I need to relocate the FPR. I have a redesiged FRP mount that should move it out of the way enough to work, however Ben told me that Marc is working on an adapter that will allow the use of an Aftermarket AFPR which I would like to do eventually.

I have checked on solid mounts and there is nothing available, just the replacement hydraulic mounts which sucks.

In the mean time I am back at school with no place to work on anything, so now is my time to do all the research that I can. I really feel that not having the 3500 plenum on hurt my times alot as I feel the throttle response is alot quicker with the 3500 plenum. Also being my first time at the track didn't help.

We will see what happens here in the next few months before the track closes, I am also looking into a 4t65 HD swap in the next year or so and I think I might have some of the parts sourced that I need.
                Last edited by onefastV6; 08-27-2006, 01:04 PM.
                2000 Grand Am GT
                2011 Chevy Impala

Comment

We need to test your injectors some time as well. Perhaps one is not as good and causing the KR? Ah, speculations:P

Ill see if scott has time to weld your plenum this week.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks Ben

I think I have my finger on part of my KR issue, a few more scans and a few more changes and I should be alot closer. I noticed that I was getting most of my KR between 3600-5200RPM upon further investigation my O2 readings were in the 960's and my LTFT's were a little rich at -2.34.

I plan to have these corrected soon and get back to the track in the next few weeks. Also the weather has started to cool down a little which can only help.
                    2000 Grand Am GT
                    2011 Chevy Impala

Comment

Working...
                    X