compression ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression ratio

Well i am going to be building up a 3400 from a 00 grand am not a gt- i am going to blow it with a m90 from a 92 bird and intercooled. here is my question that thing pushes out 12psi. and the compression is 9:5.1 already. so is this going to be too high? ans is there such a thing as a boost controller for a supercharger? i know there is for turbos- i have lots of experience that way no supercharged. will the pistons hold to that kind of boost for long at all even as a very quick daily driver?

(not getting many good answers as far the compression ratio goes from the z24 guys- just them trying to explain boost to me as if i did not know how it works)

You know that sun viser that doesn\'t quite go down when the sun is there and then when you are driving with it down and you can\'t see the stoplights ? Well... that\'s why my fiero isn\'t at the shop yet....

The pulley is the boost controller.

Your compression ratio should be no problem for an M90 at 12 psi with enough injector and tuning done.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      The pulley is the boost controller.

Your compression ratio should be no problem for an M90 at 12 psi with enough injector and tuning done.

You will probably need a smaller pulley on that blower to get 12 psi. But yes, it will work.

As said above, it will work perfect. I have a stock 3400 running 14 psi @ redline on a cerntifugal blower. (intercooled) 30# fuel injectors with TGP chip. Runs awsome.

You will NEED to upgrade your valve springs. ( I recommend LS-6) The boost just pushes the stockers open @ high RPM.
      11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
      10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

hey MARS,

how come he would need a smaller sized pulley ?

those m90 already do 12 psi with the stock pulley.

bjorn
        nothing's impossible-it's just a mindset

Comment

My mistake, Seing as the T-bird SC was so underpowered, I figured it was only running 5-6 psi... haha.

Comment

no no that's cuz itz uh ford
            You know that sun viser that doesn\'t quite go down when the sun is there and then when you are driving with it down and you can\'t see the stoplights ? Well... that\'s why my fiero isn\'t at the shop yet....

Comment

SC pulley size really depends on the crank pulley size. Changing the size of the crank pulley has the opposite effect of changing the SC pulley. Bigger crank pulley = more boost.
              MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
              '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
              http://www.tcemotorsports.com
              http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

correct,it's al about the relation of crank and sc pulley sizes.

how can one calculate the pulley size if you know engine displacement
                and capacaty of the sc.

don't know the VE of the 3400 engine though????

B

Comment

VE? i could find out- but i remember reading that somewhere but i can't remember what the acrinim means.

Comment

check out what i just found! http://kb-silvolite.com/article.php?action=read&A_id=57

um that means the compression ratio for the 3400 at 12psi would be 17.3 that thing WOULD blow up if that were true. your recommendations?

here is another interesting article for personal use.

Last edited by vega; 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM.

Comment

VE means : volumetric efficiency

I need to know the specific VE on the 3400 engine.

B

Comment

Originally posted by vega View Post
                        check out what i just found! http://kb-silvolite.com/article.php?action=read&A_id=57

um that means the compression ratio for the 3400 at 12psi would be 17.3 that thing WOULD blow up if that were true. your recommendations?

here is another interesting article for personal use.

http://dtcc.cz28.com/gminfo.htm
                        Funny how people run 12 PSI+ on teh 3400 and they don't blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                          Funny how people run 12 PSI+ on teh 3400 and they don't blow up.
                          What about 11.78:1 boosted?
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

I went for a cruise in my car last night. 17 psi.

Haha, yup, that's seventeen @ 6500 RPM.

Doesn't even sputter. I think my heads were milled a TAD to get them straight as well, so I have a tad more compression than stock.

Amazing what a half decent tune and a BIG intercooler can do. I should get a vid, but the torque steer and all that, it's hard to film.

So, as I said before, RUN 12 PSI, just make sure you have a good tune. It will be 100%.

Comment

sweet so either i read that site wrong or that site was wrong.

forcedfirebird how did you get 11.78:1? for math that is? whats the equation? if you will.

Comment

Working...
                              X