1991 GTP 5 Speed Turbo DONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks great!

Is that a 3" downpipe? I so, it's the first 3" downpipe on a 3.4 DOHC turbo setup that I've seen.

Enjoy the boost.

Tim
    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

You are correct, it is definatly a 3" downpipe!

Jake
      GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

I just noticed something, are those couplers from egay? If so, I'd hurry up and swap them out asap. I had used a few like those and from the heat + pressure, they just busted open. I got lucky and nothing ended up melting going into my engine.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Yeah they are ebay couplers, the one on the intake is a real silicone one, but the rest are cheap rubber ones, couldnt beat the price (came free with the pipe kit), i just cant afford to change them now, this project threw me in the hole big time.

Jake

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Comment

LMAO! i had one of the cheap ones on my IC piping right next to the turbo when i 1st got mine running and that shyt lasted about 10 min. Go hot and blew a hold right out the side of it when i boosted. definaly need to replace them. www.turbohoses.com and there is another place i have to look when i get home thats cheap.

S
            Shane "RedZMonte"
            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

well for right now these are working, for how long, i dont know, but ive been boosting the hell outta the car and boosting to 7 psi steady and havent had any problems yet, i actually broke a hose clamp under boost the first day but no problems since. but i definatly plan on replacing those , those are about the only thing i cheaped out on for this setup

Jake

Comment

Looks nice and clean.........dryer duct huh.......wrap that bitch you can get a turbo wrap kit on ebay from chemcool for 35 bucks and make one yourself like I did..........keep those fuel lines as far away from the DP as possible.....I went through 2 pairs before I got my tgp lines finally. both times the lines dried out, cracked and almost sent my car up in flames........don't use header wrap that insulates the heat, you need reflective heat wrap the foil looking stuff.........

Oh and get the aerospace clamps from ebay you know the t bolt style. coolant clamps that go pop are not going to hold boost.........even if it is only 7 psi.

Ken
                2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
                455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

yeah, unfortunatly dryer duct was the only thing that would make that sharp of a bend, i spent hundreds on other stuff trying to make it work and in the end thats all i coudl do, i wrapped it in black duct tape now though to stop it from flexing and it looks better. I am definatly going to get some of those clamps you are talking about i just want to get everything set up nice first, and so far i havent had any pop off and ive boosted the hell outta this thing. i am also going to replace the rubber couplers with silcone , right now the only silicone one i have is the intake one.

Jake

Comment

Heres 2 short little videos i took the other night, if you click the link under the screen that says "watch in high quality" then you can see the speedo better.

This is a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4L DOHC 5 speed manual transmission. Turbonetics 62-1 turbo, intercooled, on this video its running 6.5 psi of boost ...

Jake

Comment

1st gear seems useless now that you have boost. It just toast those tires up!
                      88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Yeah, im actually debating on trying a launch in 2nd gear just to see what happens. its still fun to drive though. im sure that 1st being so short is what is causing my bad launches at the track.

Jake

Comment

I'd just roll 1st and dump 2nd. Don't try and start off in 2nd.
                          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Nice job!

I love boost
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

wow thats awesome , i didnt think you can turbo it bc of the plastic cam gears" so i was told they have " did you do internals at all? and where did you get the turbo manifold? or did you make it?

Comment

Well the 3.4 DOHC definatly does NOT have plastic cam gears, they are definatly metal. As far as internals go, nothing to help it structurally , only mods for more power, cam timing mods, ported and decked heads, ported intakes , stuff like that, there is a list at the beggining of this thread somewhere listing them all.

I made the turbo manifold and downpipe myself, as you cannot buy anything for these motors as far as bolt on kits.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X