1991 GTP 5 Speed Turbo DONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

As for the tuning, i had it on hold, because the car was stored for winter, i just got it out today, so im gonna get going on that again.

For some reason the car is starting to chug and sputter at about 5000rpm under boost in WOT in 3rd and 4th gear, so i dont know if its starting to knock and its the knock retard kicking in or if there is a problem.

Im going to change the spark plugs and see what happens, its possible its just a plug, i hope lol.

As for the transmission its going strong still, the clutch is a Spec Stage 3+ supposedly can handle 800+ hp , lol so the clutch is holding fine.

Jake
    GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

As far as the chugging and sputtering; could the fuel filter be restricted causing it to starve for fuel when the demands are greatest?

Had this happen to my 86 T-Type before. Got a bad tank of gas and it plugged 4 or 5 filters in quick succession before it cleared up. It would surge a little on and off, and almost hit a "wall" where the RPM's wouldn't go much higher.

The wideband showed the AFR in the 17 to 18 range when this would happen. It NEVER did knock though.

I forgot you're in Canada. Here in Alabama we don't really have to put away a car in the winter. There's not any appreciable snow and no road salt anyway.

Later,
      David
      David Allen - Northport, AL
      1986 Century T-Type, Iron Head 3.1 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
      1988 Olds Ciara XC, GenII 2.8 MPFI Turbo-Intercooled
      1972 Chevy Nova, 305 Small Block V8 EFI
      1984 Century Olympia, 3.8SFI Turbo, over 400 HP
      http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbokinetic

Comment

Hmmm well im not sure about the fuel filter, because its only in the 5000rpm range, once it hits 6000rpm it slams to 7200rpm real nice and crisp.

Im gonna change the plugs and put a step colder in and see what happens there and hopefully nothing is melted when i pull the plugs out lmao. Ill turn on the wideband O2 and see what its reading too.

But yeah i stored the car for the winter, 60*F out today though lol so it was time to take it back out, man how i missed that car, lol driving an L67 all winter. lol and i really missed the 5 speed.

But im gonna get started on the tuning again, hopefully Ben can give me a hand there, hes really good. I just ordered a new programmer since i broke my old one, ill have to get some datalogs and see whats going on.

then ive gotta hook up the methenol injector and re tune it for that, turn the boost to 10psi. should be fun, then retune lol.

Today i ordered all new silicone couplers for the intercooler piping and t-bolt clamps for them all, and i ordered a turbo exhaust housing cover to keep the under hood temps down and so i dont fry my coolant hose or heat up the intercooler piping. so i cant wait for all that to come in and hook it up.

Then Ben gave me the great idea to put in a TGP radiator so i will have room infront of the turbo to put some proper ducting in for the air filter, that will make me alot happier.

But ill keep ya posted on the progress, i just cant wait to finish it and be done messing, enjoy more driving lol.

Jake
        Last edited by grandprixgtp_91; 03-07-2009, 02:02 AM.
        GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Working...
        X