boosting my L82 3100.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boosting my L82 3100.....

my question is what would be easier to use on turbocharging the 3100.....having a custom manifold made to mount up the turbo or possibly finding a TGP manifold and hacking it and making it fit onto mine?? thanx......

Having a custom made would be easier.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Custom would be ideally better, but hogging out a set of tgp mannies would get it done. Probably cost the same if someone else is doing the work. Cheaper if done yourself.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

The reason I said custom is because you will have a hard time find a TGP manifold, let alone one that isn't rusted out and in need of serious repair.
        -Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

There's some stuff for sale right here in the B/S/T

Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

whats the average goin rate for someone to fab up a manifold like that? jus wonderin because i live in columbus ohio and i found a engine replacment shop or whatever, and i been talking to the guy pretty heavily for the past week. Anyways....he said he got a few 1990 pontiac TGP motors and the best one has about 77k on it and hes willing to let it go for $995 w/o trans. would it be worth my time to slam that in my car? will it even fit? what about the trans? could i possibly slap a 4t60 on it for the time being? thanx a TON to all you guys for your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              There's some stuff for sale right here in the B/S/T

http://60degreev6.com/forum/f105/hug...tgp-kit-t41477
              He's had a couple inuiries lately, but no responses since the beginning of December. So I'm not sure if its even still available or not.
              -Brad-
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ecko614 View Post
                ...he said he got a few 1990 pontiac TGP motors and the best one has about 77k on it and hes willing to let it go for $995 w/o trans. would it be worth my time to slam that in my car? will it even fit? what about the trans? could i possibly slap a 4t60 on it for the time being? thanx a TON to all you guys for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
                Depends on your local emissions laws. I've heard that it's illegal to install an engine that is older than the vehicle you're putting it into.

To answer your question though, it should fit, considering it's the same physical size as your L82.
                Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

custom is the way to go. fits better then hacking and welding. Also the TGP x-over is tiny. I have a spare one laying around in my storage unit. the kit i made for my car is a set of stock front log manifolds and a custom X-over and custom downpipe.

Go to a decent muffler shop and price it out.

S
                  Shane "RedZMonte"
                  2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                  1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                  -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                  2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                  1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                  1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                  1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                  1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I charged $400 for last headers and $100 for the rest of the install, but he's now in the 12's. Muffler shop was going to charge him about 3x that.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

wow....i aint got that kind of money right now to blow on it. would a better route be to jus build it up NA or 3400 top swap, or a full 3400 swap and boost it then? i would love to have a boosted 95 GA GT so i can beat my friends ass(1995 240sx with 250hp sr20DET). he trys to clown on me all the time for not joining his "import" family. Im all about the arrowhead tho-always have been, prolly always will be. Want at least 300-325hp maybe a lil more but for a daily driver i think thats suitable.....

Comment

300 hp is gonna be tough without a snail...
                        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

yea i know, but what im tryin to figur out is....would it be a better route to boost the L82 3100? or boosting a 3100 w/ a 3400 top swap? or just flat out boosting a 3400 swapped motor?

Comment

Of course the "flat" out 3400.

You could achieve 300 out of a 3100 with plenty of non heat soaked boost. Will need a fine tune to make it remotely possible.

If a 3.1 can do it, so can a 3100.
                            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

kool kool man. thanx a ton-you basically jus helped me decide what its store for the summer project. thnx again

Comment

Working...
                              X