ceramic coating and header wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceramic coating and header wrap

Keep this in mind, reliability is important but as long as it lasts 1-2 years I will be more then happy, any longer is just a bonus.

I plan on buying some ceramic coating that you apply yourself ( http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1152...5erfrg5467.htm ) I plan on coating both headers, the crossover, turbo, and downpipe on the outside and as much of the insides as I can.

Only one problem, I hear that while header wrap tends to eat pipes, it does knock down on heat better. Getting rid of the underhood heat that keeps meling all hoses, wires, and other plastic objects that are close to the exhaust is the goal. Could I ceramic coat everything, bake it on, then wrap it all in header wrap? I have found opinions on one of the other but never both at the same time.

Why not just save up the cash and have jet hot do it all. Think about it. I just sent my headers out to them for the basic sterling silver and it wasnt that expensive. Thats just my 2 cents.
    1992 Chevrolet S10
    2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

That stuff in the link is does the same thing as the coating Jet Hot uses. Its made by Techline and multiple smaller ceramic coating companies use it.

With Jet Hot I am looking at $500-600 to have it done, way more then I am willing to pay, not to mention I can afford 2 days maximum of my car being down.

Comment

Brian , do you have a large blasting cabinet and have aluminum oxide or fine silica sand on hand? Do you have large oven to cure the parts in?
        1992 Chevrolet S10
        2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

I have a sand blaster and all the blasting sand I would ever need. For the coating it is cured by running the engine, there are a few Fiero and Mustang owners that I know of that did it DIY and they havn't had a problem with it yet.

I plan on doing the ceramic coat myself either way, I really have no choice otherwise. I was just curios that if putting header wrap over it would cause problems.

Comment

I was hoping I could steer you into having them professionally done for both better quality and the warranty.

About header wraps, here is a website that you should read.

Great savings on closeout and overstock items. New items added regularly. Limited Quantities
            1992 Chevrolet S10
            2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

I plan to also coat my manifolds with this stuff too. I figure, hey, for that cheap, its worth a shot! Even if it doesnt look that great... its still 100x better than rust!

Comment

Yea, I've read problably 20-30 sites (including that one) about which is better, but not a single one will tell me if I can use both at the same time. A lot of those sites I have read say that ceramic coating will not knock down the underhood temp as much as header wrap, though the pipes will last longer. Problem is that with header wrap on everything already, I am still melting things.

Comment

Ahh hmm

Brian can you call teh coating company and just see what they have to say or better yet how about calling a header wrap manufacturer? Let us know how it all works out for you!
                  1992 Chevrolet S10
                  2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Yes, be sure to let us know how it works..
                    I would consider using this stuff whenever I get my turbo rebuilt.

1996 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition - Coilovers & ST springs, magnaflow exhaust, M&S FWI, Powrtuned ECM, Aweb Door sills, much much more.
                    1987 Suzuki Samurai JX Tintop - Weber DGV5E carb, 2" exhaust, Calmini Header, 147k, daily driver

Comment

Brian,

Here's the URL to Airborn Coating's price list. I don't have a dog in this fight but, you might be able to use this as a pricing benchmark
                      FWIW: They do EXCELLENT work

Jim

Originally posted by brian89gp
                      That stuff in the link is does the same thing as the coating Jet Hot uses. Its made by Techline and multiple smaller ceramic coating companies use it.

With Jet Hot I am looking at $500-600 to have it done, way more then I am willing to pay, not to mention I can afford 2 days maximum of my car being down.
                      Be well,
                      Jim Gunther

Comment

I've actually looked into Airborn before as well and have heard good things. Don't get me wrong, if I had the $ and could afford to go without my car for a while I would have Jethot or Airborn do it for me but am in a pinch.

I've ordered some of the DIY Techline coating and will let everybody know how well it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by brian89gp
                          I've ordered some of the DIY Techline coating and will let everybody know how well it works out.
                          Sweet! Im curious how well it works. What color did you decide on?

Comment

Black. Supposidly due to the base material the black coatings will always offer better heat protection. That and I don't care for the other colors :P

Comment

just to let everyone know, i just got done coating Ben's exh. manifolds with "cast iron" ceramic. check out the pics:

I modify stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X