Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauging interest...turbo manifolds?

Hey guys-

I'm checking to see if there would be any interest in making "reproduction" cast iron manifolds for the rear head, TGP style.

Est. Cost right now would be ~$100 but that's really just a ballpark, it's going to depend on my foundry's quote & machining costs.

I'd plan on making them for:
    2.8/3.1 MPFI
    3100/3400

and if I have more donor manifolds I could work with other engines too.

A little background:
    I can do my own metalcasting, I run a small microfoundry in my backyard. I cast aluminum mostly, but I can do brass, and I have many connections in the foundry industry where I can get cast iron done. In addition I worked for several years in an industrial iron jobbing foundry until they closed, so I have plenty of experience there as well. I make my own tooling, and cast my own parts whenever possible, but for castiron I will need to outsource the work.

Here's a few pictures of my work in Aluminum:
    Reproduction HK$ intake pipes for the Mazda 323 GTX

Intake adapters to use an Thunderbird IHI/Garrett turbo in a FWD application:

Model train parts for an enthusiast:

Custom hood ornament for my other car:

So, think there would be a demand for these parts? Anyone interested?
    -JerryRigg / Rocketman
    RIP - 94 GP SE
    DD - 95 GP SE
    Fun - 91 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo AWD Conversion

http://www.werbatfik.com

Honestly, I think you'd be best to remake something like upper intakes with slight alterations and timing covers with that extra mod done to it to take on a double roller chain setup.

But you never know, there might be enough interested in a tgp rear mani order.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

not to discourage you but the 2.8L/3.1L guys are a dying breed these days. the 3X00 guys might be all for it tho..

S
      Shane "RedZMonte"
      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

If i were you i would metal cast the beretta jack shaft since they are getting harder and harder to find im sure if its a quality peice you wont have any trouble selling them

Comment

I am also going to say a 3X00 upper intake with a M112 flange.... I'll buy one if I like the price.
          11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
          10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by JerryRigg View Post
            .............Here's a few pictures of my work in Aluminum:
            Reproduction HK$ intake pipes for the Mazda 323 GTX
            What is the inside diameter of the intake pipes, and what do you charge each for them? I'm guessing one-off custom radius sizes would be expensive
            1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
            Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
            = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

Originally posted by AleroB888 View Post
              What is the inside diameter of the intake pipes, and what do you charge each for them? I'm guessing one-off custom radius sizes would be expensive
              ID is 2.25" IIRC. I take custom orders, PM me with what you need, I'll come up with a quote.

Alpine: Axles are forged steel usually, a cast piece would not hold up.

I have plans to make custom UIM's, to fit different throttlebodies and such. I didnt think about timing covers, i could possibly come up with something for that.

I would like to design a new LIM too, for either a supercharger or better design overall... need spare/donor parts first, and I'd also like to start with smaller projects first.

But yeah, i figured the 3x00 would be the most popular, I'll get the ball rolling for them

Thanks for your input-
              JerryRigg / Rocketman
              RIP - 94 GP SE
              DD - 95 GP SE

Comment

I have plans to make custom UIM's, to fit different throttlebodies and such.

Thanks for your input-
                JerryRigg / Rocketman
                No offense but its much easier to make an adapter plate, or hack the stock one off and weld on a new flange.

I would like to design a new LIM too, for either a supercharger or better design overall... need spare/donor parts first, and I'd also like to start with smaller projects first.

Thanks for your input-
                JerryRigg / Rocketman
                I would like to see that. Check out the thread I started.

You will see after getting some donor parts that the stock LIM design makes its real difficult to make a decent design to fit a charger plus make it fit under the stock hood......

S...........L...........E...........E...........P...........E...........R

Comment

Originally posted by kwhauck View Post
                  No offense but its much easier to make an adapter plate, or hack the stock one off and weld on a new flange.

I would like to see that. Check out the thread I started.

You will see after getting some donor parts that the stock LIM design makes its real difficult to make a decent design to fit a charger plus make it fit under the stock hood......
                  On my old GP I had to do the head gaskets, I do remember the LIM being fairly intricate. I haven't had a chance to get to the JY yet to grab any spare parts.

I've been keeping a close eye on your thread there, I'm extremely interested in the outcome. Keeping the stock hood might be very tough, I have to get some parts in my hands to see what can be done.
                  RIP - 94 GP SE
                  DD - 95 GP SE

Comment

that 3.1L timing cover idea to support a double roller chain would be a plus for myself. Having to replace link belt chains every 6-10k miles because of my heavy valve springs and cam gets annoying and frustrating
                    Radical Revs Race Mods- RRRM
                    Owner and Founder -Jarek

Comment

Can you link me to the timing cover mods needed to run the double roller chain?
                      RIP - 94 GP SE
                      DD - 95 GP SE

Comment

I dont think its ever been done before on one of these motors. I believe its been done on the 3500's though. What is needed is a recasting w/ a larger spacing to allow the chain to fit. I think the 3.1 and 3.4 camaro guys have the ability to run these. The other problem I would think could be an issue is belt spacing. Maybe the whole cover can be spaced another 1/2inch out away for the block and a spacer made for the crank pulley to make up for the difference. That would allow all the belt accessories to be in line with each other.. idk if there is a market for them but hey if your willing to make a custom part like this Im willing to pay.

As far as exhaust manifolds go I think a bigger market would be to cast in the 3500 d-port but with a tgp 3.1L style manifold maybe a little bigger inside so it would flow more since those are bigger motors. That would allow an easy bolt on turbo for most people I would think. I know a couple guys over on w-body might be interested.

here is my email: Spoon93@gmail.com

-Jarek
                        Owner and Founder -Jarek

Comment

Originally posted by Mach 5 View Post
                          I dont think its ever been done before on one of these motors. I believe its been done on the 3500's though. What is needed is a recasting w/ a larger spacing to allow the chain to fit. I think the 3.1 and 3.4 camaro guys have the ability to run these. The other problem I would think could be an issue is belt spacing. Maybe the whole cover can be spaced another 1/2inch out away for the block and a spacer made for the crank pulley to make up for the difference. That would allow all the belt accessories to be in line with each other.. idk if there is a market for them but hey if your willing to make a custom part like this Im willing to pay.

As far as exhaust manifolds go I think a bigger market would be to cast in the 3500 d-port but with a tgp 3.1L style manifold maybe a little bigger inside so it would flow more since those are bigger motors. That would allow an easy bolt on turbo for most people I would think. I know a couple guys over on w-body might be interested.

here is my email: Spoon93@gmail.com

-Jarek
                          WHy not just use a 3500 timing cover on your 3.1 block? if im not mistake it will work i have a 3400 timing cover on ym 3.1 block now

Comment

that might work but then dont you have to modify a couple of things to make everything fit correctly? They have double chains for those motors?? I might just have to do some research into this.
                            Owner and Founder -Jarek

Comment

I started doing some CAD layout work for the 3100 style rear log:

RIP - 94 GP SE
                              DD - 95 GP SE

Comment

Working...
                              X