No announcement yet.

Questions about Turbo Feed and Turbo Return lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooling isn't necessary and in fact I would advise against it until you know how hot your oil gets. Because running the oil too cool is just as bad, it needs to cook off moisture. I just inserted the oil cooler inline of the oil feed to the turbo trying to cool the turbo more. But you don't need to worry about oil cooling right now.

The barbed fitting needs to match the oil return line first. Then match a TAP and Drill Bit to make the threaded passage for the adapter.

Your pan is aluminum, I am 95% sure. So don't over torque the fitting once the the pan is tapped. Just get it nice and snug so it won't come loose easily.

I had to remove the radiator to get a good amount of room to drill and tap the oil pan. Be absolutely sure the new adapter will not interfere with your oil filter or starter. And be sure to drill the hole higher then the normal oil level in the oil pan. The turbo requires gravity to drain and any resistence can cause oil seal problems.
    Last edited by Schmieder; 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks I will remember the good point, knowing me I would had torque and torque and next thing I know the pan gets warped lol. But yea I wasn't thinking when I ordered it because I was getting ready to leave to work. But yea it seems weird though I measured the barb fitting to be about 12 mm outside diameter and then had like 9 mm inside diameter, and the male part of the fitting connecting to the drain line was about an inch which is about 16an, that means I need to find the exact same fitting? I was just planning to go to home depot or lowes to find it on a free day for now. but yea you did say you could send me a picture of where your fitting was right? Cause I am hoping to have something for reference. Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by narutov2 View Post
        Thanks I will remember the good point, knowing me I would had torque and torque and next thing I know the pan gets warped lol. But yea I wasn't thinking when I ordered it because I was getting ready to leave to work. But yea it seems weird though I measured the barb fitting to be about 12 mm outside diameter and then had like 9 mm inside diameter, and the male part of the fitting connecting to the drain line was about an inch which is about 16an, that means I need to find the exact same fitting? I was just planning to go to home depot or lowes to find it on a free day for now. but yea you did say you could send me a picture of where your fitting was right? Cause I am hoping to have something for reference. Thanks man
        Sure thing, I was where you are not too long ago. Its all in the details and good planning. I'll get some pics up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by narutov2 View Post
          Thanks I will remember the good point, knowing me I would had torque and torque and next thing I know the pan gets warped lol.
          Actually, the pan will not warp but the threads you are going to tap will strip right out. The pan is thick enough to TAP but not that thick, so take care when torquing the barbed adapter to the oil pan.

I placed mine and then backed it up a few turns and placed locktite on the threads then tightened again. It helped keep a seal and the locktite helps hold the barbed adapter in place strong. The reason I did it that way is because I wanted to make sure ZERO locktite got into the oil. Some said plumbers tape is just as effective, the oil resistant kind.

If you have an air compressor handy....have a friend blast air into the oil pan while you drill the hole so aluminum shards do not contaminate the oil pan insides. That would be rough on your engine, lol. The air blasts the shards away, just wear safety glasses.
          Last edited by Schmieder; 06-01-2011, 06:51 AM.

Comment

This pic was taken the day after I drilled the pan. You can see my braided stainless line between the starter and the oil filter. It is a tight fit but not too tight.

I suggest bolting up the filter, the starter and other items that need to be in the area. Hold the adapter attached to the return line up to the oil pan and use a perma-marker to mark off where you need to drill. You have ot be accurate here cause if you are too far off, you will ruin the oil pan. Or at least have to patch a hole and try again.

Don't be nervous, just be patient and be sure to measure right. With a level head, you can do it.

I had to wear a bandana on my forhead, I was sweating bullets, lol.

Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            X