"turbo is junk" Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "turbo is junk" Any suggestions?

So I bought a used garret T3T4 .60/.63 stage 3 turbo. Was told it needed a new center section. Upon dissasembly I found that the turbine wheel contacted the housing. Took the turbine/compressor in to have them balanced. The local turbo company told me the turbine and comressors need to be replaced.. quoted me 800 for a complete rebuild. When we all know you can buy a stage 3 garret for 650. Any suggestions on what to do?

I have an ebay T3T4 that is a .50 trim (well, at least it was advertised as one). Though the exhaust is a 5 bolt when I need a 4 bolt flange.

This is to be teamed up with a 3400/3500 with ported top end, 65mm tb, 268/284 seat to seat, 214/230 @ .050, .528/.528 lift, 113 ICL 114 LSA cam.
    You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
    ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
    95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Have the DP fabricated to accept the new flange/bolt pattern. The 5 bolt is far more common, and the best part is you can substitute the Garrett for the ebay unit

The ebay turbo is a to4e 46 trim.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

How well will a 46 trim work on this setup? (This is all loner's stuff if you can't tell :P) His turbo "apparently" is junk. I'm trying to find another local turbo shop to see what they say. When i dissasembled the center section, there was one bushing that was toasted. The turbine was pretty messed up and the compressor has 1 ding on it, which I think the turbo shop did... I didn't see it when I pulled it apart and gave it to them.

If I'm reading the map correct from http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/ at around 5600 is when I will be out of efficency with the 46 trim... which isn't bad. Didn't plan on taking it to 6k very often, but a t04 60 trim would be most ideal.. But I could be reading the charts wrong.
      Last edited by Z26-T; 05-25-2012, 11:05 PM.

Comment

FWIW, the 46 trim(i have an ebay version as well, partially due to John) is an excellent match for an unmodified small port 3100 wanting to run up to stupid amounts of boost. i'm not surprised it runs out a bit soon on a 3400/3500 hybrid.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

So it would have been perfect when I bought it, when I had a stock Z26. That'll teach me to buy a turbo, then build an engine to accept it. Haha.

Comment

Decided to mix-n-match. Took the turbine from my ebay turbo, fixed the compressor wheel from the garret and took them both in to be balanced by a different shop. Got them balanced and re-assembled the ebay turbo with the garret intake housing and compressor. So for now i'll be using the ebay 5 bolt exhaust housing.

Comment

What to use an old turbo on?

1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

If you want to build the starter drive system, i'm all game :P

Comment

I've seen people use leaf blowers to start them.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                  X