he351ve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he351ve

anyone running one? I'm thinking about one on my 3500.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

my opinion? Junk. Not because its a bad turbo, just bad for your application. They were designed for diesel motors . Not to mention they aren't light. They are close to 50 lbs if I am not mistaken. That is a lot of weight to support. I am guessing you are looking at one because they are cheap? Fyi. the exh housings on them are HUGE. Good luck getting it to fit in the engine bay. You will probably have to put the turbo in the trunk. Also the compressor wheel is about 58mm whereas a 35r wheel is 61ish. You were talking like the chinese turbo you have would be too small. Well if indeed it is a 61mm, you are actually going backwards by using a he351. That is why I said you need to measure your current wheel, to know what the next step should be.

Comment

not really for the money, but for the variable geometry, they make a larger version of the same turbo, but they are also harder to find. supporting the weight won't be a problem, I over engineer most of my mounts anyways, but like you say too, the compressor wheel is smaller(a fact that I was unaware of) I just need to quit spending money and run what I've got...
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
        my opinion? Junk. Not because its a bad turbo, just bad for your application. They were designed for diesel motors . Not to mention they aren't light. They are close to 50 lbs if I am not mistaken. That is a lot of weight to support. I am guessing you are looking at one because they are cheap? Fyi. the exh housings on them are HUGE. Good luck getting it to fit in the engine bay. You will probably have to put the turbo in the trunk. Also the compressor wheel is about 58mm whereas a 35r wheel is 61ish. You were talking like the chinese turbo you have would be too small. Well if indeed it is a 61mm, you are actually going backwards by using a he351. That is why I said you need to measure your current wheel, to know what the next step should be.
        You have no idea what you are talking about, I have put HX35's on a LOT of gasoline engines and they work wonderfully. A local friend has a 3.5 i6 with a Holset hx50/55 hybrid and is making 575whp and almost 600wtq.

The problem with the VE series is getting the variable actuator under control.

For a cheap, reliable 500hp turbo, go with the hx35 with a 16cm back housing. You can find cores on fleabay for about $150 and the rebuild kits are cheap too. Just don't make the mistake like we did the first time using one - the stock WG is wayyyy too small. We test drove the car before going to the GRM Challenge, but only up to about 60mph and thought we would only be seeing 15psi and that worked great on the auto-x, but once the car was opened up on the drag strip and the turbo really had room to spool, the head gasket blew and last glance at the boost gauge it was well into the 20's. Helloooooo boost creep haha.

Once we got a 38mm external gate on there, it would regulate at 15psi and made 357whp only being limited by the injector size (36lb/hr). The Holset turbos are comfortable up above 30psi.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

I'm also leaning towards a HX35 for my next turbo. Plenty of upgrades out there from the cummins boys, also fairly easy to find cores or take offs. "I've been told" you can use T3 housings on them also which will makes things hecka easy for myself.
          You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
          ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
          95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

I'm going Holset as well. Most likely I'll usr an HX-35. All I've read on Holset is good so if I feel the 35 is too small I'll move to a 40 or so and stay with Holset.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              I'm going Holset as well. Most likely I'll usr an HX-35. All I've read on Holset is good so if I feel the 35 is too small I'll move to a 40 or so and stay with Holset.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
              You need to start with a 40 or bigger for the TDC.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

This guy had great success with the 351ve and its only on a 3.0 supra motor. imagine what a 3.9 would do to it.

Comment

Haha "only on a 3.0 supra motor".

Those supra engines are legendary . You'd probably crack the block of a 3.9 well below the power a stock 2jz will take.
                  '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

i was referring to ONLY as ONLY 3 litres of displacement. an extra .9 should make it spool quicker. thats all...

has anyone even cracked a block before?

Comment

Working...
                    X