Air to CO2 intercooling!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air to CO2 intercooling!?

Thought I would share this to the Turbo dragstrip guys...

if you read the last post and the posts on the following pages, they hacked up a A2w core and mod'ed it to run CO2 through them and maintained 70* manifold temps! wouldn't do a damn bit of good on the street, but still pretty cool...
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Hmm makes me wonder about running the A/C system through an a/w intercooler...
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

the trick would be controlling the flow through the core so you don't ice up, also, the A/c system is closed loop, so you have to valve it so that you can divert away from the evaporator, and to the intercooler without opening the system, and then there's the issue of programming, because PCM's automatically turn off A/c at WOT. not sure if it would be easy or not to turn that off.

also, lets not forget that the compressor takes power to run, so it has to cool the air enough to make more power than it takes to run the compressor at WOT.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
        the trick would be controlling the flow through the core so you don't ice up,
        If the charge going through it were ambient, I could see that. Considering how hot some air charges get I would think it might be worth at least testing.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The nice thing about running the a/c system through is that the intercooler would never get heat soaked and colder-than-ambient temps should be possible at all times.

Anyone know how much power an a/c compressor takes to drive on average?
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
            No, I'd bet a lot that's too inefficient a method for continuous operation, consider how long a fridge or AC vent takes to bring the temp down from the instant it switches on.....

Possibly for pre-cooling prior to a run, though. But it can pre-cool a water reservoir which in turn pumped into the core chills the charge.
            1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
            Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
            = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

Originally posted by AleroB888 View Post
              No, I'd bet a lot that's too inefficient a method for continuous operation, consider how long a fridge or AC vent takes to bring the temp down from the instant it switches on.....

Possibly for pre-cooling prior to a run, though. But it can pre-cool a water reservoir which in turn pumped into the core chills the charge.
              I bet if you ran R22 or another really BA refigerant through it it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                Mustang guys do that. Google killer chiller.

Comment

I think the early sc lightning do stock too.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Ya I would think that even if the a/c is disabled under wot it would keep the air cold for a bit anyway. And if you've warmed up the car enough for a wot run with the a/c turned on it should be pretty cool.
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

You could always wire up a wot switch like for nitrous to keep the compressor on.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I wonder if the belt would hold it?

Comment

If the belt couldn't hold it then it would probably be taking more power to drive it than it would be worth
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I just started thinking about that, and if it's slipping, it would be taking extreme amounts of power to work...

Comment

I really doubt an ac compressor at wot is going to require more power than it would at idle. The pcm commands it off to give maximum power when wot is needed.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X