MP 90 FWD Project Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP 90 FWD Project Updates

Intercooling efforts are going slower than expected, but meanwhile there are some refinements to report. We got a whole 1/4 inch extra hood clearance, and it has done well for the last few days. I have yet to take a speed bump too fast just to test it, that's not something I'd normally do anyway. More clearance can be had, but this will probably be enough for me. You can see that the unit is moved slightly down and in, rotated more upward to the rear.
    Also went from the 3.0 pulley to a 2.8. Now seeing it peak at 14 psi, with noticably more KR. It's really too cold out now to get any meaningful scans, but the airflow #s are thru the roof even with the Fram paper filter (or who knows maybe because of it lol)

Changed to stock 3.0 idler pulley (edit: after it settled in, had to go to a 3.25 idler) with a 1038K6 belt. Just a bit on the loose side but the 1030K6 belt was too tight. So I could use something in between those. Not that big a deal, just could be better.

The driveshaft mount starts with two 1 inch square aluminum posts with a 10 mm through-hole in each, offset 1/8 inch from center. They are mounted diagonally on two SS 10mm studs on the engine (not like in the pic ). It was necessary to file the header flanges a little at the top to get a flat surface. Height is adjusted by changing the post size. Then shims are added or removed on the cross brace tube mount, and the mounting plate holes redone (new plate must be made for each change). I'll fill in the dimensions and add pics as time allows.

Last edited by AleroB888; 02-12-2013, 11:56 PM.
    1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
    Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

The curved mounting bracket shown was redone out of 1/4 inch steel plate with new mounting hole positions, the plastic coupler with aluminum (but not quite good enough yet).

Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
    = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F

Comment

nice looking setup!

Comment

props on the clean install
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

I just noticed the head of the plenum was chopped off! lol

Brass meth injection ports?

Really slick build, looks like a lot of fun to drive!
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

I have a lot of them plenums. ha might say the place is plenumous. I would say I had a plethora of (somebody stop me, *whack!*)

The brass ports at first were to provide extra routes for a bypass system, but alc injection was always on the table as an option. Right now the plan is to add more cowbell (booooost) and take a shot at a lower E.T before the heat of Summer sets in.

Last edited by AleroB888; 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Boost vs. RPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMs7UVv_N0

Comment

Sweet !!

Comment

Boost comes on quick with the M90!
                  2000 Grand Am GT
                  2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Rolling start to 60 mph runs doesnt take long I wanna see 0 to 100 runs LOL !!! Are you in 3rd gear ?

Comment

are you doing this with an open diff? Because if you are its just a matter of time...

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                        are you doing this with an open diff? Because if you are its just a matter of time...
                        I don't push it like that very often, gotta have some documentation, lol

Usually I start from a faster roll, I wanted to record it from idle in 1st gear. In normal driving 1/2 to 3/4 throttle gets it done. I'm more concerned about the engine now, but yeah, open diff, the clock is ticking. Not to mention mounts, hoses pulling loose from the force, it's great. Haven't had it WOT into 3rd in a long time.

Not to worry, we "know" the paper filter is holding all the power back, right?

Comment

LS1 MAF

Swapped in the LS1 MAF and its calibration table, upgraded to larger filter tubing. First tests felt a little stronger on the street, could have sworn it ran smoother and shifted better, but time will tell.
                          According to the scans, the MAF reading of lb/min maximum increased as expected, but what was not expected is it ran a bit richer at WOT. IDC was up a couple per cent to 93, but the recorded MAF frequency was lower due to the different calibration.
                          If I get another chance at dry 60 degree temps, I'll take it to the track again. Intercooling progress is still behind schedule.

Comment

MAF values are sensitive. I haven't ever found a factory MAF table that was on the money accurate. But then I am very particular about precise fueling.

Better rich then lean
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

MAF effects a lot more than fueling too... it's also paired with cylinder displacement to form the grams/mg per cylinder value used in a LOT of calculations. i would assume a calculated airmass temp is also used to correct that value, but it's effect wouldn't be as significant.
                              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                              Latest nAst1 files here!
                              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X