3400 turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 turbo.

well, after going for a ride in my freinds 290whp evo the other day, Im scraping the roll cage plan for this coming winter and picking up the pace for the turbo setup im working on. I cant figure out how to read maps for the life of me.. well from what I can see on garrets site nothing is in the boost range im thinking about running so im not sure if it really even matters too much as long as the turbo isnt too small

the plan - keep my current 3400/3500 10.5:1 cammed engine but regap the rings for boost. start with 3psi and see where it goes from there. Im thinking no more than 5 on this engine. pump gas. when the engine goes, maybe 10psi on a "stock" 3400. I have been cleaning up my engine bay and making room for the past year.

everybody seems to love the gt35 but I dont think I will need a turbo that big. I would like to buy one while I have tax returns, then i cant back out.

I want boost to kick in at about 3000-3500, power kept in the upper rpm range till 7k max

external waste gate only.

yes most people might consider this pointless with such little boost, gotta start somewhere. Im fairly new to boost and this is also a learning tool. the current setup puts out 220ish whp (final dyno tune on the 23rd for offical #s if I get my charging issue sorted out)

any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, flaming, etc is welcome
    sigpic
    88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

a gt3076 would work well. 57mm.

Would spool right now and they map out OK on a 3400.. I'd love to get one in my Fiero one day.
    11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
    10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

well I want something with a little "lag" thinking it will help with traction.

I wont over rev that turbo?
      sigpic

Comment

http://usedturbos.net/Catalog/450-60...rbo-575HP.html really no details on that.. who knows if its water cooled.. or what the map looks like (not that I can really read them lol)

ive seen your turbo threads, mind explaining the maps a little? or at least how to read them for these engines. garretts website and maximum boost kind of failed to help me understand them
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alxsmt View Post
          yes most people might consider this pointless with such little boost, gotta start somewhere.
          3-5 isn't pointless. If you could get (big if) 1 psi out of a ram air setup, it's still positive pressure you couldn't get otherwise.

10:1 isn't too high for boost by today's standards. Look at Joseph's build. I think he's around 12:1 on boost.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Boost is addicting...

And so is nitrous... LOL

Personally I think it would be cooler to make more power N/A but that's just me... It's something I've been contemplating for a while now... I have really been leaning toward a different cam and a change in pistons to bump compression and then back off on the nitrous spray some, or hell leave it the same and put down some 11's LOL I think this year project funds are tied up in the direct port and the cam and such may have to wait till next year.
            Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

no need for a $1100 turbo like a 3076 especially with your plans for low boost. Get something with a newer design like a billet wheel in a journal bearing. it will still spool quickly and cost less money.

Look into a billet 54 or a billet 57 since you plan to keep the boost low which will be lower power output. No need for a larger wheel if you don't plan to run more boost. The 57 will make 550 hp no problem which is more than your plans anyways but it will give you some room to grow if you want.

Comment

3psi, 12 psi it all rests on the tune. A bad tune can destroy a 3 psi turbo and a good tune can push up to 10-12 psi on stock internals (though that's pushing it).
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

yes, hp in general is lol. you cant ever get enough..

my pistons are also NA pistons, I talked to JE and they are thinner than pistons built for boost. still better than stock? who knows. the tune will be professionally done.

is the billet 57 made by percision? http://realstreetperformance.com/sto...ring-2268.html

I have no issue paying for a high quality turbo, I dont want something that will fall apart and end up in my engine..
                  Last edited by Alxsmt; 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just use a cummins VG turbo and run a smaller spring in the oil chamber, then you can have a tiny turbo that turns into a monster trim with the flick of the pedal as oil pressure rises inside your turbo cooling circuit

Comment

Cummins turbos are made by Holset, and they make good turbos, but they are journal bearing, not ball bearing.

If you didn't get a variable vane style like the VG series, you can get a brand new HX-35 or larger on eBay for around $250. They aren't always listed so you may have to wait a week and search again.

I'm going with a Holset when I boost my car.

Last edited by pocket-rocket; 03-16-2013, 10:17 AM.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

The VG "variable geometry" turbo is sweet as F, the ability to tune the turbo blade switching valve and combined ability of low end small turbo no lag followed by high end big turbo supra like fun, lol w none of the lag, idk how you could go wrong except for the cost on the VGT

Comment

I saw a DSM guy on a forum that was messing with them a while back. He got it cheap off of eBay. Paid like $2-300. The last time I looked at them there they were closing in in the $1k mark...

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

if you are poor, then get a holset. if you want a turbo that will make good power, and doesn't weigh 35 lbs, then get the precision billet turbo. The VGT of a holset is not necessary if you properly size your turbo comp wheel and exh a/r. Besides I haven't seen one person on this site get the VGT to work like factory when installed in their cars which makes it pointless to get it solely for that feature. And remember the holset is 35 lbs. Not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
                              if you are poor, then get a holset. if you want a turbo that will make good power, and doesn't weigh 35 lbs, then get the precision billet turbo. The VGT of a holset is not necessary if you properly size your turbo comp wheel and exh a/r. Besides I haven't seen one person on this site get the VGT to work like factory when installed in their cars which makes it pointless to get it solely for that feature. And remember the holset is 35 lbs. Not worth it.
                              or buy a holset thats made to last alot longer than a precision turbo, and still make more power with the cheaper turbo, take that money u saved, buy some beer and get to wrenching and fabbing.
                              [SIGPIC]
                              12.268@117... 11's to come!
                              turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                              ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Working...
                              X