Rotrex centrifugal 3400 setup questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Rotrex centrifugal 3400 setup questions

I am putting together parts for my centrifugal supercharger 3400 project. I have some questions about adding forced induction to an NA engine.

1. Pull-through or blow-through MAF sensor? The technical handbook for my charger recommends a pull-through configuration with a min. of 6" of unobstructed charge pipe either side. What are others running and what are the pros and cons of each setup?

2. Bypass valve, again, the handbook recommends that the bypass discharge be routed back in front of the blower after the MAF so it doesn't affect the sensors reading. I see a lot of people venting their bypass to atmosphere. What are the pros and cons of each setup?

3. Does the Fiero brake vacuum assist have a one way valve on it from the factory? I noticed on the firewall there is a plastic peice attached to the line, it resembles an inline fuel filter in shape. Is that a one way valve?

4. Where is the best location for the inlet air temp. sensor?

5. Some of my vacuum lines will need one-way valves installed. Where can I purchase these online?

6. Where are people mounting their heat exchangers for the a2w intercooler? My first idea was along the front of the cradle. I know there is less airflow there then the front but I think it should be enough for the exchanger.

1: most oems run draw through as not to overheat the hotwire sensor or burst the housing under pressure. But if you know your after cooler temps won't go high like 150*f+ then run it post after cooler. Our housings seam strong enough. If your having tip in issues because you have long distance between the maf and the throttle body like more than 6 feet then run Maf after the after cooler. Its a trial and error on you part. Have that wideband handy.

2: if you have the maf pre charger then that's a bad idea. It will read all that escape air and dump that excessive fuel in you engineruning rich. Post after cooler maf then you might get away with it dumping to atmosphere IF the discharger hose is before the MAF.
    3: have no idea about that . But most vacuumed brake boosters have the check valve on the booster. Round plastic the vacuum hose connects to. If in doubt gut one from the parts stores that are inline that splices in the hose.
    4: temp sensor is always best on the intake manifold or after the charge air cooler.
    5: check parts stores like Napa. Ask them for their vacuum valves books. They usually have them on the front desk. Or check eBay.
    5: Oyo.
    88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Can't help with those questions, as I don't know much about OBD2.... but :

If you go with a C30-94 that will be the ticket on a Fiero. Had one in my 3400 Cavalier, and the way it makes top end power will allow traction at lower RPM and then just pull like mad on top. Would be a cool feeling in a mid-engine car for sure as it will try to break the tires loose on a roll-on.

edit : you might want to run no intercooler and meth inj. alone, see if that cools the charge enough... intercooler on a Fiero, even a liquid to air, is a hell of alot of plumbing.
      11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
      10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

I run blow-through. If you go blow-through, put the BOV before the MAF. If you put the MAF before the SC, then you need to plumb the BOV discharge to after the MAF.

IAT sensor works well post intercooler in the piping or intake. Intake will heat soak, but piping won't be as hot as what's actually going into the cylinders.

Supra PCV valves make good check valves and are dirt cheap at an auto parts store.

Tim
        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

[QUOTE=timg;462589 If you go If you put the MAF before the SC, then you need to plumb the BOV discharge to after the MAF.

Supra PCV valves make good check valves and are dirt cheap at an auto parts stor
          Tim[/QUOTE]
          That is what I planned to do, I just need to make sure it is not to far from the intake.
          If i go with meth, like mars suggested, this will cut down on some plumbing.

Any idea what year range of Supra?

Comment

Meth injection is a great, easy way to keep your intake charge cool. Just make sure that you keep the tank full. Makes for a bad day when it runs dry or freezes because it's too lean of a mixture.
            You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
            ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
            95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Purolater PV1009 from a 97 TT Supra. It's not direct plug and play, but will take regular hoses on either end.

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Working...
              X