Turbo oil line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo oil line

what are you guys doing for your oil feed to the turbo? is the plugged port above the oil filter suitable for the feed? I was thinking I would unplug it, and just use a length of braided stainless. it looks like 3/8" NPT, is it?
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

its 1/8th npt

5 weeks left

Comment

Hmm I think it is 1/4" NPT; I'm using a braided line off the plugged port by the oil filter for feed; I installed my oil pressure sending unit in the stock 3500 location.

I went with -3 braided stainless because that's what was recommended for my turbo. Some say they need either -3 or -4 with a restrictor in it. Best to find out which size is recommended for your turbo.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Make sure you get high pressure braided line with PFTE? lining in it. Not the regular rubber lining.
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
          its 1/8th npt
          brain fart... outside of the threads looked like 3/8" there's a bracket in the way so I couldn't get a good look. I took the bracket off and got a good measure, looks like 1/4" as caffeine said, as the outside of the threads measure approx 1/2". I too am using the stock 3500 oil sender location.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Could use an oil filter sandwich adapter. No drill/tap needed. Just slip between filter and block and can route oil feed, oil sensors and some have return lines to fit an oil cooler.
            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

there's already a drilled and tapped port on the side of the block, if you look at the oil filter, it's at about 10-11 o'clock. I've ordered -4 for the feed, and -12 for the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                there's already a drilled and tapped port on the side of the block, if you look at the oil filter, it's at about 10-11 o'clock. I've ordered -4 for the feed, and -12 for the drain.
                Good sizes, -4 and -12. Turbo oil drain, that's something you could put extra work into it and actually pays off. Anything to make the drain graduated just right always helps. If you decide to put a vacuum pump into the crankcase, the vacuum will travel up the drain line into the turbo housing. Probably good for the oil ring seal but it might be worth checking into.
                1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

that's what I'm hoping for.

Comment

3 weeks to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcheese View Post
                      3 weeks to go.
                      and for his next trick, he'll tell me something I don't know!

Comment

i used the little square drive 1/4 pipe plug above the oil filter.

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                          and for his next trick, he'll tell me something I don't know!
                          How about, half of the sailors you cruise with won't tell as long as you don't ask......lol

Comment

Working...
                          X