3.1 lg5 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 lg5 question

how much boost does the 3.1 turbo get stock?
    Firebird: The beta version
    sigpic

~7PSI
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

without changing the turbo, or doing major porting, is there a way to bump up the psi a little?
      sigpic

Comment

you could run up to 14PSI if you wanted to, but the little T25 is making more heat than boost at that point.

you'll also run out of injector much beyond where you are now.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

i dont know jack about turbo setups, how do you increase the boost?
          sigpic

Comment

tune. boost is entirely controlled by the ECM acting upon a wastegate solenoid. boost level goes too far above what the ECM is commanding and it will cut off all fuel.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

ohh okay, cool. how stable would 10psi be on the LH0? and roughly how much more torque would it have?
              sigpic

Comment

the Top Gun chip kicks it up to 10 PSI, lots of people run it that way. Not sure on power but 3 PSI typically would be 20-30 HP, results could be skewed by tons of other factors though.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

If you have an LG5 probably one of the best/easiest upgrades would be a GT28 as the GT25 is way too small for that motor. GT28 is still probably too small but it should bolt to the stock y-pipe.
                  '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

small turbos spool up quicker though right? 10psi is the highest i would want to go on the motor, i hear the bottom end isnt the strongest
                    sigpic

Comment

If a turbo is too small it will choke the motor. A Gt30 might even be considered too small so think how small a GT25 is.. It's more like a 4-cylinder turbo and even then a lot of guys will upgrade from a stock GT25 to a GT28.
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

so even if its 10 psi, it would basically be alot of back pressure in the exhaust?
                        sigpic

Comment

It might spool instantly but then at higher rpm a small turbo will max out and will prevent you from making more power. Also if you try to run a lot of boost to compensate you will just end up creating a ton of heat in the intake.
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

...well that sucks :/, i was thinking of having a pontiac 6000 ste as a dd. all wheel with the 3.1 turbo, a little extra boost would have made me actually like getting groceries XD though stock those motors are pretty mean.

edit: stock lg5 that is
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd still do it. Not a STI but sure makes it fun to drive. This turbo was desighed around the low rpm 3.1. So you don't need to rev the piss out of it. It make a mean torque motor.
                              88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Working...
                              X