T25 turbo on a 3100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : T25 turbo on a 3100?

ok ive been reading on here that many have done 3100 turbo setups on stock internals, i wanna do the same. With that said, i know i need a custom down pipe, flange, oil cooler lines, piping and intercooler, im looking to make 5-6psi. I want a little more power. My car has already had its intakes manifolds and heads ported, tranny oil coolers (I have 2). My buddy is giving me his t25 turbo of his eclipse with a manifold, keeping the turbo and cutting off the flange to weld on my 3100 cross over pipe. is this a good starter turbo, and am I headed in the right direction? any advise

I know a tune will be needed, maybe a boost friendly map sensor, turbo comes with a waste gate, so I know I need a blow off valve, maybe bigger injectors, possibly bigger fuel pump, wanna turbo and cam it out, should I cam first or just turbo the car and then cam.

Comment

If you are looking at just getting your feet wet to messing around with turbocharging your engine, then I say go for it. If you are looking to do it once and done, I suggest starting with at least a t28 or even something t3 series.

How much more power to the wheels are your goals trying to achieve?
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

the car comes with 170 hp stock, havent tuned it since I ported the intakes and heads and upgraded my exhaust to 2-1/4" piping and a throttle body from a 3400 and a fuel pressure regulator of a 3400 and a cold air intake. I may be closer to 185hp, just taking a guess. 220 hp would be nice to start at the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjoseloza88 View Post
          the car comes with 170 hp stock, havent tuned it since I ported the intakes and heads and upgraded my exhaust to 2-1/4" piping and a throttle body from a 3400 and a fuel pressure regulator of a 3400 and a cold air intake. I may be closer to 185hp, just taking a guess. 220 hp would be nice to start at the wheels.
          3100 and 3400 FPRs are the same, for a given year. There was a change in 2000 however where both the 3100 and 3400 had the base fuel pressure raised from 44.5 to 55 PSIG.

Comment

My 2.0 sr20det made 240whp at 12psi with a t28. As 1988GTU said, you may want to look into something a little bigger. A t25 will be more of an obstruction than a power adder, I would think.

I have a Toyota CT26 from a 7mgte that I am going to add later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The tgp's used a T25,it was a bit undersized for the 3.1 and wouldn't be ideal for a much better breathing/more efficient 3100.
              The T28 is what tgp guys generally upgrade to,or hybrid thier T25 to a T28.
              If you're just looking for <10psi and quick streetable spool though a T25 might be fine,it was good for 205hp stock on the tgp's iirc
              And if you're going budget than a used T25 sounds like a perfect fit lol.
              Not a turbo guy lol,but i've got a tgp in my parts car stable and have read quite a bit about them.

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about that. A t25 on a 3.1 would damn near be spooling at idle. Lol.

I think you would see quite a bit of power difference in the low and mid range power but up top will probably suffer.

I've only had 1 turbo car and could be wrong as well.

Comment

I personally wouldn't go any smaller than a GT30 size turbo
                  '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Isis has decent quality gt30x turbos for budget builds

Comment

This is kind of an old thread and probably no longer relavent to the OP, but I figured I'd chime in and clarify some things for the benefit of future searchers.

The DSM (Eclipse/Talon) T25 is much smaller than the even the TGP T25, especially on the hot side.
                      I have both, and it's a laugable difference. The DSM T25 is arguably too small for even the stock 2.0. It works just okay at stock power levels (210hp) but starts falling off early in the powerband. It's sized for quick spool for decent low end torque and not much else. I always felt that it would be more at home on a 1.5 liter with its tiny turbine side.
                      Don't get me wrong, it can be pushed to the ragged edge on a stock 2.0 with supporting mods and actually make a bit of power for a short time ( at one point, if not still today, I held the stock T25 full weight AWD 1/4 mile record, a 13.1@103mph), but that's a short lived proposition due to seriously overspinning the turbo, yet it still falls way short at higher revs on even the 2.0.

Moral of the story, it would spool instantly while choking down a 3100 but it would die a quick death if it was pushed anywhere beyond very lightly.

A TGP T25 on the stock TGP 3.1 follows closely the above description of the smaller T25 on the smaller engine. In other words, that isn't worth touching either.
                      As a minimum, go with a T3 frame turbo with moderate size housings and wheels. That'll just be getting started on a 3100.

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
                      '10 Camaro LT/RS
                      The rest of my cars are for sale (Click here)
                      There's no replacement for turbo placement

Comment

I'm selling my turbo set up from my 3100, so it will bolt right up. I was running between 9 and 13 psi. Here's the link if youre interested. http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...S-Turbo-set-up

Comment

Would 2 t25s work on a 3100

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X