No announcement yet.

WTB: Perf stuff for a Malibu LS (3100)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Perf stuff for a Malibu LS (3100)

So I have been looking for some little performance things for my Malibu, I don't want a street rod or anything, just a little something to make it a little more fun.

Mainly, I'm looking for maybe cams, cheap fuel system (maybe) CAI, exhaust, and a way to convert it to four wheel perf disc brakes (vented and slotted?), because I hate the brakes it has with a passion.

I just got this car about 3 months ago, so I'm really new to this, I used to mod and race a Saturn before it was totaled by a Dodge Neon.. I was almost turboed too...

Anyhow, any help people could give me in tracking this stuff down, will be greatly appreciated!

i have a ported 3400 uim for sale. If you have a large port 3100 it will work for you. Im asking $120 plus shipping.
    Lots of mods cost lots of $$
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2598719/1

Comment

ive got a pair of 3400 heads and lower intake for sale. In the chicago area as well.
      2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Comment

well there we go, full top end swap on the 3100.

Comment

Check the store here for cams, throttle bodies, other ported stuff, etc. What year is your car?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

It's an '01.

The 3400 heads swap? Does anyone have something I could read up on about that?

Comment

You already have the '3400 top" on yours. In 2000 GM put the larger port manifolds on the 3100, and the 1.76" intake valve heads. Your only options to upgrade are to port them, or go with a 3500 upper intake ported with the ported lower.

Search this site for information, there is plenty here.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I wish there was just a how to section like the Saturn people make XD lol.
                I've been looking all morning, looks like it's raining all day, so I don't have to go to work

So, with this engine, no need for a head swap? just the UIM?

From what I was thinking, I need more air! When I have 3600RPMs it pulls hard, then at like 4800 it runs out of breath. And there's absolutely nothing under 2k rpms.

like I was telling a friend, 0-60 takes about 9 seconds, but 45-90 takes about 3.5. lol

Is the cold air intake for sale here worth the $189? I know on my friend's tiburon, the difference was amazing, but on my saturn, it was just a little more oomph.
                Also, my goal is to spend less then 500 on this car, mostly because I'm going to buy a fox body mustang soon, and figure I should put away for that..

Just want some fun stuff.
                Last edited by axe9; 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Saturn owners probably have more ambition than the 60V6 owners when it comes to making a kick ass site.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

That, and Saturn people are usually geeky copmuter guys. lol.

The GM3100 isn't the same as the 3.1 right? I know the displacement is the same, but is it the same engine? I thought they were different for some reason.
                    Last edited by axe9; 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM.

Comment

you are right they are different.

Comment

Hey, doing some research, and it looks like the DOHC LQ1 3.4 from a lumina LS/LTZ is a pretty easy swap. anyone here done it, or know anything about it?
                        Looks like a little more performance stuff, more reliability, and about 40+ more horses then the 3100, and 225lb/ft torque is awesome.

Comment

I love the motor, but i dunno what research you did. Less aftermarket, less reliability in regards to needing more maintenance and the alt is in a very bad spot.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Oh okay.. mechanic friend of mine suggested it, and I saw more HP and got giddy.

Comment

I have a lot of DOHC cars. In fact, I don't have a pushrod car anymore. If you want to tinker with a motor and not have much support for aftermarket, its awesome. Gas milage isn't so great compared to pushrod and you have 24 of everything instead of 12 so it costs more to upgrade/modify as well. It also doesn't like the auto trans cause of the higher RPM powerband. I have worked on them enough to know that most people won't like it. It has a bad reputation because its a timing belt setup, and the cams aren't keyed. That means you can degree the cams however you want.

Your 3100 has potential and will probably treat you a lot better. Besides, swapping the DOHC in may not even be possible without cutting/welding.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X