No announcement yet.

Help! Need 3.4 5spd shifter cable ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Need 3.4 5spd shifter cable ASAP!

I was driving off post yesterday sitting in traffice and heard a grinding sound. The next thing I know my car is stuck in reverse. Today I found out that the cable is broken. The dealer said there are no more in the U.S. dealer or aftermarket.

I am 6 hours from home working and do not know what to do. I desperately need to find the cable. Will a cable from another car work? I have a 92 Lumina Z34 5-speed with the Getrag 284.

Thanks,

Tom

Is the end broken? Might be able to temp attach it some how...

I know how you feel... I'm trying to get cables for a 92-93 282 getrag... I have duct tape holding them to the shifter right now........ yeah sucks.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

http://www.push-pull.com/ contact them, I know they have made 284 shift cables before.

Which cable broke? select or shift?
      -Chris

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 3.4L TDC Getrag 284
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L v6 Hydramatic 4T60
      1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 3.8L v6, Hydramatic 4T60E
      1987 Chevrolet Camaro 5.0L v8, Hydramatic 700R4

Comment

I am not sure which cable, but they told me the GM part number was 10192247.

I looked and it appears that the ends of both cables are still attached on the shifter side. I think there is a problem on the transmission side.

When it broke, the shifter moves forward-backward, but will not move side to side. And, it was stuck in reverse?...even though I was going forward. I can go backwards fine, but no forward gears.

Tom

Comment

I think Barry contacted push-pull about 282 cables and I don't think he has heard back from them. It may not have been them, but they were one of the names mentioned in a custom shift cable thread.
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Dorman now has the ends for Neons, Pt crusiers. The cable look the same also. I have not been able to check them side by but they look to be the same. You may be able to get a store to dealer to let you see one or buy and compare them and then return them. Something to look into, worst case is they can be modified.
            Dan
            http://www.zrracing.com/
            [/url]http://www.youtube.com/user/zrracing4
            sigpic

Comment

it sounds like the select cable broke. I'll check my parts book later on and see what one your part number is for sure. But i would def call the folks at push-pull and see what they can do for you.
              -Chris

Comment

According to the dealer, the shift cable split in half. He advised me to replace both cables at once.

I ordered both the shift and select cables from Pull-Part.com. It was a little over 200 bucks plus shipping for both of them.

The guy said they have brass bushings in them?

Lately, especially when it is cold, and I put my tranny in gear you can literally feel something like the gear teeth when I put it in gear. Then, after it warms up it gets better. I am wondering if that had anything to do with the cable splitting or stretching.

Tom

Comment

You might want to change the oil with fresh synchromesh. that might help the cold issue.
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Even with fresh syncromesh my 284 is a bitch till it gets up to operating temp on real cold days.
                    -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by White93z34 View Post
                      Even with fresh syncromesh my 284 is a bitch till it gets up to operating temp on real cold days.

Also the accumulator in the stock setup doesn't help any. Mines coming out this summer in the 92. It's been out in the 91 for quite a long time and it felt better after removing it.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                      X