3400 Head Bolt (see picture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 3400 Head Bolt (see picture)

I am looking for the head bolt that comes with a set that most of you do not use. It has an odd top where the dogbone motor mount sits for some W bodies. If anyone has a new one I would love to get it. I dont want to buy a whole set just for this one. I am studding my motor but cant use a stud for this location due to the fact that I need the top part for my motor mount. Please see attached and thank you.
    Attached Files

can you take a pic. I don't recall using that for my old pushrod w body setup and you might be able to use a different mount?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      can you take a pic. I don't recall using that for my old pushrod w body setup and you might be able to use a different mount?
      I am at work now but the attached is an exploded view of the mounting system I have. The circled #8 mount sits on top of the odd headbolt right through the two wings where the dogbones mount on the passenger side of the motor.
      Attached Files

Comment

i can check my box of parts from when i changed motors for one tomorrow. i should have one like that since my motor came out of a w-body.
        sigpic
        99 Grand Am GT
        3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
        Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
        1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
        515 515 lift 112 lsa
        15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

I believe they are still available from the dealer. I did the heads on a 60degree that used the head bolt with the female threads in the top of it. Fel Pro gave me the male stud bolt but I had to go to the dealer to get the other one seperately. Most of the time, the pricing is quite reasonable for special fasteners.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

if you buy the headbolts kit from a 1997-98 venture van you will get this bolt in the kit.
            Mike 60degree addict.
            Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
            sigpic
            65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Thank you
              Originally posted by geldartb View Post
              i can check my box of parts from when i changed motors for one tomorrow. i should have one like that since my motor came out of a w-body.
              Originally posted by mickaz View Post
              if you buy the headbolts kit from a 1997-98 venture van you will get this bolt in the kit.
              Trying to get away from having to buy a whole set just for one bolt.

Comment

I may have one as well, but my bolts are all used... And its not recommended to re-use bolts. Just remember these only cost about 30 for a full new kit... so if your re-using ones to begin with you may want to just change the whole set.

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I am studding the heads with ARP studs but have to use this particular bolt due to my top motor mounts. Thank you

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                  I may have one as well, but my bolts are all used... And its not recommended to re-use bolts. Just remember these only cost about 30 for a full new kit... so if your re-using ones to begin with you may want to just change the whole set.

Comment

Wait a min, your going to use all studs but this one bolt?

You might want to rethink this since your clamping load will not be the same on that one corner... BAD IDEA.

May want to get piece of hex stock, cut it to the proper length then drill/tap one side as 7/16-20 for the ARP bolt, and then turn the other side to fit the mount hole.

Got Lope?
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                      Wait a min, your going to use all studs but this one bolt?

You might want to rethink this since your clamping load will not be the same on that one corner... BAD IDEA.

May want to get piece of hex stock, cut it to the proper length then drill/tap one side as 7/16-20 for the ARP bolt, and then turn the other side to fit the mount hole.
                      Well that was the plan but I guess you are right, not a good idea, huh?. I need the extra length on that bolt for the mount to sit on. Where would I get hex stock to be used as a head bolt? I too have a 3400 block bored 0.030 using a complete 3500 top that will see boost. I appreciate you helping with this.

Comment

No I mean use ARP studs, and then get a section of hex stock to thread on to the top of the head stud once it's installed, obviously you will have to drill and tap it for that, and turn the other end to fit in the bracket. I have a machine shop at my disposal so I don't let things like this bother me, they can throw stuff together like this really quick as long as I have a sketch or print for them to follow.

Got Lope?

Comment

I've never heard anyone having problems using a bolt in one location, with studs in the rest.

I only have used versions of those bolts. FWIW, I installed used head bolts on my Franken60 and ran it, or rather abused the hell out of it for over 2 years. When I finally pulled my heads the head gaskets showed perfect clamping.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                            I've never heard anyone having problems using a bolt in one location, with studs in the rest.

I only have used versions of those bolts. FWIW, I installed used head bolts on my Franken60 and ran it, or rather abused the hell out of it for over 2 years. When I finally pulled my heads the head gaskets showed perfect clamping.
                            If this is true, then why bother buying head studs at all then. Your mixing two types of torquing procedures a torque yield setup vs a static torque # are you forgetting he wants to use one stock stretch bolt with non stretching ARP studs?

Got Lope?

Comment

Originally posted by boscov6 View Post
                              Well that was the plan but I guess you are right, not a good idea, huh?. I need the extra length on that bolt for the mount to sit on. Where would I get hex stock to be used as a head bolt? I too have a 3400 block bored 0.030 using a complete 3500 top that will see boost. I appreciate you helping with this.
                              What he means is to have the hex stock basically turned into a nut in a round about way, then have the one end turned down round to fit the engine mount bracket hole, that way you can still use a stud in that location- you just won't use an ARP nut in that spot.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X