W-body Trailing Arms W/poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W-body Trailing Arms W/poly

I Have A Set Of Stock Trailing Arms That I Had Custom Made Poly Bushing Made For. They Cost Me Around $50 Just For The Bushings.
    I Will Shoot Up Some Pics Soon.
    $50 Shipped

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

can your guy make stock front poly control arm bushings?

if so lmk.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Originally posted by dohcfiend View Post
      can your guy make stock front poly control arm bushings?

if so lmk.
      word

Comment

Yeah anythings possible with anough money. The poly is expensive and the maching is going to be some money. Probably around $200, but then it will be more things we can sell for the w-body

Comment

If I can get like 10 people then I can get them made. I will start designing them.

Comment

out of curiousity, how much would it be if i wanted a one-off set for myself?

Comment

Well its about 100 for the poly and what ever for the machining

Comment

damn...so how come you can buy the energy suspension bushings that are what, $30 for a set of two, including brackets? And they have just as much poly that would be required for the control arm bushings.

Comment

ROFL! Cheaper to get them from RSM! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Because energy suspension mass produces them, therefore the price will be much cheaper than just a single run.
                    -Brad-
                    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                    sigpic
                    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i was thinking that too. $100+!?!. didn't get a whole estimate but for now based on some other numbers above i will say around $250-$300 would be a closer ballpark. it is high for my taste for the moment, but at least there is something available if i feel the urge.

but.... now that i have something to go off of for a comparison, i can perhaps talk to some larger companies and see what their estimates are vs d.o.h.c.'s estimate.

unfortunately, i have some other projects going on for the moment, so this will have to wait until something get's completed.

things usually do cost more for a 1st time R&D run. i know for certain that i could probably beat that price but the would the amount i save be worth my time spent finding it?

that leaves me with my last question for the moment. if i do pay for a single run for myself, do i get the cad files and stuff needed to cnc the bushings?

Comment

Poly bushings are usually made in a molding process. The issue is, someone has to invest in having a mold made. Over time you have to recover the cost of the mold. The cost of poly bushings can be pretty cheap depending on the mold. The more cavities that a mold has, the cheaper the production costs are. I have some poly bushings made in a four cavity compression mold and my cost is $8 per bushing. The same part from a single cavity mold would probably cost around $20 each. A molding machine with a single cavity mold has to be cycled four times to get the same production as one with a four cavity mold. Of course, the price of the mold increases as you add more cavities.

Poly bushings also need to be greased regularly. Poly is a step up from rubber but materials like teflon impregnated nylon offer less flex. Nylon has its drawbacks as it requires a perfect axis of rotation or it will bind. Heim joints are the ultimate connection as they provide almost zero flex and can rotate easily on a misaligned axis.

Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams offers some good info on this and many other topics.
                        MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                        '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                        http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                        http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Can the right CNC machine cut poly?
                          I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Originally posted by Juglenaut View Post
                            Can the right CNC machine cut poly?
                            You can machine harder (80+ durometer) poly with extremely sharp cutting tools. Softer materials need to be frozen first using something like liquid nitrogen.
                            MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                            '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                            http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                            http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

oh, it's molded? well damn.

Comment

Working...
                              X