'97+ OBD-II PCM in a 1996 Monte Carlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97+ OBD-II PCM in a 1996 Monte Carlo

I have a 1996 Monte LS with the GM3100. It's OBD-II, but has the PCM with the OS/ID ending in 1539, meaning it's the old 256k memory module type and cannot hold the required information for a DHP PT. I recently bought a '97+ DHP PCM, and have attempted an install. The wiring harnesses attached fine, but I'm about 90% positive the pin-outs are wrong.

Here's why:
    As soon as I reconnected the battery, the high-speed fan turned on. I turned the key to crank the engine. It attempted, but never fired. Starter cranked nicely. Engine just said, "Nope, you lose."

At first, I thought I required a Passkey-II relearn, but the security light turns off after five seconds, instead of remaining on for the required 11 minutes to do the relearn procedure.

Now, in order to fix my pin-out problem, I need both the wiring diagrams for the '96 PCM as well as the wiring diagram for a '97+ PCM. I looked through the haynes manual, but they lumped '96 in with the '97-'99 model years, which is entirely inaccurate, because the "Blue" wiring connector is "upside down" in comparison to the '96 PCM.

Can anyone help me by supplying said wiring diagrams? Or if there's a problem I'm just not catching... what else would cause the high-speed cooling fan (the one on the driver's side.) to turn on and never disengage? Or am I just looking at having to remove and relocate pins?

Spend $35 and get an AllData account for both vehicles.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Well - I've found wiring diagrams. And have found that the conversion for the '96 3100 PCM to a '97+ PCM is not worth nearly the time or money required. I'm just going to do a 3400 swap, reflash the PCM with 3400 data, and install it from there. It'll be cheaper, easier, and good for some extra horses.

The pin-outs are actually fairly drastically different. Which makes no sense to me, but whatever, to each his/her own. Besides, a 3400 swap was in my future anyway.

Comment

Working...
      X