No announcement yet.

How to wire in my data link plug for scan tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The light will probably be on, depends on several factors. Simple key on engine off faults can be emulated with grounds and resistors to prevent circuit fault codes. Dynamic or key on engine running codes may be something else and could only be eliminated with a custom ROM that disables that particular self test routine. For now, regardless of reported faults we are just trying to re-establish the ECM's self diagnostic capabilities and restore external communications. Hell, if you have a spare side marker socket handy and an amber 194 bulb, that would do. A bit bright but it would be free and you likely have them from when you drained the plastic out of the body.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

From the PCM diagram (attached) I'm assuming the PCM pin "B7" sends a ground signal to the check engine light?.... which means I should run power to one side of my light and a lead to "B7" to complete the check engine circuit? Here are some PICS also....thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RVChaser View Post
        The car runs fine......just want the scanner to work if/when problems arise. I have fused and wired in all the power circuits....does the PCM case need to be grounded?
        NO! Don't ground the case! lol If you ground the case and some day a ground goes bad, the starter just might decide to get it's ground through your PCM and fry it. That's why they are mounted on/in plastic from the factory.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yes, a power source that is present in both key on and start positions. The broadcast code is BKWW, I don't have my guide handy to decode it at the moment.

Comment

The broadcast code is BKWW................I have no clue what that means....I'm a "Greenhorn" when it comes to this stuff...

Comment

The broadcast code refers to the vehicle specific programming part of the ECM. Every combination from manual to automatic, power accessories or not, ABS and what system, etc. etc. etc. They each have a unique broadcast code. This is because it would be silly to make a unique computer for each application when one chassis can serve many platforms through type programming using a rewritable core or replaceable chip.

Comment

My first thought is that is an OBD-1.5 PCM. With the scanner he is using work on an OBD-1.5 PCM? Need to make sure the scanner is compatible, otherwise you'll be chasing your tail trying to get something to work that never will.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

How will I be able to tell? So far I have surely been going round and round......

Comment

FWIW: the "1.5" PCMs(meaning FLASH PROMs yet use OBD1 communication protocalls) are the 93-95 3100 that are speed-density, the 93-95 3.4 iron head, the 94-95 LT1, possibly the 95 only 3800 f-bodies, i think all of the saturn models and maybe a few others... the only pre-96 vehicles that don't communicate the way OBD1 does is the 95 only(i think!) 4.3 as used in S/T trucks, those are "blackbox" VCMs, technically, they're fully OBD2 compliant.

but a lot of that is kinda worthless information for this situation...
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                      FWIW: the "1.5" PCMs(meaning FLASH PROMs yet use OBD1 communication protocalls) are the 93-95 3100 that are speed-density, the 93-95 3.4 iron head, the 94-95 LT1, possibly the 95 only 3800 f-bodies, i think all of the saturn models and maybe a few others... the only pre-96 vehicles that don't communicate the way OBD1 does is the 95 only(i think!) 4.3 as used in S/T trucks, those are "blackbox" VCMs, technically, they're fully OBD2 compliant.

but a lot of that is kinda worthless information for this situation...
                      I know someone with an Olds 88 Royal, about a 95 or 96, it's OBD1.5 with a 3800. One more GM vehicle for your list. I can find out the actual year if you like.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

well, if it's a 96, it would have been OBD2 from the factory, no ifs ands or buts about it...

and AFAIK, all of the 94-95 3800 PCMs, with the exception of maybe the 95 3800 f-bodies, all used MEMCALs, just like the classic OBD1 stuff.
                        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                        Latest nAst1 files here!
                        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Well, it wouldn't respond to my OBD2 reader, so it's probably a 95.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                            Well, it wouldn't respond to my OBD2 reader, so it's probably a 95.
                            some 95s, and even some late 94s had the OBD2 connector but were still OBD1, so you're probably correct in it being a 95.
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                            X