870 to 165 ECU, injectors pulsing way too fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 870 to 165 ECU, injectors pulsing way too fast

Figure I will see if I can maybe widen the potential knowledge base and post this up here too, did an ECU swap to convert my car to DIS, the DIS part is working just fine, plugs are firing great, but for some reason my injectors are pulsing too fast, I have a thread started on the TGO forum already, so I will just link to it:

DFI and ECM - 870 ECU to 165 ECU swap, injectors pulsing too fast - Ok so as some of you might already know I recently swapped my ECU to run DIS, I now finally know the problem causing the car to not run, my injectors are pulsing way too fast, but Idk what would specifically would cause this, my instructor says...
    sigpic
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390342...evrolet-camaro

That guy on TGO may be onto something with the v8 code.

The nitty gritty:

My memcal doesn't have any kind of cover on it, is it possible the bin it had, was erased by sunlight and it reverted to its original bin maybe?
    Short answer, no. Not possible, well, to an extent. The information on the chip (the .bin) is erased by UV light, so it's possible (if the chip sat out without the silver sticker for a long time, the sticker is what covers the UV window on the chip) that the sun could erase the chip, but it's not going to revert back to the original bin without the aid of a chip burner.

yeah see, I am missing that cover piece, so I guess I don't have that #...but he sent the ECU as complete ready to run and preprogrammed.
    You don't need the blue cover, the silver sticker with the BCC is right on the chip covering the UV erase window. If you don't have the sticker and you don't see a window, it's possible that the original chip (EPROM- Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) has been removed and replaced with a new one (EEPROM- Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory). When tuning OBD1 the old fashioned way people do this and let the chip burner erase the chip in seconds before writing the new code to it. Otherwise it takes 10-15 minutes in a UV light chip eraser, and you only get a few burns before the chip can go bad, vs probably thousands of erase/write processes with an EEPROM.

If you do not have the sticker and it's an EEPROM, you are going to have to either buy your own, or find someone local, or semi-local, or mail your chip to someone to have it read so the BCC and code mask can be found out to determine which code is being run on that ECM.

I'm kinda curious how you know the injectors are firing too fast, though...
    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Sunlight, unless concentrated and focused onto the window of the eprom will not erase the information and even in that case the heat of the IR band would cause the chip to fail before the UV band would erase the info.

the UV bulb in a chip eraser is extremely powerful. It's badass enough to give you skin cancer in a matter of minutes. I have one and it takes roughly an hour of exposure to erase a 27C256 chip.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

An hour huh? Odd, Ben must have had a very bad to the bone one because I could have sworn his did it in about 15 minutes.

Also, OP, you do know your car was made to run in batch fire mode, right? Old multiport engines were set up to run in batch fire, where all injectors fire at once, not separate like sequential injection on the newer engines.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I'm thorough with the UV eraser, it might actually take less time but it's annoying when you have one that doesn't blank check.

I get 27C256 Eproms for free from work, usually with just 1 burn on them so that's what i sell all my tunes on.
          Past Builds;
          Current Project;

Comment

I know its pulsing the injectors too fast from a test light you plug into an injector connector, kind of like a spark plug checker. And yes I know its batch fire and not SFI, question about its batch firing though, does it fire in cylinder banks, or ALL injectors at once? And either way its still most likely the cause, I suspected the problem was fuel ever since the swap, and a spark plug checker showed that the DIS end of my conversion was a smashing success, which doesn't leave much else to question, especially with a new fuel pump, and filter and no leaks in the lines.
            sigpic
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390342...evrolet-camaro

Comment

all at once, not bank. Its either the tune or the wiring, but I didn't read the thread:P My UV eraser took 15min or the chip never would erase, either way:P I am done with 27C256.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

datalog.......
                Past Builds;
                Current Project;

Comment

Working...