Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93-95 F-body, does the ECU have the PCM in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93-95 F-body, does the ECU have the PCM in it?

Basically my DIS and ECU conversion haven't exactly worked out for me yet, hopefully I will get to the bottom of it, but if I don't, I am considering my other options, and the most appealing if doable is to get the wiring harness and ECU from a 93-95 F-body.
    To fill you in on my setup, its an 85 camaro with a 3.4 from a 4th gen swapped in, initially I ran it on a dizzy, but have now switched over to DIS, and a '165 ECU, I believe the EEPROM might be bad, but things have a way of never being simple for me, so I am looking into alternatives.

What I need to know is whether or not there are any 3.4 equipped 4th gen F-bodies that had standalone ECUs, ie. with the PCMs not built into them, I am wanting to say that a manual shouldn't have the PCM at all, correct? But wouldn't the ECU also be setup differently? And is there any chance the 93s still had mechanically operated transmissions, cause I am wanting to say that I vaguely recall the first year 4th gens did...
    My only other alternatives if I can't get to the bottom of my problem are reverting to my old setup, which would require new intake manifolds(discovered mine were cracked, hence the switch), or going old school, ripping it all out, putting on a carb and vacuum advance dizzy. Downside here is cost, and not being able to swap to aluminum heads in the future, which is the other half of the reason for my conversion.
    sigpic
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/390342...evrolet-camaro

ECM = engine control module (obd1)

PCM = powertrain control module (obd2)

They are the same thing... PCMs also control the tranny, although some obd1 ecms do too.

Sent from my Galaxy Prevail using Tapatalk.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

You don't want to touch the 94-95 F-body PCM's as they are OBD1.5 and flash-programmed (and not hacked, last I remember). Yes, the 93 F-body uses the 4L60(non-E), same as the 92. Which is the same as the 700R4 (blasted government mandated a common name for all auto tranny's, which is why the 700R4 became the 4L60, and others got adhered to the same standard).

I'm pretty sure I have an ECM in the garage that interchanges with the 93 F-body, will have to double-check. And yes, I know I still need to get to the post office about those MEMCALs.

Comment

It's not time sensitive, just don't take more than 2 weeks, lol, and I would like to compensate you for the shipping at least, and That is what I had suspected, that they had the 4l60 in first year, which yeah, is basically a renamed late model 700r4, if I go that route though I am going to probably find a donor car, as I will want the whole wiring harness and shit, and a cam sensor, since the one on my engine, the plastic flange on it with the bolt hole to locate it properly is broken.
        sigpic

Comment

16172693, 16184737, 16196397 if your pcm is either of those listed numebers there is someone currently hacking them and they will in fact be tunable then.
          Researching phase for project ( screamer engine reseach, in the coming years)

Comment

Yeah I recall reading somewhere that someone was working on that funky non obd1 or obd2 ECU.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah i am testing for him as he gets everything sorted out. Great guy.
              Researching phase for project ( screamer engine reseach, in the coming years)

Comment

I'm also testing for madtuner, and he is working on the "OBD 1.5" PCMs... and he really is a great guy.
                sigpic
                "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

i hate to post to a thread this old, but has there been any progress in working with the obd 1.5 ?

Comment

I have been successfully running Madtuner's custom tune in my Chevette (3.4L/4L60E from 94 Camaro) for about 500 miles and I couldn't be happier. He seems to have nailed down the shift points properly and the car runs like a beast. I hope to visit him at some point this year so he can check the car out in person and do any fine tuning if necessary. Highly recommended!
                    sigpic
                    "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Working...
                    X