Code mask help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code mask help!

I have spent months reading through countless posts on here and other sites as well trying to educate myself on swapping a 3x00 into a 93 grand am gt I have. I've amassed a pile of parts and on my way! I don't quite understand code masks that everyone talks about . I DO understand they are car @ drivetrain specific. I have a 7730 pulled from a 89 cavalier that I also got the muncie trans from . It was a 2.8 car. The # on the chip inside the ecm is " APUY 2464".Have another ecm bought with a 3400 with another muncie 5spd. bolted to it, #88999196 which found out is a remanned 7730. Number inside that one is"BCFC 1592". Now for the questions-what do the numbers mean?Are the code masks chip specific? So if I get a chip made will code be able to change with it? Got many more questions but lets stickto the simple ones first . Thanks.

short version:

you can run whatever mask you want so long as it will run in that ECM.

a 7730 can run a LOT of different masks.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

So I am to understand I could use any 7730 and just get chips burned to different applications? Is there a list of code masks ?Do you have any idea if the "chip@mask" in my 9196 ecm is able or correct to run 3400 -5spd combo? And if I would be able to get it running and then get my chip made after im sure of all my wiring etc.?

Comment

any 1227730 is identical to every other 1227730. remans are the same. a 7730 used on a 1991 camaro 5.7TPI is the same as the one that runs a 93 cavalier 3.1... the MEMCALs are the difference between them.

the MEMCAL contains 4 elements, essentially. the PROM(which you'll bypass with the tune), the knock filter(which is basically bore size specific, with some leeway), and two little chips under the knock filter. those are really only important if/when the ECM goes into limp-home mode. just match those to the correct cylinder count and injection scheme(TBI vs multiport) and you'll be fine unless you get into limp-home mode.

a list of 60V6 code masks that run on the 7730:

46, 55 (these are the masks that used the early MAFs that were prone to failure)
        6D, 88, 8F, A1 (all speed-density, 8F is 2BAR)

you can definitely run a 3400/5 speed... start with a 2.8 or 3.1 MEMCAL, i'm not sure how well the 3.4(LQ1) knock filter plays with OHV engines.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

The part number for the 93-95 3.4L knock sensor crosses over to the 3.4L DOHC so I'm thinking the knock filter would be compatible, yes?
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

well..... maybe. i've ran a LQ1 knock filter on the 3100 before, whether it actually picks up knock the way it should, i don't know.

the filter and sensor don't always interchange. from what i can tell, GM used the sensor as a rough estimate of knock frequency, then used the filters to further refine it.

for those REALLY into electronics, the LQ1 filter compared to a 2.8/3.1 has less gain in the noise channel.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Ok ,the memcal is the removable chip, correct? Is there a way to tell what code mask the memcal has by the numbers on it ?Like the ones I listed before? The first ecm I know what it came from because I pulled it from the car,but the second one came from an "unknown "& btw thank you for info!

Comment

there's a 4 letter code on the MEMCAL or on the PROM itself, silver sticker.

APUY = 89 J-body, 2.8, 5 speed
                BCFC = 91 L-body, 3.1, 5 speed

BCFC is probably A1
                APUY is probably 6D

but either should work equally well for you since the 2.8 and 3.1 use the same knock filter.
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Do yourself a favor and start with an $A1 mask file.

BFUZ is the base mask i used for all the 5 speed 3x00 swap chips i've sold over the years. It works well. There should be a file in the downloads section on this site, and i know there is one in a tuning sticky on v6z24.com.

If you want something with some more power check out Robert's nAst1 (link in his sig). That would be a great file to start with.
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                  X