Getting started: coding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started: coding

does anyone know of any good books or websites that explain how to read the code that our PCM's run?

any tips or tricks you can recommend?

Thanks-

Eric
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

What are you trying to do?

I've been down a similar path (I Think).

If you are trying to tune you'll need to update parameters or coefficients on the Flash or EPROM which are stored in binary. So you'll need a binary to hex program and a way of downloading or reading the data.

You'll also have to figure out what each bit is doing.

If you want to rewrite the code completely you'll have to either learn the processor instruction set or get the proper compiler and learn the language it uses. Most common are derivatives of the ANSI C language.

Hope this helps.

Comment

well, for starters, I'd like to expand the Fuel and Ignition tables to at least 8000 RPMs, along with expanding the MAF and MAP tables a bit.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

if you were playing with something that used a 68HC11 processor(and some early OBD2 stuff(up until ~1999 or so) did, just no 60/90 V6 stuff), i could point you in the right direction, but the 68332 is a whole different ball game.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

If you are contemplating rewriting the OS you could pick any ECU you want.

Best finding an aftermarket ECU like a Halteh or being prepared to spend some serious time and money to reprogram one.

However I'd be willing to bet that someone has done it to a GM OBD I ECU.

I'm running not the same problem with adding turbo control to my LZG.... So it's time for a custom ECU

Comment

well, I'm not quite ready to say I want to start from scratch, but I do think we could do some pretty badass stuff with our PCMs. as I learn more about them, I'll get a thread going that outlines everything I know, so anyone can pick it up and roll with it.

Comment

Working...
            X