starter wiring for 5spd swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter wiring for 5spd swap

not sure if this is in the right spot but seemed like the best place for it? lol

anyways finished a lx9/5spd swap in my 03 grand am and not sure how to get the starter to crank with the key, I can get it started by jumping the solenoid and having someone turn the key

from the N-body 5/6spd swaps I've seen I think all have been pre 2002 and have used this for wiring
    Originally posted by timka86
    The automatic transmission position switch has two plugs, this is the switch that sits on top of the shifter level on the trans.(don't have a picture of it right now)

Connector C1

and C2

On connector C1, cut and splice together the purple and yellow wires (they are the two fattest wires), G & E to allow the starter to crank..
    I don`t have these thick wires, wires don't match the diagram and I only have 6 wires in C1 lol
    these are the wires from my trans position switch, my G is purple and E is purple with a white line

any help?

I believe the starter relay for your car is in the underhood fusebox and is controlled by the PCM, which is likely the source of your issue here. The PCM likely needs to see a ground on one or more of those wires to allow the starter to engage. I assume you still have the auto trans, you could plug the gear select switch into the connector and test from there.

I assume you've retained the original PCM, and if that is the case then the PASSLOK system will need to be dealt/intefaced with.

Comment

ya I was planning to plug the switch back in tomorrow and see what happens and I have my original PCM but its been flashed with HPT so should be good for passlock crap I think

Comment

Looking at those pinouts you posted more closely. I would bet that you need to connect the yellow, which is purple in your car(E) and purple/white(G) wires together on the C1 connector. You can test this with a DMM while turning the ignition to crank connecting the DMM to the purple wire (G). If it goes to 12V in the crank position this is your feed from the ignition switch, purple white would go the starter relay.

B and F would be for the reverse lights, which your transaxle should have a switch for, if not it will be mounted on the shifter in the vehicle the transaxle would have come from.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

thanks, your right! G(purple) was my 12v with key on and jumped it to E(purple/white) and she fired right up with the key B and F are for reverse like you said, wired that up the other day and the J-body pigtail was even the same colors

Comment

Yeah, sorry to have led you off in the wrong direction initially, I skimmed the diagrams and read a couple of the functions wrong.

Glad you got it working.

Comment

no worries, a buddy also sent my a wiring diagram if anyone else needs it for something... I'm told 2001 V6 was the last year to get the thick yellow and purple wires on the trans switch

I'm thinking over winter I'll wire G and E to my clutch pedal to make it start like a normal manual car should

Comment

Working...
              X