EGR delete/shutoff @ the ECM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR delete/shutoff @ the ECM?

So, can the EGR be deleted and or shut off at the ECM? If yes, approximately up to what model year? Oh, pushrod engine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Using HP Tuner I was able to completely delete the EGR in a 2004 Grand Am (LA1). I ended up using the EGR pintle position signal as a wideband O2 input for dataloging and tuning. Engine runs great and doesn't run any hotter than before!

Comment

Your combustion chamber temps will be higher. But that's good for a cleaner, more complete burn and NOx should go down. May even see a bit of mpg improvement.

Comment

Now that you mention that I went back and looked at a few datalogs. The engine temps are up a few degrees. This would indicate a rise in combustion chamber temps as you mentioned. Still only gets up to 105/107°C sitting in a drive thru for 5-10min @ 32°C (ambient temperature). With my ram air the IATs hit 45-50°C at those same temperatures. I know before I added the ram air it could creep up north of 60-70°C at stop lights.

I have seen an increase of 50km/tank. Wasn't sure what to attribute that to. Could be a number of things, along with the EGR delete. Thanks for the information.

So what year ECU/ECM do you have? and do you have access to any ROM editing/ECU flashing software?

Comment

No prob. Things I been learning while being around diesels.
          I don't currently have a 60°V6. Just asking key questions before I buy.
          About a decade ago I used to be a reg around here. Knew one of the brass around here. But that was a lifetime ago. Don't even remember my old sign in stuff.

No, I don't have any flashing software. I counted on others for that.

Comment

EGR does not increase a gasoline engine's combustion temps or end-result EGTs.... it causes both of them to be lowered significantly, which causes less NoX to be generated.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Agree 100%. That's what we are both saying.

We are saying that if you were to delete the EGR, the combustion temps will increase..... Slightly!

Comment

Originally posted by thetruckster View Post
                No prob. Things I been learning while being around diesels.
                I don't currently have a 60°V6. Just asking key questions before I buy.
                About a decade ago I used to be a reg around here. Knew one of the brass around here. But that was a lifetime ago. Don't even remember my old sign in stuff.

No, I don't have any flashing software. I counted on others for that.

Who'd you know? Most of the brass are still here, just not as active...
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Ben, SappySE

Comment

Oh yeah, Ben is still around and still running WOT-Tech.
                    -Brad-
                    sigpic

Comment

Oh ok. Not familiar with WOT-Tech.

Comment

-Brad-
                        sigpic

Comment

<<<<Ben too.

Comment

So, how new can I buy and still do, or have done, ECM tunes? I'm thinking a 3400 because I'm not familiar with anything newer.

Comment

Working...
                            X