change memcal -MAF to MAP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change memcal -MAF to MAP?

I was wondering what the deal is with changing the memcal on the '88 2.8 engine. If I understand correctly, to change from MAF to MAP you change the memcal chip to one from a 3.1L that has a MAP sensor?
    Which brings the next question, I don't know anything about MAPs, so how do you wire/bolt on that thing? I've been trying to read up on this stuff but still have questions that have probably been asked before.

Thanks guys

ps. I'm not sure if this is in the right section .. move it to the pushrods if you want.

This section is fine....

As far as the MAP goes, you already have one bolted up. MAF cars actually use both a MAP and MAF, but the MAF is the primary. As far as the PROM goes, there is a specific PROM out there I think for this particular swap. It is direct from GM. I know you can't just take any 3.1L PROM and swap it in. Ben might be able to hook you up with a PROM for a decent price.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

So is there no recall for this specific problem?

Yeah, I'd like to get that damn SES light off, and maybe be able to pass the e-test next time.

So the 3.1 PROM doesn't work, but what if you were to swap the MAP as well (if there is a difference). I'd rather go to the wreckers and pull the junk out than pay for new stuff. Oh well whatever works (and doesn't break!)

Comment

The wreckers will probably charge you about as much as Ben would...
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

The wreckers are stupid too.. they'd probably give me the same one I already have

Comment

I cant just erase the stock prom...and I have 2 eeproms left which I need to sell in the perf chips so I can afford to buy more.

Its a 2.8 chip that uses the MAP sensor...thats all you need. You may be able to find one at a junk yard. ASWH is the chip you need if you have a 4 speed auto.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks Ben. I'll take a look and see what they got at the wreckers later this week and tell you how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X