7x reluctor ring first sample received for testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7x reluctor ring first sample received for testing

Sorry to direct to another site where the picture is posted, but unless the new site here allows direct posting of pictures I don't have much of a choice.

PM me if you are interested:

Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2006, 02:33 PM.

I will probably be selling these on the 60V6 store once they are tested. fiero.nl does not allow direct linking to pictures and I am banned from that site because of its lame "voted off the island" approach so I can't post there.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by sappyse107
      fiero.nl does not allow direct linking to pictures and I am banned from that site because of its lame "voted off the island" approach so I can't post there.
      Must be the fear of competition or loss of traffic and because they allow direct posting of pictures on the site. I didn't know posting links to other sites was prohibited. I have done it on occassion but only for the purpose of making information available that belonged to someone else. I'm surprised that no one has contacted me so far, I'll save up some extra cash and have some extras made anyway.

The Fiero owners have not accepted the aluminum head V6s as viable swaps, opting in favor of the iron head rear drive 3.4L. or some more tedious swap. I would have posted the info here if it was possible for me to post the picture directly.

I'm keeping an eye on availability and noticed that their are about 3-4 3900s available, I'm just not willing to break with ~$1000 for one. There is also a machine shop locally that does offset grinding so the combination of an offset grind in a 3900 using the shorter 3400 rods with the 3900 pistons sounds promising and likewise for the 3500. I like the idea of pushing the 60 degree engine to the extent of the smallblock chevy which has displacements as high as 454 cu in +.

My goal is a 12sec flat 1/4 or faster but I'm not sure if the 3500 cam'd, turbocharged and patiently tuned will be enough to get me there in a Fiero. Z24 is almost there at 12.5 with a stock 3400 so it's encouraging.

The Fiero is already tail heavy so although I like V8s, having built one and noted the tail heavyness and it's effect on handling it's not an option unless it comes within 50lbs of the V6 combo in the Fiero.

Comment

You should be able to post images here directly...
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
          You should be able to post images here directly...
          I don't have the time or the patience at the moment go figure out how.

Comment

Uhh... When you reply to a thread, instead of using the quick reply, hit the "Go Advanced" button. A new screen appears and under the Additional Options area is the "Attach Files -> Manage Attachments" selection. The upload from your computer.

I know it is almost as difficult as brain surgery, but now you've had the extensive training...
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Thank you very much sir, the first time I took that route I didn't get the quick an easy screen I did the second time, I think I scrolled down into the area that is as complicated as brain surgery. I posted the pic in the initial thread.

So far I have sent a request to the machinist for cost consideration for the following modifications:

going to 5/16" thick from 1/4"
              incorporating a .130" step in one side to accomodate the one on the crank backing surface which might throw the ring off center of the sensor button.

Increasing the inner diameter so that the ring can be slipped on by hand.

Shortening the notch depth from .25" to .21" to match that on the 3400 crank being used for reference.

I have figured out an excellent method of securing the ring to the crank if I can find the supplies.

Comment

Well thanks for jumping at the task! I'm sure I say for all of us Pushrod owners we really apprecieate it. My question is how do you oreint the tone ring precisily and mount it securly?
                Lorenzo
                '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Originally posted by gpse3400
                  Well thanks for jumping at the task! I'm sure I say for all of us Pushrod owners we really apprecieate it. My question is how do you oreint the tone ring precisily and mount it securly?
                  "Elementary my dear Watson", you have the ring cut to slip over the crank mounting surface snuggly along with 2 or 3 tapped holes in the ring for tiny allen head screws to lock it in place, similar to what's often used on pinion gears on small motors. The screws would be at the bottom of a notch where they shouldn't interrupt the trigger signal. as for lining up the ring, since it will be able to rotate in place with the screws loose, you simply rotate the crank to top dead center for cyl #1, then center trigger point #1 with the sensor button and tighten it down.

That's with the sensor spacer in place.

What do you think?

Comment

I say fantastic!
                    Last edited by gpse3400; 06-05-2006, 11:09 PM.
                    Lorenzo
                    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I want one. But first, I must pick up a crank.

Comment

i say "what does 7x mean?"
                        If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Its a 6x +1 reference. It lets the computer know the position of the pistons basically, at 60 degree offsets. The reference notch is 10 degrees after the TDC for number 1 piston I believe.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Wow that ring is hauntingly similar to the one (actually 10) I made.
                            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I'm not done with it yet, there are some improvements needed for perfection. Reminds me of the V8 Archie vs. KFG kit manufacturers for the V8 Fiero swap, is it really an issue of one copying off the other or task at hand limiting everyone to a small number of options to arrive at the same goal. There is only one effective way to make a wheel; round.

My version is the only one that I have seen except for an external wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X