Desired ECU Serv # for f-body tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desired ECU Serv # for f-body tuning

I have a 1994 ECU now, and I'm looking to switch to an ECU w/ removable PROM. Which ECUs should I be looking for? When I look up 1993 Pontiac Firebird on car-part.com I also see 1993 Luminas, Regals, Cutlasses, and Grand Prixs too. Those aren't iron heads are they? Don't I need an iron head ECU for proper ignition timing or some such?

Perhaps it's just a matter of switching the PROM, but I'm just a beginner to tuning (researching still) and would like something I can drop in immediately without having to source a chip.

Thoughts? Are there specific ECU #s I should be looking for?
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Which vehicle(s) would I be most likely to find that in?

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        LOL, that's not eactly a direct plug in. ROFL

I'm not aware of any direct plug ins for your application that will allow easy tunability.

A 7730 or if your ECM is mounted under the hood (Ihave to assume this is for one of the swapped vehciles in your sig), a 7727, would give you the ability to use quite a few different BCCs and masks out there, $A1, $8F, $58, $59, $88, $8D/S_AUJP, etc.

None of these are SFI though.

About the only OBD1 SFI ECM that I can think of is the Turbo Regal/Grand National 1227148. This is a MAF ECM, and is quite rare. I happen to have one, that I will be using on my test bench (once I figure out how to simulate the MAF signal). The only reason I have this ECM is because a friend of mine has a TR that I will be tuning for him.

This ECM will NOT provide any tranny controls, if you have an Automatic tranny.

BTW, would you be interested in selling your 3.4 PCM? I have a desire to try and hack that ECM to make it tunable, but it will be an undertaking that will take a few years and possibly a few PCMs to get it done.

Comment

I could have sworn I replied to this already.

My application is an Isuzu Trooper with a 5-speed manual. No tranny controls needed. My ECU is currently in the glove box, but I was hoping to move it out to the engine bay. I can make either work. The ECU used to be in my center console, but my new wiring didn't end up being long enough. Also, I have the connectors for the underhood type. I don't really want to change the ECU connectors if I don't have to. If I could get a whole engine harness for the ECU, I wouldn't care.

I want to hang on to my M/T ECU, but I have an A/T one if that helps. I'm currently running a #16196742, and I have a #16184737 on the shelf.

Would it be advantageous to convert over to MAF?
          Last edited by Canyonero; 10-16-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I googled the Serv# I'm using (16196742), and I'm not sure it's the right one either. Thoughts?

Looks like I can get the 1227727 and a harness pigtail off ebay.

Comment

IMO no, there are no real advantages switching to MAF, though I could have sworn that the 3.4 SFI PCM was a MAF system.

Anyway, if you're not worried about retaining SFI, then the '7730 (under dash) or '7727 (Under hood). There's a later underhood ECM that is said to be a better option due to increased SRAM, I don't recall the service number and I'm not really sure how much of a difference it will make.

These ECMs can use a number of different codes/masks, so the options for tuning and upgradability is virtually limitless using these ECMs.

Comment

To keep the off topic discussion out of the B/S/T forum....

Depending on what your ultimate goals are, the OBD1 ECM can be made to work very well with just about any set-up out there.

I'm currently running a '7749 with $59 in my 1973 Datsun 240, running a Nissan 2.8L I6.

Running the 3.4 will be no problem at all.

If I was in your shoes I would look at either the '7730 as an under dash option, or since you want to re-gain your glove box, a '7727 would be a very good option as well, since this is an under hood version of the '7730.

The '7727 came in many early '90s W-bodies, also used in some Corvettes of about the same time. Getting an ECM and harness from a W-body would likely be the best option.

The only thing you will lose with this is the SFI, which IMO isn't that big of a deal.

you can use many different bin files (and masks) to get the best match to your combination.

Comment

I ordered a 1227727. Will I still need a VATS bypass with the '7727? Any other considerations? Trying to find a new harness to work with now...

Comment

The need for a "VATS bypass" soley depends on the code (bin) being used.

Just as an example, in a '7730, using $A1 (60 degree V6 bins), there are no parameters for VATS, but in the same ECM using $8D (SBC , usually F-body) has VATS parameters in the bin.
                    Also within the $8D bins there is a "flag" that can be turned off to disable the VATS. Really it comes down to how the specific bin you are using is set-up. I would say that since you are wanting to get into tuning, you'll either choose a bin that doesn't use VATS, or turn it off anyway.

Comment

Sweet. I don't know much about tuning yet, but it sounds like there are some knowledgeable people around here

Comment

Maybe this is a question I'm not supposed to ask, but: where do I get the .bin files?

So I have a 7727, do I need to order an adapter with a ZIF socket? Or can (should?) I do everything with an emulator?

Comment

-Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I have or have ordered about everything I need to get started with this swap, short of the wiring harness itself (I'll call some yards tomorrow). So, I apologize if someone has answered this for me already and I didn't read it as such: what would be the best starting point .bin for my 3.4L iron head engine with a 5-speed?

I have a 1227727 ECU (came w/ AXKK chip), the Moates APU1 device, ordered a memcal adapter w/ ZIF and a couple chips, and I'm hoping to get a W-body harness so I don't have to mess around with the harness connector.

Comment

Ok, got a W-body harness on the way. Sweet! Now all I need is snow tires and chains for the little car so I'll have something to drive when I'm working on the Trooper. And I need my roomie to get his damn stuff out of my garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X