DIY BIN switcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY BIN switcher

fun little project for anyone proficient with a soldering iron....

i did some reading HERE

and understand binary MUCH better, but more importantly, i now understand how PROMs are read, and what the purpose is of the many addressing lines.

now, when it comes to PROMs of different capacities, but still using the same package and for the most part, the same pinouts(27C128,27C256,27C512 as used in GM P4 OBD1 ECM/PCMs), it becomes a game of very simple changes necessary to stick in a higher capacity PROM and be able to use all of the space it grants, rather than just the one "block" used to store 1 tune.

now, if we constantly apply 5 volts to a specific address pin, it will always be locked to a "1". now, if we use a 27SF512 for an example in a application that originally used a 27C256, all of the addressing lines will be used normally, except for the most-significant one (A15). now, normally, that pin is going to always be 0(no voltage at pin), so the ECM will use the information found in bytes 8000-FFFF. however, if we apply 5 volts to the pin, then it will use the information found in 0000-7FFF. are we starting to see how this could be useful?

now, since the pin will normally be 0 volts at all times in an application that originally used a 256(or even a 128 ), then all we would need is to have a way to connect and disconnect the 5Volt supply at one of the pins on the SF512. the diagram half-way down the page is a VERY good example of what to do. i've taken a look at the moates 2-timer and it looks like they use a 1K resistor, not the 4.7K shown in the diagram. regardless, they're cheap and common resistors.

conveniently, Vcc/Vdd and A15 are directly across from one another as you'll see in the diagram i have uploaded. since i don't like the idea of having stuff that is hard to interchange if/when stuff breaks, i have a couple of 28-pin DIP sockets on the way, which i will be soldering the resistor to so in case the SF512 dies on me, i can pry it out of the DIP socket and replace it in seconds, rather than desoldering the damn thing.

now, according to the diagram, the switch is between the resistor and A15 pin(it says A14, but that's because they are referencing a 27C128 application, not a 27C256). and the other terminal of the switch goes to ground, and then allows for pin A15 to be switched between 5V and 0V, allowing for 8000-FFFF and 0000-7FFF respectively.

now another little trick

if you look at the SF512 diagram a little closer and know some electrical stuff, you'll notice that pin 14 (Vss) is a ground, which is at the bottom of the row that the A15 pin is in. now that can make your job even simpler, since you won't have to try and find/make a ground somewhere in car, assuming you don't want the switch somewhere outside of the ECM. if you want the switch mounted on the dash, for example, you should ground elsewhere, since making a ground cable go all the way back to the ECM is likely longer than it would need to be.

so, for all the other DIY OBD1 tuners out there, go nuts, since all of this can be implimented for less than $5 and a couple of minutes of time. larger capacity chips can also be used, but are a bit more complex.
    Attached Files
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
    are we starting to see how this could be useful?
    Fuel type tunes (regular vs premium- spark timing wise), track mode (higher shift points for autos), valet mode (cut tons of timing, ect for when the "other half" drives the car unattended ) come to mind.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

all that.... and more.

including one that most people could appreciate: security mode. just zero out all fuel related parameters and then the engine can never start/run, just crank and crank. i guess it could also be used to clear a flooded motor as well....
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

just got the protoype finished, a few things to note: as long as the ground switch is disconnected, the 27SF512 reads, writes and erases exactly as it should. with the ground connected, however, it doesn't read correctly(i didn't want to write or erase it and potentially junk the chip). so, as long as the most significant pin is not grounded, it will act perfectly normal in a burner. i'm about to go stick it in the car, record a 200RPM idle difference between two tunes and upload it to youtube, just waiting for the camera to charge a bit...

using the TP bin stacker, i put the normal BIN in position 0, and the 200RPM higher idle in position 1.

oh, and if you like temporary stuff, you'll like my temporary "switch"
        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Might be $25 more then a DIY rig but you get a free 512 chip and it's much less work.. haha
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

i'm quickly embracing diy anything for 2 reasons: cost and ease of repair.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

hmm.... slight update:

i'm not entirely sure why, but when i connect the highest address pin to ground when in vehicle, the ECM acts like there is NO code on the chip at all... it refuses to run the fuel pump, fans, i don't know about injectors, but the engine simply will not fire with the pin grounded... acts completely normal with the "switch"(jumper wire at the moment) is disconnected from the ground, but it instantly kills the motor if the pin is connected to ground for even the tiniest fraction of a second....

i'm wondering if it was my choice of resistor... i couldn't find my 1K resistors i just got for my first DIY ALDL cable, so i tore apart a smoke detector and grabbed a 9.7K resistor(which fit perfectly between the two rows of the DIP socket) and used that....

now the IROCZONE guide shown a 4.7K resistor, and from what i can tell, the moates 2Timer uses a 1K resistor(brown/black/red/gold), so is it possible i have too much resistance? i've also tried both the ground that the PROM uses and an external one(somewhere on the radiator), both with the same results...

oh, and another reason why i'm trying not to use the 2-timer: it's too tall... the DIP socket i have on it now, plus the PROM, the MEMCAL cover just BARELY fits over... i like to keep things somewhat hidden.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

more slight update goodness:

from what i'm reading, i should NOT have soldered pin 1(A15) from the socket into the MEMCAL... reason being, i guess it's connected somewhere on the PCB of the ECM... so when i had the "switch" open, it acted perfectly normal and ran normally with a 9700 ohm resistor between the +5V line on the PROM(pin 28 IIRC), but when i connected the A15 pin to ground(pin 14), it shorted something?

i'm going to look into it more when i have a few more chips... i seemed to have killed the highest address line of this one, so now it only works with 32KB binaries... but i have 5 on the way, and 1 of them is earmarked for a guy i'm helping with a TBI350 boat...
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

GREAT SUCCESS!

too bad a 200RPM idle speed difference is WAY too subtle to capture on video...

this time i removed the joint between the A15 pin and a DIP adapter i have on my MEMCAL, then i soldered a 10K resistor between pin 1 and the top of the DIP socket for pin A15. then i soldered a SMALL wire on the lead of the resistor on the A15 side. now i just connect that wire to ground(either on the MEMCAL itself or a chassis ground) and then i have my second tune.i ran it through the BIN stacker in tunerpro and put the lower idle(normal) in the "0" position, and the higher(+200) in the "1" position, then just burnt the 64KB combined BIN to the SF512 and i got the results i wanted(circuit shorted to ground allows the second tune).

the prototype looks ghetto as hell, but hey, it was a sunday morning and it works perfectly. now i guess i can move onto my mode 4 project.

off to go make a +500 BIN, record it, maybe take a pic and report back.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

pics of prototype... since i know exactly how it works now, it can all be scaled to fit underneath the PROM since the DIP socket adds enough space for connecting a wire and a 1/4 watt resistor... and the little blue cover will fit perfectly if you route the wire correctly. if necessary, you can go REAL stealth and integrate the switch into the MEMCAL itself(using the PROM's ground), so you won't have a wire running out of the ECM.

and for the vid... it takes a little bit of time to react to the ground being connected/disconnected, but i'm not sure if that's due to the 10K resistor being more restrictive than the 1K moates uses or the 4.7K that the iroczone picture had, or if it is due to the "commanded idle speed delay" setting in the tune... either way, since i don't see many people using it for playing with their idle speed, it should be a non-issue.

for some reason, youtube felt the need to butcher the quality of both video and sound....

This is a little project I had going... cost a total of less than 50cents to make and it allows for a second tune on a single chip, all you have to do is add...

EDIT: that's odd... the video quality improved greatly in 5 minutes.... still VERY quiet though.

FINAL EDIT: ok, it's because it was only letting me view it at 240p or something... 360p and 480p are fine, i don't think i'll upload any more 720p movies since it doesn't gain much after that, but the filesize gets much larger.
                    Last edited by robertisaar; 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM.
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Interesting. I could see this being very useful as a tow/haul mode in my 94 like newer trucks have by changing the shift points in my 4L60E and anything else that could help...

91 SS . 3400/5spd - S&S, TCE, EP, FFP, SPEC, DSS, K&N . GEARHEAD dezign

Comment

too bad your 94 already uses a 512 chip... it would still be possible, but it wouldn't be as drop dead simple as stuff that used a 128 or 256 chip...

although, IIRC, the 94 had an option for a "manual/normal/performance" transmission switch that accessed different shift tables in the tune depending on the position of the switch...

that would be even easier to deal with, since you wouldn't have to mess with chips, just wire in a 3 position switch. i don't know how the tables are setup off hand, but they can be changed to suit anything.
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I looked at my BIN and it has normal, kickdown & 4WDlow tables. So I dont really think I can change one into a "tow" mode since I need all 3.

Too bad it's a 512 already.

91 SS . 3400/5spd - S&S, TCE, EP, FFP, SPEC, DSS, K&N . GEARHEAD dezign

Comment

assuming it's 0D, i found both normal and manual tables, but the performance table eludes me, and manual only effects the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts.
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

odd.... i can't find any diagrams showing the MNP switch in use.... it's mentioned in the hacks, but never in use....

in this situation, you would need something like a G3 from moates(which i use occasionally), since the pinout of chips larger than 28 pins varies slightly in that the top right pin is now used for power and what would normally recieve power on a 512 or smaller chip is now an address line.
                              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                              X